Sponsored by: APR

Brake Rubbing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:28 AM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rdragon
asofine - Were you able to resolve this? I'm experiencing a similar sound (along with the squealing) when braking slow (rear passenger side for me though).
Dealer said it was "normal." They also did a rotor density test and a general inspection of the brakes. Said all was "fine." Who knows?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Mine does the same - basically a grinding sound. It started after a low speed panic stop a year ago but I cannot see how that would create the issue. My 991 RS also has PCCB's and they're silent by comparison.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:37 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys check for debris trapped between the handbrake drum & mating pad at your rear wheels. For some reason if you Own PCCB brakes.... that area is like a magnet and attracts and traps small rocks. Possiby small rocks trapped between wheel and caliper od gets flung into that area. I had to clean mine 4 times in the past 10 months and I only drive on main clear roads and never off roads. Some of the symptoms if you have the same issue, is you having trouble with your handbrake engaging or getting occasional error codes about the hand brake failure and that is usually a possible indication that debris is may be present and trapped. The bad news about this issue, Porsche refuses to sell the center piece of the disk brake assembly which houses the drum brake, and only sells the entire disk assembly as one unit at a price of $6000 per wheel. So to replace both disks is $12000 plus labor. Although porsche will sell you the handbrake pads that mates against this drum, but the bigger issue is the scored drum.

Ever since I discovered the issue I have been inspecting the handbrake drums regularly and removing all the debris and the annoying low speed grinding noises have disappeared. I have some damage to the drums, but I refuse to pay $12000 to install new ones as the main brakes are like new and the handbrake still operates great despite the scoring. At some point I will be removing the existing drums and take them to my lathe and machine off the scored drum outer surface to remove the scoring. There is plenty of materials left but of course you will need to adjust the handbrake as the gap got larger, which porsche dealer will perform free of charge. Hope this helps. Mark
Attached Images  

Last edited by mqandil; 05-10-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:47 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by asofine
Dealer said it was "normal." They also did a rotor density test and a general inspection of the brakes. Said all was "fine." Who knows?
Mine said the same after taking it to them 4 different times complaining about the same issue and the answer has always been it is normal and there is no issue until my service mechanic decided to check the handbrake drums. See my comments regarding this in earlier post above. Please also see an additional attached picture. Mark
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

It seems that this is a common issue?
I am thinking it may be more complicated than just a piece of plastic rubbing ( My thoughts? ) This was a thread discussing this and other things posted here https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9137...l#post13055960
I even posted a video here on dropbox ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbpqwdcgn7...nding.mp4?dl=0
What I do find strange, is that I took the car to the track recently, and it seems to have stopped? ( Wondering if it was plastic that was just ground off ?? )
These are not PCCB on this car, my other car has them, and they don't rub or grind at all. It seems to be a rubbing issue, at low speed and breaking? In the video (which is a GoPro mounted to the cars tow hook) you can here the grinding as it comes through the chassis
Hope that helps
Regards
Ed

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 05-22-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:24 PM
rdragon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Guys check for debris trapped between the handbrake drum & mating pad at your rear wheels. For some reason if you Own PCCB brakes.... that area is like a magnet and attracts and traps small rocks. Possiby small rocks trapped between wheel and caliper od gets flung into that area. I had to clean mine 4 times in the past 10 months and I only drive on main clear roads and never off roads. Some of the symptoms if you have the same issue, is you having trouble with your handbrake engaging or getting occasional error codes about the hand brake failure and that is usually a possible indication that debris is may be present and trapped. The bad news about this issue, Porsche refuses to sell the center piece of the disk brake assembly which houses the drum brake, and only sells the entire disk assembly as one unit at a price of $6000 per wheel. So to replace both disks is $12000 plus labor. Although porsche will sell you the handbrake pads that mates against this drum, but the bigger issue is the scored drum.

