Sponsored by: APR

Will the 718 GT4 offer a PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 01:42 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Will the 718 GT4 offer a PDK?

Agonizing currently over what to get next after selling my 991 GT3. I'd jump on a PDK GT4. Right now considering ordering a track spec 718 Cayman S or waiting for the GTS. The regular Cayman S seems pretty capable (and wonderful to drive, having driven it twice now), and if I'm honest, I might prefer the turbo in the 718S to the current 981 GT4 engine. That said, this car will see heavy track use. Sure, I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'm sure you guys all have great opinions! Should I wait for the GTS? Put my name down for the next GT4 assuming it might have a PDK? Should I just try to find a track set up 981? Etc... appreciate the community and the feedback!
Old 11-27-2016, 04:06 PM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like we had a similar path, I had a 991 GT3 for about 15 months and had the same debate myself after I sold it.

I drove the new 911S, 718s and the GT4.

The new 911s was very good; but felt numb. However, it should have lots of after-market ECU upgrades and track upgrades. But felt by the time I was done I would have spent far more than just getting another GT3

I like the new 718s engine, but again, felt I would spend much more making it a track friendly toy on suspension and brakes.

The 718 GTS should be a great car, but I feel it will lack the GT4 like underpinnings.

Lots of folks like the 981 track prepped, but feel it is underpowered.

Yes, I would put my name in on the next GT4, I did as well. I think they will keep the 3.8 NA flat 6 and bump the power to 400-410bhp and add a PDK option since they made it fit on the GT4 cup car. Such is my hope.

In the end, the GT4 was my choice for a new toy that I can drive today. It was fast enough, had the GT brakes and suspension, and was a good price balance.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'm hoping it does. Can't drive a stick without pain anymore since my hip dislocation and would love a GT4 someday if it came with a PDK. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that it will, but who really knows.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:31 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cingulus
Sounds like we had a similar path, I had a 991 GT3 for about 15 months and had the same debate myself after I sold it.

I drove the new 911S, 718s and the GT4.

The new 911s was very good; but felt numb. However, it should have lots of after-market ECU upgrades and track upgrades. But felt by the time I was done I would have spent far more than just getting another GT3

I like the new 718s engine, but again, felt I would spend much more making it a track friendly toy on suspension and brakes.

The 718 GTS should be a great car, but I feel it will lack the GT4 like underpinnings.

Lots of folks like the 981 track prepped, but feel it is underpowered.

Yes, I would put my name in on the next GT4, I did as well. I think they will keep the 3.8 NA flat 6 and bump the power to 400-410bhp and add a PDK option since they made it fit on the GT4 cup car. Such is my hope.

In the end, the GT4 was my choice for a new toy that I can drive today. It was fast enough, had the GT brakes and suspension, and was a good price balance.
Great to hear I am not alone. Agree with everything you said. I'd get a GT4 now, but for track use, PDK is a must. I know it sounds silly, but I just don't feel proficient enough with a manual to drive on the track, and I love the paddles. Seems like the GT4 might be another 18 months out. Haven't even seen any spy photos. As for the GTS, if the others are any indication, it won't be much different than the 718 with all the performance options, so I'm wondering if it's worth losing all of the 2017 track season. And ultimately, the 718S track options add up to almost the price of a GT4.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:16 PM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed on my first gt4 allocation because no PDK. I now have a gt4 and don't find the transmission to be an issue. My understanding is that you sold the GT3 to save $ (congrats on kid BTW) but how much cheaper is a GT4 than a GT3 to buy/own/run?

My vote is GTS with PTV and x73. With 981 you can use 18" wheels, and since you must have PDK the GTS comes with an additional radiator for the transmission. 981.2 is still unknown but if you an wait it will likely be just as good. And put your name in the ring for the gt4, can't hurt to have the option.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:39 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drwuss
I passed on my first gt4 allocation because no PDK. I now have a gt4 and don't find the transmission to be an issue. My understanding is that you sold the GT3 to save $ (congrats on kid BTW) but how much cheaper is a GT4 than a GT3 to buy/own/run?

