Sponsored by: APR

Am I nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Am I nuts?

I love my GT4 and its set up perfectly for the track. After 25 years of track time and racing and 5 years rally racing professionally (1 as a factory driver) I might be fried.

I am thinking of selling the car and getting a vintage Porsche garage queen. I would keep the Boxster Spyder.

Am I nuts? Has anyone else out there retired from the track and went to the concours route.

If I am not that nuts, what should I buy?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:29 AM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Want to increase the list of cars in the "sold and now regretting it" category?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:32 AM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your "regret" list and your "current" list in your signature are almost even... I'd say choose carefully.

The emotional side of my brain has all kinds of 600HP fantasies centered around cars like the 650S and 458 Speciale.

But at the end of the day, for a reliable go-cart experience that you can mostly run at the edge ALL DAY LONG, the GT4 is hard to beat. Given your historical experience, you likely are aware of this unique trait already... but it speaks to the logical side of the brain, which rarely wins.

ps- what's your next CotA event? There are 3+ on the very near horizon.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
Your "regret" list and your "current" list in your signature are almost even... I'd say choose carefully.

The emotional side of my brain has all kinds of 600HP fantasies centered around cars like the 650S and 458 Speciale.

But at the end of the day, for a reliable go-cart experience that you can mostly run at the edge ALL DAY LONG, the GT4 is hard to beat. Given your historical experience, you likely are aware of this unique trait already... but it speaks to the logical side of the brain, which rarely wins.

ps- what's your next CotA event? There are 3+ on the very near horizon.
Your are logical like Spock!

I was thinking more along the lines of a 356...very low HP.

I am scheduled for all 3 and I skipped the last one. I am hoping that its fun because after 3.5 months off I don't seem to be missing it.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:41 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

My two cents - this seems like a terrible time to buy a historic garage queen (esp. a P-car). Market appears grossly inflated IMO. I'd sit on the GT4 or sell it and get out of the game entirely for a minute.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Having the Spyder you are safe. Go buy some thing vintage
Old 02-17-2017, 09:57 AM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

I am relatively new to track days other than some racing I did when I was very young on dirt midget tracks. I did the three day COTA track experience with MVP Track Time last March. After the second day I went home. Nothing against the MVP folks at all, they run a safe and very fun event with lots of track time. But after the 12th time on the track (each 30 minutes) in two days, I was done. Sure I am not as young as I used to be and am probably older than the OP, but the reason was with my CaymanS setup I was running (basically stock and a bit underpowered for COTA), I had explored the COTA track as much as I needed to for that weekend.
One thing you might explore is cutting back your track days to four times a year and at different tracks, perhaps even at tracks you have never driven? I still do the track days with the Longhorn PCA chapter at Harris Hill in my C4S just to get the blood flowing, but I either need to get a hotter Cayman (GT4 RSR??) or just admit that tracking doesn't hold the thrill I thought it would.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tstafford
My two cents - this seems like a terrible time to buy a historic garage queen (esp. a P-car). Market appears grossly inflated IMO. I'd sit on the GT4 or sell it and get out of the game entirely for a minute.
I agree with this
Old 02-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Having the Spyder you are safe. Go buy some thing vintage
+981. With a 2016 Spyder already in the garage I would happily diversify with a classic/vintage P-car
Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i don't like to race anymore

but i enjoy the chit chat session of DE
i still go but not as often
i did add a 1972 and 1986 garage queen
slow as molasses but great weekend brunch car.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Just a suggestion: Try a different track (or better yet, a new one). I find I get burned out if I only get to COTA.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:10 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Get another Vespa....
Old 02-17-2017, 02:34 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I
Am I nuts? Has anyone else out there retired from the track and went to the concours route.

If I am not that nuts, what should I buy?
My advise, having quit racing in 2012 after 24 years is stay away from the track - if you go, you will want to go more, so sell the GT4. Prices are still good so good time to move on.

That being said I think the Spyder can do many of the same things and the Spyder is the better street car, definately a keeper.

As far as vintage Porsche's go I think that is very personal to you and what you like. Prices ran up to stupid level on many cars in 2013-15 and now are coming back to earth, somewhat. So you have to decide what will excite you when you go to the garage to take a look.

Given how long you have raced my guess is you are not very good at being a spectator instead of a participant - so whatever you buy will likely need to be a project so you can enjoy the process of making it just how you want it. In the end that is how you will appreciate it most.

Good luck solving this wonderful problem you have
Old 02-17-2017, 02:37 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i don't like to race anymore
Hence the new race car you just bought!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Porrrrsche
Rennlist Member

I have both older 911 and GT4 -- would have trouble selling either. They do things so differently that I love driving both.

Push came to shove though, the air-cooled would go first.

Probably not much help . . .

Quick Reply: Am I nuts?