Any IPD plenum DIY experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:19 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Any IPD plenum DIY experiences?

I have my top engine cover off wiring up a PSE remote. Just realized that now would be the best time to install the IPD plenum and throttle body.

Anyone here do this themselves? How much time did it take once you had the engine cover off and were there any gotchas?

I already have race headers and a FVD tune so this might be a nice way to round out the package...
Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

I did this, make sure the rubber seals on each side fit correctly into the grooves of both the plenum and the runners.
It was originally designed for the 987 and therefore the change over valve bracket is in the wrong place and the wiring harness won't reach it, but I was able to tie wrap it to a hose so it doesn't flop around.
Also, don't be afraid to give the vacuum unit arm’s head a tap with a hammer to make it mate with the swivel on the plenum.
Don't recall how long it took, but it wasn't longer than a day.
Here's some good threads;
http://www.planet-9.com/981-diy-disc...r-removal.html
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...ce-so-far.html
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...led-981cs.html

Would like to know more about that PSE remote.
I have the solenoid disabled so it's loud all the time, but I'd like to be able to switch between that and the stock valve map.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:34 AM
sbarbour
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree no real surprises. I did the same..all at once. Probably 30min on the plenum swap once the engine was exposed.

Originally Posted by d00d
Would like to know more about that PSE remote.
I have the solenoid disabled so it's loud all the time, but I'd like to be able to switch between that and the stock valve map.
A hammer? I used pliers and just squeezed till it snapped on.

You can use alligator clamp jumper wires to complete the PSE circuit when the box isn't plugged in to restore original valve map.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:51 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

I was pretty easy to remove mine. I didn't install it. Hardest part for me was getting the metal bands threaded that clamp the plenum onto the throttle bodies. Car runs much better now without the IPD and GT3TB (for me at least).
Old 04-29-2017, 12:35 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Got mine installed tonight. Probably took me about an hour once the engine cover was off. As others stated, I had a heck of a time getting the screws on the clamps started. Ended up asking my son to push down with the screwdriver while I lifted the bottom portion of the clamp upwards.

Will start it and drive for a bit tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:12 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, that didn't go so well. Went to start it up this morning and major surging at idle - hunting between 1k - 3k.

Gotta take the cover off to look for a vacuum leak. Bummer since I was sure I had everything on properly.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:30 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

If you can't find any leaks, and don't have a COBB AP, you may need to go to the dealer for a TB calibration. Did you do the work with the battery disconnected? You may try by disconnecting the battery to see if it will relearn the TB positions once you connect the power back. Keep posting updates as I'm sure someone with experience in this mod will chime in.....
Old 04-29-2017, 05:41 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
If you can't find any leaks, and don't have a COBB AP, you may need to go to the dealer for a TB calibration. Did you do the work with the battery disconnected? You may try by disconnecting the battery to see if it will relearn the TB positions once you connect the power back. Keep posting updates as I'm sure someone with experience in this mod will chime in.....
CEL went away after a few days, no manual TB adaptation needed.
COBB doesn't seem to have this capability, as least none that I can find, maybe you are thinking of the Durametric?
Old 04-29-2017, 07:30 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

The passenger side seal was kinked underneath.

Wow, this really is the way the car should have come from the factory. Nice pull midrange to redline. A little louder intake noise with a nicer pitch. Must be the resonance via aluminum bs plastic.

Should've done it sooner.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:48 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Great news....it was a simple fix then.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:48 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

john - are you running a tune?

I have heard mixed impressions with the plenum/TB on our car, can't seem to get a consensus.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:33 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 65 Posts

the tune with all the package installed is a great add to the car for my experience
Old 05-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface

I have heard mixed impressions with the plenum/TB on our car, can't seem to get a consensus.
Tough one. I also have the upgraded TB/Plenum but I did all at once with a Tune so I really can not tell what did what. I will say that the LT Headers helped the dips and mid-range and the TB/Plenum helps the upper rev range- Just seems to pull hard for 6000 to redline- smoothly and quickly.

But the biggest difference is really the Upgraded headers that you really feel the difference.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:31 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by switchface

Yes, I am running a tune from FVD Brombacher. For most mods, their tune adapts but apparently a new tune file is needed to remove the CEL.

I ran the IPD plenum/TB at the track yesterday and had zero issues, other than the constant CEL which should be fixed after the new tuning file is loaded.

I agree that the power ramp seems smoother. I really don't feel the 3500 - 4k power dip anymore.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:09 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

It's been a bit arbitrary as to who sees the CEL and who doesnt. I have seen some cars without cats and with the larger 82mm TB running a stock file and not having CELs or at least they come and they go over time. The tune is the only way to get rid of it permanently from the dash. It's still in the ECU, just not on the cluster.

Quick Reply: Any IPD plenum DIY experiences?