Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

I got a ride in the GT4 RS at Daytona this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 01:55 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default I got a ride in the GT4 RS at Daytona this weekend...

we all know the RS is a pipedream but still I got the experience...

John from BGB was there with his raceteam to test the clubsport MR but what was as exciting as that is that he had his personal GT4 with him which is similar spec'd to my car.

the one difference is that his car has the BGB stage II treatment which has been documented in detail in other threads on this forum. I have seen the Dyno chart and John showed it again to me after the session but I like to experience power instead of just see it on paper. As you can read below my experience really backed up his charts....

I already had two full days on Daytona ( in addition to my days in 2015) under my belt so I was well aware of what a GT4 that is well setup is capable of at Daytona. At that time I had a 2:05 in the books and so I was very familiar with the vMins, apex and exit speeds, topspeeds on the banks etc for a well setup GT4 (but no engine mods)

so when I got in the right seat with John in his car I was going to be able to compare apples to apples (or a GT4 to a GT4 "RS")

coming out of pit row he hit the throttle into T2 and the sound is amazing.

acceleration out of T2 to the kink was definitely stronger than my car so there is some extra torque but I was really blown away at the exit of T5. I downshift to T5 to 2nd to be able to accelerate enough as the vmin is in the high 40s. John took that corner in 3rd and accelerated as hard or harder than I do in 2nd. WOW that car pulls....

then we get on to the banking and that car really pulls. I don't recall the exact number we did for topspeed but it was faster than what I did and the car really keeps pulling in 4th and 5th and in the higher revs.

the next big eye opener was getting to start finish. What you achieve in that sector is very power dependent and this is where I really got blown away.

my GT4 stops pulling hard over 152-53 and the speedo only crawls up. I shift after 7200 to 6th to get back in the powerband but it really crawls up and I hit 161 or so.
John's GT4 "RS" really kept pulling and even with my 210 lbs of ballast he was able to hit 171 quite easily... that car has real power....

we did two more laps and it was amazing how suddenly there was no issue with corvettes or GT-Rs pulling you on the straight and you still had traditional GT4 leg up in the corners.

so without the typical lightening Porsche typically does for RS cars (actually the opposite with me as ballast) BGB comfortable achieved (actually exceeded) the RS bump Porsche typically provides on their top GT models.

if you are looking for more power but likes the GT4 platform you should call John and have a chat...... I bet it is cheaper than upgrading to a GT3 and you definitely will be faster on the track than a GT3 and probably even an GT3RS

Quick Reply: I got a ride in the GT4 RS at Daytona this weekend...