Sponsored by: APR

GT4 vs F430

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
The F430 was available in an MT6 also, strange you would chose the F1 over Manual to compare against a manual only GT4.

There are forum threads on the F430 single clutch system and subsequent failure. With the F1 actuator that is posted as an $18,000.00 part with $8,000.00 labor. Things get worse from there.

It is the dealers too.
They make some of the Porsche prices seem cheap
Gated 430 are quite rare and command a large premium.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Manuals are nice but not worth the premium. Rather have the newer 458 for that money.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:29 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

To be clear, I would NEVER buy one to track it. But as a fun weekend car, it would be a thrill - even with the F1 transmission. I didn't think I would feel that way (and have a lasting lust for one) until I spent some time with one while on vacation. They are special cars. Kind of like the 997 in the history of 911s.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:03 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
To be clear, I would NEVER buy one to track it. But as a fun weekend car, it would be a thrill - even with the F1 transmission. I didn't think I would feel that way (and have a lasting lust for one) until I spent some time with one while on vacation. They are special cars. Kind of like the 997 in the history of 911s.
Agreed mine will never see track time. Debating of just buying another s2000 and turning into a track car.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 AM
PierreTT
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice review, thanks for writing it

Almost bought a Scud 2 years ago, still think about it but prices are up big time since then...

What turned me down at the time are maintenance and mileage. I wanted to track it but $$$ end up my project.

There is no dealer near me and mileage seems to affect resale value a lot more than other brands...
Old 04-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

You can replace the clutch parts yourself but the SD3 is required to set the PIS - Point of Initial Slippage. Some guys do the work themselves then take it to the dealer to set the PIS.

BTW, Clutch remaining readout is helpful data and you MUST not run the clutch down to 0% on an F1 transmission. General comments show clutches being replaced at 35% remaining or F1 piston overrun and other failure can happen
Originally Posted by jmartpr
yes...the clutch is one of those things you need to go to the F dealer. I agree on the track issue with the gt4... when I'm on the track with the GT4 it would be vary rare if I take it to 9-10/10th....that part of damaging the car is always lingering in there.
My solution? I'm looking at salvage 981 S with PDK with the idea of building a pure track car...and building it would be half the fun as I love tinkering with cars and have done several race cars in the past...or....buy a used race car, maybe a Radical or something along those lines. But if I get the green light to purchase another street car and F car would be high on the list as I have never owned one.
Originally Posted by Jamie140
Are you saying the GT4 is undervalued?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:42 PM
GT4Tony
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
430 Scud is my all time favorite car. So many senses are attacked when you drive it. Also a pretty robust platform as Ferraris go from what I hear.
Same!!! Drove one on track as part of one of those exotics experiences. Drove 3 others including the 991 GT3... hands down the Scud is my favorite. I loved the emotion. While I was faster in the GT3... it's just easier to drive fast. The Scud gearing, the engine, the exhaust note... just an emotionally joyous occasion. More seat time I am sure I could get much faster in it. It is worth 2x the cost of a GT4.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:50 AM
KEPetersen
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I completely agree with the writeup by CarAholic on the contrasts between the F430 and the GT4. Each of these cars offers exceptional performance yet provide very distinct driving experiences.

As to the comments on the maintenance costs for the Ferrari, in my case they have been surprisingly reasonable (<$1,250± per year averaging 1,500 miles annually; and with over 12,500 miles there is only 35% clutch wear despite robust driving). Of course, all of this was by design: Ferrari became sensitive to criticism over high maintenance costs and the F430 was the first F-car that benefitted from an engineering goal of dramatically lower ownership costs.

To be honest, I couldn't choose between them, so ...

Old 04-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

You would like the 16M then, 60 ms SuperFast 2 transmission shift times!
Originally Posted by GT4Tony
Same!!! Drove one on track as part of one of those exotics experiences. Drove 3 others including the 991 GT3... hands down the Scud is my favorite. I loved the emotion. While I was faster in the GT3... it's just easier to drive fast. The Scud gearing, the engine, the exhaust note... just an emotionally joyous occasion. More seat time I am sure I could get much faster in it. It is worth 2x the cost of a GT4?
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2017, 01:08 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by KEPetersen
I completely agree with the writeup by CarAholic on the contrasts between the F430 and the GT4. Each of these cars offers exceptional performance yet provide very distinct driving experiences.

As to the comments on the maintenance costs for the Ferrari, in my case they have been surprisingly reasonable (<$1,250± per year averaging 1,500 miles annually; and with over 12,500 miles there is only 35% clutch wear despite robust driving). Of course, all of this was by design: Ferrari became sensitive to criticism over high maintenance costs and the F430 was the first F-car that benefitted from an engineering goal of dramatically lower ownership costs.

To be honest, I couldn't choose between them, so ...

Nice garage that is what I was hoping for but was not in a position to make it possible.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

You can replace the clutch parts yourself but the SD3 is required to set the PIS - Point of Initial Slippage. Some guys do the work themselves then take it to the dealer to set the PIS.

BTW, Clutch remaining readout is helpful data and you MUST not run the clutch down to 0% on an F1 transmission. General comments show clutches being replaced at 35% remaining or F1 piston overrun and other failure can happen

Are you saying the GT4 is undervalued?
Only mine!

You would like the 16M then, 60 ms SuperFast 2 transmission shift times!
Bought and sold twice. Huge regrets. Loved that car.

Quick Reply: GT4 vs F430