Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
I'm running with Chin this weekend too. Didn't realize you were here. Sorry to hear this. PM me if you need some help.
Hey Boss. Already packed it up and made it back home to Texas last night at 2am. My car was black with black Fikse's. My failure occurred on the first blue group session. I ran two laps to warm up the tires. Came in to pit and bleed tires. Went back out and lost third on my upshift to third on the back straight.

Never got to complete a full lap at speed....

I had already run a 1:39 on my first two warm up laps too.... I was shooting to get down to a 1:35.

Oh well! I have COTA in two weeks. If Porsche Plano can't get the car done in time I will bring my GT3 down for that event. I plan to be back at Road Atlanta in October with Chin.

Just a waste to drive so far to have the failure so early! Such as life I suppose!

Chris.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:36 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
Hey Boss. Already packed it up and made it back home to Texas last night at 2am. My car was black with black Fikse's. My failure occurred on the first blue group session. I ran two laps to warm up the tires. Came in to pit and bleed tires. Went back out and lost third on my upshift to third on the back straight.

I had already run a 1:39 on my first two warm up laps too.... I was shooting to get down to a 1:35.

Oh well! I have COTA in two weeks. If Porsche Plano can't get the car done in time I will bring my GT3 down for that event. I plan to be back at Road Atlanta in October with Chin.

Just a waste to drive so far to have the failure so early! Such as life I suppose!

Chris.
With a 1:39 on a warm up lap, you would have been dialed in by the end of the weekend with some great times! I didn't get past my personal best, even on some 2nd hand Hoosiers on 19" OZs. Ran several 1:38 laps.

Keep in touch when you come back down in Oct and good luck with a quick repair.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:02 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 564 Posts

Chris.
Sorry to hear. Did you drive it home?

I would worry that more damage might be done. What's the general wisdom about driving a car with missing 3rd gear?

I'd be very reluctant to have anyone other than my local dealer do the work but I know Porsche will only provide roadside assistance towing to the closest dealer.

Either way it stinks.

So far mine is okay. I agree about the "ticking time bomb" feeling....
Old 05-31-2017, 07:07 PM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Sorry to hear. Did you drive it home?

I would worry that more damage might be done. What's the general wisdom about driving a car with missing 3rd gear?

I'd be very reluctant to have anyone other than my local dealer do the work but I know Porsche will only provide roadside assistance towing to the closest dealer.

Either way it stinks.

So far mine is okay. I agree about the "ticking time bomb" feeling....
As soon as the failure occurred I put it back in the trailer and we towed it home. I dropped it off at Porsche Plano yesterday. Last I heard from my SA this morning is that they are awaiting approval from Porsche to warranty the gearbox. It seems no one has been denied a claim thus far but I will remain nervous until I hear officially they are going to honor the warranty.

I did not even drive it to the dealership; I towed it straight to them.

Here's a clip of the failure. It happened at 1:15:

- Chris.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:36 AM
Hams955
Pro

Has anyone seen or read about Porsche deny the warranty claim for the 3rd gear failure? My car has been sitting at Porsche for a week now with no response back. I am getting nervous that they are not going to honor the warranty claim for the failure.

Just curious.

Chris.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

two GT4 lost 3rd today
Old 06-03-2017, 02:17 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 571 Posts

Does anybody have an accurate count?? Over30 I think?
Old 06-03-2017, 07:48 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

Has anyone seen or read about Porsche deny the warranty claim for the 3rd gear failure? My car has been sitting at Porsche for a week now with no response back. I am getting nervous that they are not going to honor the warranty claim for the failure.

Just curious.

Chris.
Unlikely. Even a few guys with major mods have had this repaired under warranty.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:49 AM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Unlikely. Even a few guys with major mods have had this repaired under warranty.
Hope that is the case. My car is heavily modified including motor mods. I'm a little nervous considering it has been a week and still no response from PCNA approving the replacement.

If it isn't covered I will just have the box sent to Bill Rader and replace 3-4-5 and install a LSD at the same time. I have a backup plan ready but prefer the warranty replacement first.

Chris.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:37 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Hope that is the case. My car is heavily modified including motor mods. I'm a little nervous considering it has been a week and still no response from PCNA approving the replacement.

If it isn't covered I will just have the box sent to Bill Rader and replace 3-4-5 and install a LSD at the same time. I have a backup plan ready but prefer the warranty replacement first.

Chris.

What mods do you have?
Old 06-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Chris.
Reach out to Porsche Customer Care directly and open a ticket complaining about the lack of movement on your car's warranty repair. Within 24 hours you will have a response. 1-800-PORSCHE
Old 06-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by Mech33
Reach out to Porsche Customer Care directly and open a ticket complaining about the lack of movement on your car's warranty repair. Within 24 hours you will have a response. 1-800-PORSCHE
Great idea actually. I will do so Monday morning. I presume they are not open weekends.

Chris.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by Buteo
What mods do you have?
deleted

Last edited by Hams955; 06-04-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

4th trans for friend scheduled to arrive Tuesday- 2 broke- 1 damaged in transit- awaiting 4th
Old 06-05-2017, 08:40 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Mgkuehn lost his 3rd gear again on Saturday. He was planning to drop it off at the dealer last night. He's hoping to get it back quickly, since he has another event in 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"