My vote is GTS with PTV and x73. With 981 you can use 18" wheels, and since you must have PDK the GTS comes with an additional radiator for the transmission. 981.2 is still unknown but if you an wait it will likely be just as good. And put your name in the ring for the gt4, can't hurt to have the option.
These are good points, I agree. The cost of the GT3 came down to a couple things: Monthly payments (I financed the car), tires (could have downsized to 19, but even then, not a lot of great options), and brakes.

I expect brakes on the GTS (I'd have to upgrade them), GT4, and GT3 to all cost about the same in consumables. So, really it was monthly payments and tires. GT4 is 33% cheaper and can use dirt cheap RE71r tires (which I hear are fantastic). Those two together easily cover child care costs, with how much I was going to the track.

You're probably right, though, that I should go with the GTS. I'm guessing it could be another 2 years before I got a GT4.

As for the kid (my first) - totally worth the downsizing :-)

p.s. Hopfefully the GTS will have the X73 option. The Cayman S currently does not, unless the PASM w/ Sport Suspension is that. It's a little confusing.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:52 PM
drwuss
Racer

What is funny is I committed to gt4 when I found out I was having my first kid because I figured it would be a while (as in maybe never) that I would consider such a purchase again. I really liked my 981.1 GTS and miss it sometimes but as a track tool it needed better brakes and seats even for my sub mediocre skill set. Neither of which is a hard fix and the brakes can be the older type with the pads that are easy to change.

Any of the car options you are considering would be fun.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:08 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

The next GT4 will definitely either be a PDK or have a PDK option. The only question will be if it has a turbo engine or an N/A engine.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:12 PM
drwuss
Racer

My guess is turbo 4. Basing this on my understanding that the only NA option in production will be the same engine in gt3. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no gt4 with manual gt3 coming.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:25 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by drwuss
My guess is turbo 4. Basing this on my understanding that the only NA option in production will be the same engine in gt3. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no gt4 with manual gt3 coming.

I agree, but have to believe there will be another GT4. I think it will follow suit with the turbo 4, as they don't want to make it look inferior.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:44 PM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Great to hear I am not alone. Agree with everything you said. I'd get a GT4 now, but for track use, PDK is a must. I know it sounds silly, but I just don't feel proficient enough with a manual to drive on the track, and I love the paddles. Seems like the GT4 might be another 18 months out. Haven't even seen any spy photos. As for the GTS, if the others are any indication, it won't be much different than the 718 with all the performance options, so I'm wondering if it's worth losing all of the 2017 track season. And ultimately, the 718S track options add up to almost the price of a GT4.
I would not lose a whole season.

I am guessing that next GT4 will be more like 2-3 years out based on no facts other than the last cycle from GT3-GT3RS-GT4. I have no inside information.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:49 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The 718 S is very fast and very capable but I think you'll be disappointed in the flat-4 after owning that GT3. It's a great car but lacks the emotion of the 981.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:35 PM
twentyseven
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

Find a used PDK 981 for $50k, have BGB punch the motor out to 4.x, and upgrade the underbits to suit your needs and you'll have the best of all worlds for similar money as a 718S
Old 11-27-2016, 10:49 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

I've already driven the 718S twice, very spirited. I think you guys might be under-appreciating it. It's really a wonderful engine. I happen to like turbos, and this one has no lag at all. I'm actually hoping the GT4 is a turbo 4. :-)
Old 11-27-2016, 10:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I think the 781 GT4 will be PDK only if anything.
What ever engine it might be, i m sure it will be nice.

I wouldnt wait empty handed for one.

Get a current GT4 and trade it in when the time comes.
The GT4 has auto blip for downshifts which helps on the track if you are sloppy heal-toe.

Quick Reply: Will the 718 GT4 offer a PDK?