Sponsored by: APR

Driving comfort

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:05 PM
ducsfly
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Driving comfort

I am planning to sell my '06 Cayman and have been drooling over the GT4. I would like a more track-oriented car but also a car I could drive on public roads without getting beat up (ie would my wife ride in it). Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:40 PM
gregp714
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comfort is subjective but I think the GT4 is very comfortable on regular roads. Of course you need to be careful with dips, bumps and pot holes but otherwise it is a firm but not overly harsh ride. My wife does not complain at all about the ride quality. I don't daily drive mine though, it's a weekend driver and track toy.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:49 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

It's comfortable until you need to pull into an entrance that's too steep!
Old 01-04-2017, 02:17 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

I thinks it works fine for daily driving, specially if the car has sport seats. I have read reports here that with the DSC module the ride/comfort is improved on regular chassis mode.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:26 PM
hadokenny
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

The GT4 is surprising comfortable for such a hardcore performance car. I drove mine to work daily when I first got it and did not find it difficult at all! I have LWBS as well.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:05 PM
ducsfly
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it will work for me. I hope to be driving one these in the near future.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ducsfly
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it will work for me. I hope to be driving one these in the near future.
Be aware of the cabin noise also. Even with windows up and pse off its noisier than a non GT car, so that can be a factor for some.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ducsfly
I am planning to sell my '06 Cayman and have been drooling over the GT4. I would like a more track-oriented car but also a car I could drive on public roads without getting beat up (ie would my wife ride in it). Thanks for any advice.
Other than tire noise and the reality of a very low front end, I find the GT4 to be a very manageable daily driver with good visibility, good comfort and tons of storage space.

I have the LWB's and yes, ingress/egress is a bit more challenging than with the standard seats but as long as there's enough room for me to open my door all the way, it's no issue at all.

My best advice to you is to find someone who owns one close to where you live and see if you can ride shotgun.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:40 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

If you're used to a 987 Cayman, the GT4 will be fine. Low front lip requires consideration, but other than that it's fine - if you are the type of person that is happy DDing a sports car in the first place.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:09 AM
digistyl3
Advanced

Low front lip. One way ramp to underground garage. Steep angle. High garage door sill at bottom. Noticed too late. Can't back up. Roll forward. Not good.
Name:  photo61.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  157.1 KB
Old 01-05-2017, 11:56 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I put almost 8K miles on my GT4 in the year that I've had it, much of which came from using it as a DD (though my DD needs are admittedly fairly minimal), and neither my wife nor I have any problem with it even with LWBs. Egress is easy enough once you've done it a few times, and my wife actually took a nap in the car on the 200-mile drive home from delivery. Yes the cabin is on the noisy side, but you don't have to shout at each other as long as you're just cruising rather than working the engine. I'm sure it's much louder than a big luxury car, but honestly the total noise on the freeway doesn't seem much worse than my wife's 2015 Honda Civic when I try them back to back just at cruising RPM (I tried unsuccessfully to get her interested in cars....) In terms of ride comfort, it's firm but not harsh or punishing at all, much softer ride than older cars with traditional suspensions set up for similar performance -- wonders of a modern, active suspension I guess. Even the ride height for me hasn't been too much of an issue. Some driveways to malls and such that I thought would be total non-starters before I got the car have turned out to be completely fine tackled at an angle. I've scraped here and there on some really heinous areas, but my splitter still looks fine after all these road miles.

Bottom line: Get the GT4, you'll love it. And so will the wife, although if you have LWBs and she likes to wear skirts, there will definitely be some challenges there.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:45 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

My girlfriend and I drove almost 7 hours in one day (car said ride time was 6:54, 288 miles), from LA to wine country for lunch, through some canyons for fun, over to the beach for dinner, and then back. Granted my car has 2-way sofas, but it was great and I can't recall not being so NOT TIRED driving a car for that many hours in a day. Surprisingly awesome grand tourer.

Some significant others hate the LWBs, so ride quality wise you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Leuz
Rennlist Member

I've got the buckets. Despite what people may think about driving comfort, the longest drive was from Los Angeles to San Francisco (~380mi). I drove the whole way and arrived fresh. My dad, next to me, was even able to nap for few minutes LOL.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:20 PM
ducsfly
Rennlist Member

^^^^ More good news. Thank you for posting your thoughts.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:24 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT4 with LWBs is my daily driver and I find it a very comfortable car. I don't think I've done more than about 700 miles in a single drive but I have done a week which was 3500 miles and had no comfort issues. Around town it's great, just have to watch the front lip and accept that it will scrape. The one thing that I did crack and replace in the first year was the rear brake ducts.

Quick Reply: Driving comfort