Sponsored by: APR

Am I nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Porrrrsche
I have both older 911 and GT4 -- would have trouble selling either. They do things so differently that I love driving both.

Push came to shove though, the air-cooled would go first.
Funny, I feel the opposite way, GT4 will go first before i let go of my wide-hipped aircooled I know it won't get me too many friends in this subforum, but just how I feel
Old 02-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

^If I had aircooled I would not let it go either
Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
My two cents - this seems like a terrible time to buy a historic garage queen (esp. a P-car). Market appears grossly inflated IMO. I'd sit on the GT4 or sell it and get out of the game entirely for a minute.
+1

Buying a vintage garage queen when equity markets are hitting new highs seems like a bad idea, I agree you should sell GT4 and wait.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:11 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Am I nuts?

You are not nuts. You attend a track day, buy track insurance, hotel, track fee, tires, etc, and your at $2000+ per event. You go out on the track with many drivers of different skill levels, see plenty of stupid moves and wonder to yourself why am I doing this. Nothing over the years has changed, the costs, the various driver skills are the same but you become less tolerant and realize the cost and time is no longer worth it to wad up a $100K+ Porsche.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:10 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I never tracked as much as you but I did get burned out on it. Too much siting around between run groups. Too many other distractions. I tend to still go a few times a year but try and hit a run all day open track event if I can. Nothing wrong with moving on.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:55 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I AM nuts! Done everything backwards! Bought air cooled "years back", then bought and sold GT4, and now back to 911 with RS...... Hint: the "disciple of the devil" made me do it......
Old 02-17-2017, 08:10 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps try turn key ownership or turn key rental cars a few times. I have full service with my track car. I simply arrive and drive. No headaches and car is always running. Need to let air out of tires or adjust sway bars?--pull in hot pits for 1-2 minutes, sit harnessed in while they take care of it, and out I go. I am also a member of the track. I just call on sunny days and go.

I have a 964 cab and love it on nice days. It's weak air conditioner keeps it in the garage during hot summer days.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:15 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Not crazy at all. You've got both versions of the 3.8-liter 981-1. While they do different things differently, they are—essentially—coupe and cabriolet versions of the same car. Only we Porsche "nuts" (sorry...) seem to be able to split hairs far enough to see them as separate models.

Many take a break from the DE or racing world. Commitments and interests change, but some come back around later. Lots of good approaches noted here.

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Funny, I feel the opposite way, GT4 will go first before i let go of my wide-hipped aircooled I know it won't get me too many friends in this subforum, but just how I feel
^ I'm with him. Much as I love my GT4, and that's a lot, it would be gone looooong before my old air-cooled car would go.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:49 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Get another Vespa....
I wanted to, but my wife is emotionally attached to this one!
Old 02-18-2017, 12:19 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
My two cents - this seems like a terrible time to buy a historic garage queen (esp. a P-car). Market appears grossly inflated IMO. I'd sit on the GT4 or sell it and get out of the game entirely for a minute.
Buying a vintage car in a declining market is tough to do and many prices had climbed to crazy levels to there is a lot of altitude to drop.
I sold a vintage late in 2015 and glad I did, prices are down now
Old 02-18-2017, 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
I never tracked as much as you but I did get burned out on it. Too much siting around between run groups. Too many other distractions. I tend to still go a few times a year but try and hit a run all day open track event if I can. Nothing wrong with moving on.
u sat aroudn b/n session only b/c you didnt come to my track day. most ppl go home after the event and can't lift their arm b/c driving too much.

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Buying a vintage car in a declining market is tough to do and many prices had climbed to crazy levels to there is a lot of altitude to drop.
I sold a vintage late in 2015 and glad I did, prices are down now
economically u are right but porsche is a drug. it wont work when you tell addicts to wait until price of heroine drops a click. and when they cannot afford it, they rob and kill to obtain the drug. this is same.... i know, i am an addict.

Originally Posted by supercup
Hence the new race car you just bought!
LMAO. i dont race, but i never said i dont look racy. plus i do car and coffee. i drove that thing from my cave to kiddie school to get my son. i can't post pic. i think not very legal with WPOZZZ..... but most have already certified me beyond hope. u wont find me on grid. but u will find me next to any place that sells cookie on track. at RR-V, i almost missed gridding as i was busy inhaling oreo doubles.

texaxvianny, get an antique, it's kind of fun. i just did
Old 02-18-2017, 09:57 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I went and looked up the specs on your Vespa, says that thing will do 80 mph!

Old 02-18-2017, 05:58 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
Time to add a second one to the fleet, just like Spyder/GT4 combo!
Old 02-18-2017, 07:33 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ I'm with him. Much as I love my GT4, and that's a lot, it would be gone looooong before my old air-cooled car would go.
+ this. And at the rate I am getting aggravated over not knowing whether or not I have a "3rd gear transmission bomb" I might just see the GT4 out the door sooner...
Old 02-18-2017, 11:02 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u sat aroudn b/n session only b/c you didnt come to my track day. most ppl go home after the event and can't lift their arm b/c driving too much.
Too true Mooty. Unfortunately a little difficult to get to CA from WI. LOL

Quick Reply: Am I nuts?