Sponsored by: APR

Rear Wing Uprights for the GT4 from Competition Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:56 PM
CMS
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Rear Wing Uprights for the GT4 from Competition Motorsport

New aluminum 1-piece uprights for the GT4. Manufactured by the aero experts at APR for the GT4. These new uprights provide a 3.5" increase in height, and a 4-way adjustable angle of attack ranging from 6-12 degrees. These are complete bolt on replacement for the oem uprights and reuse all of the factory trim. Innstall time is well under an hour.
Price: $845

Let us know how we can help.
Attached Images       

Last edited by CMS; 04-23-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:08 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How do these compare to Salter?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

1/2 the price
Old 04-24-2017, 12:59 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
1/2 the price
Old 04-24-2017, 02:06 PM
GT4_Driver
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I truly don't understand how this is supposed to work well. You increase the downforce on the back without changing the downforce on the front. This means that the balance of the car is different than before. As the GT4 tends to understeer, the lack of downforce on the front can only be counter-productive. As the balance between the front and the back does no longer exist, it may, at some point at high speed level, even become dangerous.

Can you please explain how you tested your changes?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4_Driver
I truly don't understand how this is supposed to work well. You increase the downforce on the back without changing the downforce on the front. This means that the balance of the car is different than before. As the GT4 tends to understeer, the lack of downforce on the front can only be counter-productive. As the balance between the front and the back does no longer exist, it may, at some point at high speed level, even become dangerous.

Can you please explain how you tested your changes?
In general, there is nothing wrong with your analysis. However, to some degree balance may be overrated when it comes to downforce. As long as a see-saw effect doesn't lift the front too much, more rear downforce can be useful. It may allow one to get on the throttle earlier in high speed corners and provide needed confidence in a high speed sweeper. Also, it allows one to transfer cornering load from the front to the rear since the rear now has more grip (this is what sway bars do, you can make the car more neutral/oversteery in low corners where you can manage catching a spin, but the downforce helps keep you more understeery in the high speed stuff). One data point is that many race cars have outsized rear downforce and I don't think they get faster by reducing the rear downforce (997 GT3 cup cars have very little front downforce, but a lot of rear downforce, for instance) Finally, with cleaner air you might have more downforce and less drag with the higher uprights. It's hard for me to imagine the differences are large though.

I like the BBI uprights, if I were to get any uprights, it would be those. I like the price and I like how they are taller, but bbi didn't make them needlessly wider just to have the width/height aspect ratio match factory (Salter does this). The extra adjustment is also nice on the competition ones.

Last edited by Yargk; 04-25-2017 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
How do these compare to Salter?
Salter is 4 inches higher, these are 3.5.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

I do have one concern with the apr/competition pieces. The stock pieces and the Salter pieces have a slight change in angle at the top of the upright that I think corresponds to the upright being at an angle with respect to straight front and back on the car. If the uprights are a little pigeon toed or duck footed then that should make the wing a little more stable and less prone to wobbling left to right. I wonder if the app/competition pieces wobble at all. Probably not though because I'm guessing this angle is accommodated with the small pieces that attach to the wing

Last edited by Yargk; 04-25-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 PM
calvinchan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salter still the best looking lol
Old 04-24-2017, 11:26 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
I do have one concern with the BBI pieces. The stock pieces and the Salter pieces have a slight change in angle at the top of the upright that I think corresponds to the upright being at an angle with respect to straight front and back on the car. If the uprights are a little pigeon toed or duck footed then that should make the wing a little more stable and less prone to wobbling left to right. I wonder if the BBI pieces wobble at all.

The BBI do have that angle to off set the support to the side.....is that the one you are talking about?
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2017, 04:33 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
The BBI do have that angle to off set the support to the side.....is that the one you are talking about?
For some reason I thought competition was selling bbi risers, I see now that's not the case. The ones competition are selling probably have that angle built into the part that is replaced on the wing element and offers more angle.

Last edited by Yargk; 04-25-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

IMO the offset is to align the wing hardware with the center of the riser, otherwise you would need some kind of different hardware as the OEM wing attachment point would be pushing to either side the risers.....even worst if you are exerting down force at high speed....you need that force to go linear from wing through the riser. The CMS risers do include a new wing attachment hardware so I guess they took care of this and allowed them to produced a more economical riser since it doesn't involved a complicated angle at the end.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:40 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Are these available in silver? And, no, I don't mean "we can sell them unfinished, in raw aluminum" (which is what some other companies said).

There are at least a few of us out there with silver uprights, and I actually prefer the silver over the black, at least on my DBM car.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:20 AM
CMS
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3
Are these available in silver? And, no, I don't mean "we can sell them unfinished, in raw aluminum" (which is what some other companies said).

There are at least a few of us out there with silver uprights, and I actually prefer the silver over the black, at least on my DBM car.
Yes they are BillC3. We have a sister company (CMS Coatings) who powder coats all of our products. We can change them to any of the 6,000 colors available from Prismatic Powders.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:39 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CMS
Yes they are BillC3. We have a sister company (CMS Coatings) who powder coats all of our products. We can change them to any of the 6,000 colors available from Prismatic Powders.
Cool! Any cost change for different colors?

Quick Reply: Rear Wing Uprights for the GT4 from Competition Motorsport