Default Any one tempted with the new Ohlins

New Ohlins setup for the GT4

very tempting.

New GT4 setup
Old 04-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would ask why one would give up on the electronic adapting of the stock shocks. If my racing bracket allowed, I'd only consider aftermarket shocks that retained the adaptive intelligence... The only ones I know of are the DSC Sport Tractive DDA shocks. Much more tuneable by the map than two ***** to twiddle...
Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

because it's not easy to adjust the balance of the car with PASM, hence the CS race cars also use passives.

we have people on here spending £££ on DSC and new spring sets and still have zero adjustment killing tyres ! and still understeering....

Nothing wrong with 2 ***** to twiddle imo you know where you are with passives esp Ohlins.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:32 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

I have DSC on my car and honestly I don't have any understeer coupled with the TPC toe links, spacers and a good alignment. Tires are a different story but with my current setup they are holding OK....as for adjustability, the DSC module is user configurable if you want to dive into fine tuning your setup or you could add their shocks and be done with it.

The Club Sport has passives (I'm going on this on your post as personally haven't checked this) because it's a no-compromise car for the track....you do a setup for X track and you just do fine adjustments to it. A regular GT4 is a street car with very high track levels of performance so you need to please a very large customer base with different situations/uses. Ohlins is a very good setup and the reputation is excellent, but I would reserve this for a car used exclusively on the track or a car with a non-PASM suspension. Most people have a hard time adjusting single-adjustable shocks never mention double or triple adjustable!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:47 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

totally agree
Old 04-26-2017, 01:54 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

I don't like that the rears are not inverted like on the stock dampers.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:56 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yargk
I don't like that the rears are not inverted like on the stock dampers.

Didn't notice that.....any specific reason a non-inverted would be better in the rear?
Old 04-26-2017, 02:13 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Didn't notice that.....any specific reason a non-inverted would be better in the rear?
I think ideally both front and rear would be inverted, but stock we probably have the rear inverted because it has larger cornering loads.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:41 PM
BRNGT4
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont see anything about cancellation device for the stock electronic damping. I know on my KW Clubsports they came with a small box to cancel the electronic damping. These Ohlins also dont come with springs
Old 04-27-2017, 05:05 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Ohlins do a PASM delete unit and a choice of springs, not sure why the posts are so negative , Ohlins are class leaders.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:05 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
Ohlins do a PASM delete unit and a choice of springs, not sure why the posts are so negative , Ohlins are class leaders.

Hey...I agree totally with you on this...it's just that it's a mod that most wont do because of the things you will loose on the process by taking out PASM. It's a personal choice but I think everyone is clear that this setup is a great choice if you plan to go that route.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

people have spent >$10k on making the car faster which act does not make the car faster and for 1/2 that amount you could fit these and really go faster lol

we still have ZERO data for tuned 420bhp cars, they just don't go any faster !!! (yes you get midrange but if you are DRIVING the car one is above midrange !!

I would take these over $10k of bolt on engine mods and all the hassle that brings to engine warranty.

I also think spending >$2k on DSC and a full spring set is 1/2 way to buying these.

what do you loose taking out PASM ? it's flawed as is, you only gain every where fitting a plush set of passives imo, and only have two clear adjusters makes life very easy for a wet track, dry track and road set up. If I did not have the new GT3 on order this would be my 2nd mod after adjustable rear toe lings.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:12 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

If you are using your car primarily as a track car, then these are an option versus other adjustable shocks available. What I don't like is the external canister and ***** being attached to the shock, as it is more difficult to access to make adjustments, versus a loose canister that can be mounted inside the car or front boot to allow easier access for adjustments.

Otherwise we all know that Ohlins makes excellent products. So I am sure these would be a good alternative to other track shocks.

For the street/track car DSC seems to be a pretty good option for those who want to keep their car closer to stock.

Good thing is this is one more good option for us to consider. Great thing about GT4 is it has gotten a lot of focus from the aftermarket suppliers for all kinds of goodies.

Thx for posting
Old 04-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I fitted a set of Ohlins Road and Track dampers and springs on my BMW 1M Coupe and was happy with them, but they did not provide a tremendous improvement to the car's handling. The improvement was more subtle than I had expected. That said, the OEM suspension on the 1M was very stiff to begin with, unlike the GT4, which is softly sprung.

Separately, the marketing materials from Ohlins state that the kit lowers the car by 20 mm. I understand that the kit allows for ride height adjustment, but I am wondering whether 20 mm is the minumum drop. Given how low the car sits at the standard ride height, I would be reluctant to lower it at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any one tempted with the new Ohlins