Sponsored by: APR

Engine cooling ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:51 PM
Jimmychowder
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine cooling ?

So it was kind of a hot day today (90's Fahrenheit) and I was out driving a little bit in the morning. When I got home, the car was in the garage and turned off. All of a sudden maybe couple minutes after car turned off, what sounds like the AC of the car turned on. Walked around the car and noticed the side vents was blowing out air. It was doing this for about a minute and then went to a lower power blow out for about 30 seconds and then stopped. It's almost as if the car was trying to cool off like a turbo'd car but the engine was actually off. When you put your hand next to the side vents, you can feel the air blowing out.

This is the first time I've heard the car do this. Is this normal?
Old 05-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmychowder
So it was kind of a hot day today (90's Fahrenheit) and I was out driving a little bit in the morning. When I got home, the car was in the garage and turned off. All of a sudden maybe couple minutes after car turned off, what sounds like the AC of the car turned on. Walked around the car and noticed the side vents was blowing out air. It was doing this for about a minute and then went to a lower power blow out for about 30 seconds and then stopped. It's almost as if the car was trying to cool off like a turbo'd car but the engine was actually off. When you put your hand next to the side vents, you can feel the air blowing out.

This is the first time I've heard the car do this. Is this normal?
Normal.

Engine compartment fan (or fans). They should pull air in through the side vents and blow it down and out from the bottom of the engine compartment.

If you hold your hand right at the side vent it can feel a bit like air is blowing out but unless is it hot it is just the air flowing around your hand and against the palm.

My 2002 Boxster's engine compartment fan would run sometimes after I parked it in the garage and left the car unlocked. Locked the fan won't run for some reason.

My 2003 Turbo engine compartment fan runs all the time (there's a 2nd fuse for this) and it will run even if the car is locked if the engine compartment heats up after the engine is shut off.

Anyhow, just normal. Appreciate that it is helping to keep the engine heat -- mainly from the exhaust -- from "baking" the engine compartment wiring/hoses/etc.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Jimmychowder
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting.

Been driving the car for about 4 months and this is the first time I noticed it haha

The car was unlocked. I opened the door and checked the interior whether it was powered on for some reason and it wasn't.

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:14 AM
Alpha.GT4
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

This is normal. The car continues to monitor engine compartment temperature even when it's off.

The fan turns on when engine dissipates too much heat into engine bay. To me that's a good thing. At least I know the car is making an attempt to lower chances of wires melting
Old 05-25-2017, 02:18 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

As already mentioned - normal.
When it's actually hot (over 110), it can do this for quite a while after driving.

Quick Reply: Engine cooling ?