GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Lamborghini Gallardo

Old 01-02-2017, 05:09 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

^ Not the approach I would take; even with (rudimentary) AWD, the Gallardo is not something I would want to drive on public roads in winter, and removing the front driveline does not turn an LP560-4 into the balanced LP550-2 Jethro describes in the video. Yes, significant weight would be shed, but the suspension tuning would not be optimized.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:08 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
^ Not the approach I would take; even with (rudimentary) AWD, the Gallardo is not something I would want to drive on public roads in winter, and removing the front driveline does not turn an LP560-4 into the balanced LP550-2 Jethro describes in the video. Yes, significant weight would be shed, but the suspension tuning would not be optimized.
I live in SC so our winters are very nice we don't get snow but maybe once a year. I was planning on swapping out the front suspension as well for the -2 swap.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:07 AM
AfricanHunter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
I live in SC so our winters are very nice we don't get snow but maybe once a year. I was planning on swapping out the front suspension as well for the -2 swap.
the -2 cars are way more engaging. The suspension/etc was dialed in by the legendary test driver Valentino Balboni. Making a -4 car rwd is going to make it better but not as good as a rwd factory car.

This topic makes me regret selling my 560-2. Amazingly fun analog car.

I'm hunting something italian right now. Looking at Diablo, 512tr, 355 berlinetta, etc.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AfricanHunter
I'm hunting something italian right now. Looking at Diablo, 512tr, 355 berlinetta, etc.
The Diablo is a special car and you are smart for considering it

The other two you mention are blah puttering around cars in comparison. After my first drive in a Diablo roadster, top off with a 530 hp V-12 roaring behind me.....I was speechless for like an hour trying to figure out how to convey my thoughts to the owner of the car. Just a bunch of nods and incoherent babbling....It was basically like me trying to talk to the beautiful girls in high school
Old 01-07-2017, 03:40 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Drove a diablo 6.0 recently thanks to a very kind and generous owner.. it feels like a car from a bygone era. I would describe it as a lovechild from a three way trist between a go-kart, a tractor, and a v12. the front feels fantastic with a Darty feel (6.0 had a wider front track), and the chassis is stiff enough but creaks a bit. But the whole process of getting her going, waking up the v12 which doesn't really produce power low down, and carefully shifting it with slow entry into each gear wth delicate synchros.. well, it feels like the 90's.. a few steps past the countach but not much. I found it to be incredibly involving and would have driven on for days if I could. It's a car which allows you, requires you to really focus. You have to be both aggressive and gentle simultaneously.. a great DRIVING experience. But I wouldn't buy it for the performance, I would buy it purely because you want to have a conversation with your car on each drive. Stay away from the roadster, it's a flexy POS...

If you can find a 6.0.. that's the one to get with the gorgeous interior, updated electronics, and much improved front end, not to mention bigger engine. I also believe it's the most beautiful of the line. The grin on my face says it all.. this is a car you could keep forever and never get sick of exploring. GLWS
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2017, 02:59 AM
AfricanHunter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Drove a diablo 6.0 recently thanks to a very kind and generous owner.. it feels like a car from a bygone era. I would describe it as a lovechild from a three way trist between a go-kart, a tractor, and a v12. the front feels fantastic with a Darty feel (6.0 had a wider front track), and the chassis is stiff enough but creaks a bit. But the whole process of getting her going, waking up the v12 which doesn't really produce power low down, and carefully shifting it with slow entry into each gear wth delicate synchros.. well, it feels like the 90's.. a few steps past the countach but not much. I found it to be incredibly involving and would have driven on for days if I could. It's a car which allows you, requires you to really focus. You have to be both aggressive and gentle simultaneously.. a great DRIVING experience. But I wouldn't buy it for the performance, I would buy it purely because you want to have a conversation with your car on each drive. Stay away from the roadster, it's a flexy POS...

If you can find a 6.0.. that's the one to get with the gorgeous interior, updated electronics, and much improved front end, not to mention bigger engine. I also believe it's the most beautiful of the line. The grin on my face says it all.. this is a car you could keep forever and never get sick of exploring. GLWS
yeah. That's pretty much the experience Im looking for. Have a couple options but think market softening. Waiting until after the auctions this month. Also not sure I wanna pay 6.0 money. May just go 96-97 vt coupe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lamborghini Gallardo