Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Clubsport Maintenance, Updates, and Issues Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 07:41 PM
cwcsvt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT4 Clubsport Maintenance, Updates, and Issues Thread

I would like to start this thread asking all those owners of Clubsports to share their experiences with the car from a technical perspective. I am a new owner to the car and my car had about 900 miles on it when I bought it. It has been incredible to drive and own. I recently installed new brake pads and some new tires. During this time I noticed my rotors were beginning to show some cracking and signs of fatigue. I have asked Mooty for any info he has on maintenance on his car and he has gladly shared. I live in the NW and there are few of these cars around. I can do some DIY, but not a whole lot. I would love to see this thread grow with information and advice for owners of this great car. If you are an owner and have knowledge of issues, tips and tricks or other data relative to the clubsport, please chime in. As time goes on I am sure we will all experience some wear items or challenges with the car that would help give others insight in the future. Thank you in advance. I have attached a couple photos of my rotors as I am going to be purchasing some new ones. Mine have a few more miles on them, but I would like to have them ready. I also have new headers coming as well.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:41 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Did your car have the updates? Shocks? De-cat?
Old 05-12-2017, 01:46 AM
jlennox
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe a dumb question, as I am, but your pictures look as though the rotors simply sandwiches between the hub and, presumably, the inside face of the wheel. There's obvious "slack," for lack of smarter word, between the wheel stud and rotor. How is the rotor indexed to concentricity with the wheel/hub assembly? I feel it's safe to assume the rotor doesn't "wobble to and fro?" Sorry for the post with zero add value.

BTW - your GT is stupid awesome. Possibly the best car built thus far - congrats
Old 05-12-2017, 02:35 AM
cwcsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Did your car have the updates? Shocks? De-cat?
I dont know what the updates are. I bought the car with 900 miles on it and I think it has different shocks from stock. I have more suspension coming in from the previous owner as well as new headers. Still have a lot to learn.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:37 AM
cwcsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by jlennox
Maybe a dumb question, as I am, but your pictures look as though the rotors simply sandwiches between the hub and, presumably, the inside face of the wheel. There's obvious "slack," for lack of smarter word, between the wheel stud and rotor. How is the rotor indexed to concentricity with the wheel/hub assembly? I feel it's safe to assume the rotor doesn't "wobble to and fro?" Sorry for the post with zero add value.

BTW - your GT is stupid awesome. Possibly the best car built thus far - congrats
Thank you sir. As for the rotors, I can assure you they are adequately secured. The car brakes as hard as any car I have ever driven. No issue whatsoever. I agree, it is a fantastic car!
Old 05-12-2017, 09:57 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Jlenox, you can see the screw locating the rotor right there amongst the studs.

cwc, you have lots of life left on those rotors. dont worry about a crack until it goes edge to edge. have a set sitting aside but i would not take those off yet..
Old 05-12-2017, 10:40 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by zmon
Jlenox, you can see the screw locating the rotor right there amongst the studs.

cwc, you have lots of life left on those rotors. dont worry about a crack until it goes edge to edge. have a set sitting aside but i would not take those off yet..
+1 PFC rotors seem to crack a lot, but it's fine until you see something extend to, and exit the edge - or you have reach minimum thickness.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:22 AM
cwcsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
+1 PFC rotors seem to crack a lot, but it's fine until you see something extend to, and exit the edge - or you have reach minimum thickness.
Thank you guys. Trying to locate the best dealer to order new rotors to have on hand. Much appreciate the advice!
Old 05-12-2017, 03:49 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by cwcsvt
I would like to start this thread asking all those owners of Clubsports to share their experiences with the car from a technical perspective. I am a new owner to the car and my car had about 900 miles on it when I bought it. It has been incredible to drive and own. I recently installed new brake pads and some new tires. During this time I noticed my rotors were beginning to show some cracking and signs of fatigue. I have asked Mooty for any info he has on maintenance on his car and he has gladly shared. I live in the NW and there are few of these cars around. I can do some DIY, but not a whole lot. I would love to see this thread grow with information and advice for owners of this great car. If you are an owner and have knowledge of issues, tips and tricks or other data relative to the clubsport, please chime in. As time goes on I am sure we will all experience some wear items or challenges with the car that would help give others insight in the future. Thank you in advance. I have attached a couple photos of my rotors as I am going to be purchasing some new ones. Mine have a few more miles on them, but I would like to have them ready. I also have new headers coming as well.

That amount of cracking is pretty standard and would indicate you're just past 70% life. Good to go for a weekend at a track that's not super abusive on brakes.

We have 5 Clubsports in our shop that we look after, 2 of which are MR spec cars; i get to drive them during the PCA enduros and we campaign one of the MRs in IMSA and i get to drive that one as well. You want the updated aero, catless exhaust manifolds, revalved shocks and different springs & rubbers, all of which you may already have. There's a bolt for the rear control arms with a shorter head that was issued because of concerns over wheel clearance and there's also a flange or "donut spacer" for the axles that you will want to run if you're running more than 3.5 degrees rear camber. There are bulletins for intervals for master cylinder rebuilds and i think that it's worth rebuilding the calipers every few weekends - 4 maybe? We have run the PFC pads as well as we have experimented with alternate pads compounds from another manufacturer. If you are striking out, if you call the shop and ask for Wray, we can get you anything you need for the car.

They're really great cars. It's a shame they arent more readily available but that's good for resale! Congrats!
Old 05-12-2017, 04:48 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by cwcsvt
Thank you guys. Trying to locate the best dealer to order new rotors to have on hand. Much appreciate the advice!
Hit up clark @ apex.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:23 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

You were pretty quick at PIR last week
Old 05-14-2017, 01:31 AM
cwcsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by mr965
You were pretty quick at PIR last week
Thanks! Definitely an easy car to go fast in. Makes me feel like a hero! Lol. After going around that track in the GT3 I can say the Clubsport is so much more stable. I will be back there on the 8th I think.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:51 AM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all, a new Clubsport owner checking in. I would be very interested in trading info on experiences with the car. I had a qualified shop go through the car I purchased, they offered up some good tips, but it's on it's way home and I'll certainly have questions as I get to run and know the car. Looking forward to that!
Old 02-18-2018, 03:59 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Do you plan to race it?
Old 02-18-2018, 11:56 PM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

No plans for racing at the moment. I look forward to learning the car and driving at a couple tracks where I am a member and also whatever club days at different trfor PCA, BMWCCA, SCDA fit into schedules and such. I have been doing arrive and drive in my GT3 cars up till now, this will be a different thing understanding better after driving the car last Saturday. I think it will be fun and challenging.

Quick Reply: GT4 Clubsport Maintenance, Updates, and Issues Thread