Sponsored by: APR

Five stages of grief

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 04:16 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Sven76
OP said he hit a barrier due to loosing control after hitting standing water. So being too quick for the conditions was the cause. Once you hit something, all kind of strange things can happen.
Then the actual cause of the failure was the impact. Same as the other wheel I observed.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:56 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

OP sorry t hear about your incident but thanks for sharing with the community.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:06 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 92 Posts

Alan is right - too fast for conditions is really the bottom line even though it did not feel like it. It's hard to come to grips with going around 18 turns per lap under control and spinning on the straight. After seeing another 3rd gear go out this weekend (per the database thread) I had the thought that since I was going slower, perhaps I was in 3rd gear and it let go at that moment. However, that part of the course is 4th gear for me normally, and the lap prior was in 4th gear (per the track precision app video), so that theory probably does not hold up.

Working logistics today to get car back tomorrow.

There *may* be a curb just below the guard rail that the tire/wheel hit. That could explain the wheel damage and <hopefully> lack of body damage around the wheel. But the armco is painted green and there is green paint on the wheel, so there must have been contact at some point. The next time I am up there I will try to get permission to go to that area and look at it to try and figure out a bit more what might have happened.

Terry L: sorry for confusion. I mentioned USAA, but that is what my son has (he is in the Air Force) and I was referring to his policy very clearly/explicitly excluding DE events. I am guessing if I make the claim, I will also be cancelled so I will try to understand all of this before making the call on that. NC's insurance system is unique in that they use a "reinsurance facility" where about 25% of all drivers are placed. They call it a facility, but it is just another plan for high-risk drivers (as judged by each insurance company) that is subsidized by a tax on all insured drivers in NC. It allows anyone to buy the minimum liability insurance required by law - the price is higher than in a commercial company policy. The strange thing is that insurance companies sort of hide this whole thing from drivers - after going into the "facility" the policy is still managed by the same commercial insurance company and they interface with the state to process and manage the account. Chances are you would have to read the fine print on your statement to figure this out.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bretster
What is RLI?
RLI offers track day insurance so that if there is an incident on track that is not usually covered by regular insurance.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:22 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Very sorry to hear. BTDT...

May I ask what event this was at?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:43 PM
2fnquik
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

aryork thank you for sharing this experience with the community. As the old saying goes, there are only two types of drivers on track..
Old 05-07-2017, 12:09 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I was there that day and have exchanged PM's with OP.

I may or may not have communicated my points well with the OP, but IMO there was heavy rain at various times that day and I think he hydroplaned at Turn 7, spun, and hit the guard rail. In other words, it was not due to a wheel failure. It was too much rain and standing water (ponds). Honestly, it scared the sh*t out of me multiple times that day and I ended up taking a nap in the truck..

Last edited by the_vetman; 05-07-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:00 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
I have a ton of seat time in crap conditions, and I will agree on a GP type track with tons of overrun and gravel ... That said, it's all fun until you're along for a ride, with zero control and enough time to pray to the FSM before destroying your car. Even during drift training, I watched a guy write off a pristine 22B ..The only piece of concrete wall on the whole course and he found it once it started to rain.
Yup, I just won't track my car when it's raining...way too downside than upside. I'm already taking a risk when it's dry, why multiple that risk with rain/water.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:07 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I'm with you Martin.
Way too much at stake to go 1/2 speed (yawn)
This is not F1 nor WEC nor IMSA (hell even NASCAR doesn't race in the rain)
I have enough "car control" skills driving in 12" of snow and ice every other day in the northeast.
In the words of my esteemed Ortho classmate "When it rains, I go to the bar".

I carry Lockton right now, BTW but will switch to Open Track once I semi-retire next year and have more time for more important things , like the "track bucket list"
Yeah, I'm just a weekend DE wanna-be racer so no trophies, winning purses, and/or trophy girls for me. Also, most of the tracks around here don't have walls but after rain going off track will result in your car being stuck in a mud pit. Besides, I get sleepy and lazy when there's rain.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:12 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fnquik
aryork thank you for sharing this experience with the community. As the old saying goes, there are only two types of drivers on track..
Ha ha, thanks. Assuming I get my track "license" back from my wife, might be an opportunity for a few upgrades - most certainly rear toe links! Maybe you guys have some ideas for lines I could suggest to the repair shop like:
Sorry sir, we cannot get OEM parts and will have to send the car off to Manthey Racing for a full workup
or
Porsche quit making plastic trim pieces, but we can get these carbon fiber parts if you find them acceptable. (ahem, yes I do!).

Quick Reply: Five stages of grief