Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:52 PM
Chris Hebert
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting in a Cayman S - but your build date matches many GT4's with the same issue. I added to the bottom of the database fyi.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:03 AM
ettenw
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I took the current spreadsheet data and summarized the failure by the build month (all models reported). Unfortunately the build date wasn't reported for many failures.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
3rd gear failure - months.pdf (18.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:28 PM
gt3rs.
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ettenw

I took the current spreadsheet data and summarized the failure by the build month (all models reported). Unfortunately the build date wasn't reported for many failures.
It would be interesting to know how many GT4 they build by month to know the failure %.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:45 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3rs.
It would be interesting to know how many GT4 they build by month to know the failure %.

Easy to find out...check the GT4 database here on RL, which has production by month.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:05 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Easy to find out...check the GT4 database here on RL, which has production by month.
The wild card is not knowing how many failures are NOT reported because owners are not on Rennlist. Is the data meaningful (failures reported per month as a percentage of production per month) when we don’t know how many failures occurred that never made it to the spreadsheet?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:32 PM
ettenw
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chart of counts per month, based on the RL GT4 database. I don't know how good the source data is, but it looks like 2015 cars are under represented in the failure data. Just based on failures that are recorded here on RL for the 4/2016 month, it looks like a minimum of a 5% failure rate.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:33 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

3rd gear finally went today.

Username - charliekay
Date of manufacture - May 2016
Total miles - 9950km
Number of track days - approx. 20
Estimated track miles - Estimate of 4000km
The failed gear - 3rd
Brief recount of the failure - Took final corner onto straight. Accelerated. Changed from 2nd to 3rd. No 3rd gear.
Tires - Trofeos
Other relevant info - Suspension mods and headers.

Video -
Old 08-15-2018, 09:16 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Charliekay
3rd gear finally went today.

Username - charliekay
Date of manufacture - May 2016
Total miles - 9950km
Number of track days - approx. 20
Estimated track miles - Estimate of 4000km
The failed gear - 3rd
Brief recount of the failure - Took final corner onto straight. Accelerated. Changed from 2nd to 3rd. No 3rd gear.
Tires - Trofeos
Other relevant info - Suspension mods and headers.
Sorry to hear this Charlie but on the bright side, you'll be getting a new robust tranny.
Any news on ETA ?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:27 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by James88
Sorry to hear this Charlie but on the bright side, you'll be getting a new robust tranny.
Any news on ETA ?
Thanks mate. I am actually happy it happened when it did. I put down a great time which was quickest of the day in my class before it went, and there was 4 weeks before the next competition day.

ETA was 2 weeks. I dropped it off to my dealer on Monday morning, was approved under warranty and new box ordered same day. ETA on it is 28th of August, then maybe a couple of days to fit it. Should have it before the next competition day and will only miss one causal track day which isn't a big deal.

Yep new tight box, nice new LSD and can put this worrying about 3rd gear behind me.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:54 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Thanks mate. I am actually happy it happened when it did. I put down a great time which was quickest of the day in my class before it went, and there was 4 weeks before the next competition day.

ETA was 2 weeks. I dropped it off to my dealer on Monday morning, was approved under warranty and new box ordered same day. ETA on it is 28th of August, then maybe a couple of days to fit it. Should have it before the next competition day and will only miss one causal track day which isn't a big deal.

Yep new tight box, nice new LSD and can put this worrying about 3rd gear behind me.
Excellent stuff.
Whats the story with the new LSD, does it come with the new box ?
Old 08-16-2018, 12:18 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Any news on ETA ?
Excellent stuff.
Whats the story with the new LSD, does it come with the new box ?
As far as I am aware, the LSD in the GT4 is in the gearbox housing. I believe it all comes together. So with a new box will be a new LSD. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:59 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I'll confirm that. The new box comes as a complete unit with new LSD and ring&pinion etc. And yes Charlie did put down the best-in-class time last Saturday. But fear not, the Empire will strike back.....maybe. I'm working on an 18" solution with 255 Yokohama AO50's..............hopefully by Bathurst.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
I'll confirm that. The new box comes as a complete unit with new LSD and ring&pinion etc. And yes Charlie did put down the best-in-class time last Saturday. But fear not, the Empire will strike back.....maybe. I'm working on an 18" solution with 255 Yokohama AO50's..............hopefully by Bathurst.
Awesome mate, looking forward to it. I love that there are a few of us in GT4s so close in time, keeps us pushing.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

As far as I am aware, the LSD in the GT4 is in the gearbox housing. I believe it all comes together. So with a new box will be a new LSD. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Very nice, good to see they're replacing them without any questions. I'm out of the failure build dates.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:24 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Any news on ETA ?
I thought it was just a replacement with the same transmission.
Reading this entire thread I didn't see where any changes or updates were made.
Does anyone know for sure? Hasn't one or two of the replaced transmissions also had the issue?
As they are so secretive, I doubt we will know if any changes or updates were made.

Quick Reply: GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"