Ever since I discovered the issue I have been inspecting the handbrake drums regularly and removing all the debris and the annoying low speed grinding noises have disappeared. I have some damage to the drums, but I refuse to pay $12000 to install new ones as the main brakes are like new and the handbrake still operates great despite the scoring. At some point I will be removing the existing drums and take them to my lathe and machine off the scored drum outer surface to remove the scoring. There is plenty of materials left but of course you will need to adjust the handbrake as the gap got larger, which porsche dealer will perform free of charge. Hope this helps. Mark
Mark - What angle is this picture from? Are you able to see that area with car on the ground? What have you been removing the debris with (like a toothpick)?

Also, regarding the first sentence in your second paragraph...were you getting the grinding at low speeds or when braking at low speeds? Thinking the latter but wanted to make sure.

I followed the bedding procedures listed in these forums on two separate weekends but still get squealing here and there.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:58 PM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

Originally Posted by asofine
Thanks for all the input, all.

My head is spinning. I've booked a placeholder appointment with the dealer next week, but they're an hour+ away from me and I'm still holding out hope that I'll at least diagnose this myself first.

Are there any kind/knowledgable folks in/around San Francisco who would hop in the passenger seat for a test drive with me to lend some input? Drinks on me.
Mine started happening after i went to the track it was a light run but i went over some curbs. I started driving would hear it in the rear then it would stop. Im guessing its the rear brake duct like most have stated. I'll checking mine tonight to see if thats the case and loctite the screws and tape/ziptie the duct together.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:33 AM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had two rubbing issues:

1. My e-brake was out of alignment. Took ~2 hours of service work to calibrate. No rocks detected near my steel brakes.
2. I swear my brakes rub if I wash and do not dry the rotors, from rust...I realize it seems that the clearances would be much bigger, but it happens pretty regularly. Goes away after the first 1000' of driving.

-mark
Old 09-12-2017, 01:00 PM
andrewwo
3rd Gear

Default GT4 rear brake noise

Originally Posted by mqandil
Mine said the same after taking it to them 4 different times complaining about the same issue and the answer has always been it is normal and there is no issue until my service mechanic decided to check the handbrake drums. See my comments regarding this in earlier post above. Please also see an additional attached picture. Mark

So did they end up fixing it ? mine have same problem and been went back for 3 times.. they take off brake. then parking ,.. then check the shaft .. end up say everything is normal but noise continues...

I also have those mark on the parking drum ( on both side ) .. but only 1 side get noise...
Old 09-12-2017, 01:02 PM
andrewwo
3rd Gear

Default GT4 brake noise

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
It seems that this is a common issue?
I am thinking it may be more complicated than just a piece of plastic rubbing ( My thoughts? ) This was a thread discussing this and other things posted here https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9137...l#post13055960
I even posted a video here on dropbox ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbpqwdcgn7...nding.mp4?dl=0
What I do find strange, is that I took the car to the track recently, and it seems to have stopped? ( Wondering if it was plastic that was just ground off ?? )
These are not PCCB on this car, my other car has them, and they don't rub or grind at all. It seems to be a rubbing issue, at low speed and breaking? In the video (which is a GoPro mounted to the cars tow hook) you can here the grinding as it comes through the chassis
Hope that helps
Regards
Ed

Thanks for the video... it help to explain to the porsche workshop.. but still.. same " everything is normal" answer despite my 3 trip to them ,

how did you fix it ? by running hard for some time ?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:07 PM
andrewwo
3rd Gear

is it end up to be the stone caught in the brake shoe or the scratch mark from the disc ( drum bell ) ?
Old 09-16-2017, 12:06 AM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience with PCCB on two different cars is they are noisy brakes.
When clean at low speed you can hear the pad rubbing the rotor. When dirty at any speed they squeal like a horny pig.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:19 AM
Hwy
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for this info. Exactly what I was after to solve my problem. 5 years later and it is still super relevant so I just want to keep this thread alive and going.
The following users liked this post:
kes7u (09-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Brake Rubbing Noise