Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 02:51 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Brake Rubbing Noise

Hi All,

Loving my new-to-me GT4 so far!

My car has PCCBs. Upon braking at slow speed (less than 10mph), my front passenger wheel emanates a discernible rubbing noise. Sounds like plastic scuffing on concrete. I'm guessing it's debris caked between the pads/rotors. I could probably tackle this with a power washer and/or jacking the car up, removing the wheel and doing some of my own handiwork, but suffice it to say I'd prefer not to.

Naive n00b question. I've never owned a car under warranty! Is this something "covered under warranty?" That is to say, can I drive this over to the dealership and make it their problem, haha?

Thanks for accommodating my silly questions.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:08 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Drive it over there and see what they say. Or do you expect your dealership to follow suit based on an answer on a forum with a, quite possibly, different dealership in a totally different location.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's debris as you assume, not covered by warranty.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:32 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sven76
If it's debris as you assume, not covered by warranty.
Thanks. I should just man up and do this myself!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 PM
bretster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you say it sounds like plastic rubbing: the brake duct is plastic and is very close to the wheel. First thing to do is look at that and make sure it is tight and positioned correctly. It could be rubbing on the wheel or dragging.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:23 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Difficult for me to see much of anything with my car on the ground.

Assuming the most likely culprit is indeed debris of some sort, am I doing any harm driving the car before resolving this?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:49 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you bought the car from this dealer they will/should look at it for free ....be advised pccb 's can and will make weird noises......i doubt you have any foreign debris in /on the pads/ rotor ....mileage/bedded in ?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:18 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Dealer is out of state unfortunately
Old 04-06-2017, 10:21 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 302 Posts

Mine were always noisy like that cold at slow speed/minimum braking.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:26 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

If the dealer were close, I'd have no problem taking it in and have them diagnose the noise. If it is debris, they'll likely remove it for you and send you on your way with a bottle of water and cookie! Feel free to take it to a dealer other than where you bought it as well. There's no unwritten rule that you have to take it to the original dealership that I am aware of...The new/different dealer will be happy to strike up a relationship with you to sell you your next Porsche.

ps. If you talk me into it, I'll trade you my steel brakes!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:08 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by asofine
Hi All,

Loving my new-to-me GT4 so far!

My car has PCCBs. Upon braking at slow speed (less than 10mph), my front passenger wheel emanates a discernible rubbing noise. Sounds like plastic scuffing on concrete. I'm guessing it's debris caked between the pads/rotors. I could probably tackle this with a power washer and/or jacking the car up, removing the wheel and doing some of my own handiwork, but suffice it to say I'd prefer not to.

Naive n00b question. I've never owned a car under warranty! Is this something "covered under warranty?" That is to say, can I drive this over to the dealership and make it their problem, haha?

Thanks for accommodating my silly questions.
Does the car have track time ? If so pads on these glaze easily and that will cause that sound.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:17 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

I have pccb on my GT4 and get similar sound when cold and low speeds. It goes away though and I've never been too concerned about it. I can ask my dealer to check it out when the car goes in for it's annual check up.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:26 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the input, all.

My head is spinning. I've booked a placeholder appointment with the dealer next week, but they're an hour+ away from me and I'm still holding out hope that I'll at least diagnose this myself first.

Are there any kind/knowledgable folks in/around San Francisco who would hop in the passenger seat for a test drive with me to lend some input? Drinks on me.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Couple of quick ideas.....you should be able to see the brake cooling duct by looking through the lower portion of the wheel. If it's grinded down you've found the problem. You could also try to use a power washer and see if any debris falls out......GL...........Phil
Old 04-30-2017, 02:01 AM
rdragon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

asofine - Were you able to resolve this? I'm experiencing a similar sound (along with the squealing) when braking slow (rear passenger side for me though).

Quick Reply: Brake Rubbing Noise