Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:35 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by ski35off
We're looking to head more mid-west and east next year so if you have any recommendations for tracks we should visit - let me know!
Far South, Texas, Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, 3.1 mile CCW, 1.3 or 1.7 CCW, or 1.7 CW. Also, Hallett near Tulsa, OK. And COTA in Austin, TX, of course.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:18 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

So far so good with the new transmission at Mid Ohio today -- car felt great and shifting flawlessly 🤞🏻
Old 09-15-2017, 08:32 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
So far so good with the new transmission at Mid Ohio today -- car felt great and shifting flawlessly 🤞🏻
That's great to hear! Next week will mark 10 weeks that my GT4 has been at the OKC dealer waiting on a transmission. I've had many conversations with PCNA who have been helpful and seem to be on top of the dealer. This has not been a fun process, but I have been impressed with the professionalism of PCNA.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:47 AM
Elvorfin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update. 13 weeks in and I'm still waiting on a gearbox from Germany.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:15 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvorfin
^^unreal...literally had mine delivered and installed in 5-6 business days ...that is unacceptable
Old 09-20-2017, 05:55 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvorfin
Two words "lemon law" do they have it in the UK? carl
Old 09-20-2017, 06:37 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Cross post here because it's not clear if all read both threads:

Today I got good news and news about which I don't know what to think. Good news: Tranny arrived at dealer yesterday (and car could be ready this week) and other news is it's a remanufactured tranny. I have asked the dealer to halt the reinstall until I clarify some information. Namely:

Here's a quote from dealer: "The transmission is indeed factory rebuilt. As far as I am aware there are no new transmissions available for the GT4 with the third gear issue corrected. The factory rebuilt parts from Porsche are essentially new, the only piece generally reused is the case.

Part number is 981-300-020-CX" Further quote: "I just spoke with our parts manager. A new GT4 transmission is not available and they are only available rebuilt. I’ve attached a screen shot of the order page." (I am not attaching here yet.)

Does anyone have any factual information to confirm or refute any of these statements?

If the only part reused is the case, it should be no issue, but if this is not the case, well, that's the whole question.

Really appreciate any input.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by HelpMeHelpU; 09-20-2017 at 07:06 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-20-2017, 07:05 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

There is a key word there you need to understand. Remanufactured. They do take all the warranty gearboxes (and engines) and remanufacture them. Not rebuild. Rebuild would be what you get in a shop with half a dozen parts replaced. You were told accurately. It is fully remanufactured from almost scratch.

It's how its done. It's how the 996 and 996turbo warranty was handled as well. Once all new stock is used they start remanufacturing. And Thats what gets used. You have zero reason to doubt the quality or condition of a remanufactured gearbox. If you looked at it you couldn't tell the difference. Its a new gearbox. It looks like a new gearbox. It's just remanufactured.

Personally I would trust a reman gearbox has the gear changed than a new gearbox. There is no way they were opening up new boxes in the warehouse and fixing them. People with multiple failures all had new gearbox replacements. If they've fixed it, the reman box is the one they fixed. Install the gearbox.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:33 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Username: DrJay

Date of manufacture: 1/2016

Date of failure: 9/25/2017

Mileage at Failure: ~6700

Number of track days: 2

Tires: Michelin MP4S

Anyone in Northern MN feel like giving me a ride home?

No suspension mods, only an alignment, a Bbi harness bar, and a schroth harness.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:15 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay

No suspension mods, only an alignment, a Bbi harness bar, and a schroth harness.
Sorry but it never fails just like clockwork one or two fail every weekend! hope the replacement is quick .This whole thing sucks and is pure BS!! Selling a track car you cant reliability track . hope they get their act together . carl
Old 09-24-2017, 10:59 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Did you mean date of failure of 9/24 (today)?

6700 miles and 2 track days isn't much, has to be a record few. I assume the usual 3rd gear? What were you doing when it failed. Nordstern was at Brainerd last weekend. Was another group there today?

Your car IS still drivable by skipping 3rd gear, the fear mongers not withstanding.

Mike
Old 09-25-2017, 12:30 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
There is a key word there you need to understand. Remanufactured. They do take all the warranty gearboxes (and engines) and remanufacture them. Not rebuild. Rebuild would be what you get in a shop with half a dozen parts replaced. You were told accurately. It is fully remanufactured from almost scratch.

It's how its done. It's how the 996 and 996turbo warranty was handled as well. Once all new stock is used they start remanufacturing. And Thats what gets used. You have zero reason to doubt the quality or condition of a remanufactured gearbox. If you looked at it you couldn't tell the difference. Its a new gearbox. It looks like a new gearbox. It's just remanufactured.

Personally I would trust a reman gearbox has the gear changed than a new gearbox. There is no way they were opening up new boxes in the warehouse and fixing them. People with multiple failures all had new gearbox replacements. If they've fixed it, the reman box is the one they fixed. Install the gearbox.

Thanks for your feedback and information.

Despite usually being very precise with words, I inserted the word "remanufactured" when in fact the dealer service advisor wrote "rebuilt." Again, he wrote "The transmission is indeed factory rebuilt. As far as I am aware there are no new transmissions available for the GT4 with the third gear issue corrected. The factory rebuilt parts from Porsche are essentially new, the only piece generally reused is the case.

Part number is 981-300-020-CX" (emphasis above all mine)

Notwithstanding your comments quoted above, people on this thread (and the related thread about the same topic) write things like new transmissions, new manufacturers of the new transmissions, and having exhausted the supply of the transmissions that were failing anyway. Indeed, when first discussed with my dealer, I thought he said something about that Porsche had "run out of the older model" transmission and was replacing them with new ones made by a new manufacturer.

The fact is, I am now probably confusing a whole host of things, from what I read here on RL, to what the service guy said, etc.

In his quote (above), he does say that the only part reused is the case, and I can't imagine anything wrong with reusing a tranny case.

There seems to be so much information and misinformation on this topic going around, so I very much appreciate your (GTgears) input and feedback.

Curious to hear if anyone is seeing replacement trannies with part numbers different from this one: 981-300-020-CX.

Thanks again.

Last edited by HelpMeHelpU; 09-25-2017 at 12:32 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-25-2017, 12:57 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DoxCroc
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Did you mean date of failure of 9/24 (today)?

6700 miles and 2 track days isn't much, has to be a record few. I assume the usual 3rd gear? What were you doing when it failed. Nordstern was at Brainerd last weekend. Was another group there today?

Your car IS still drivable by skipping 3rd gear, the fear mongers not withstanding.

Mike
yeah, I meant the 24th today, I must have hit the wrong key in frustration. Spirited backroad driving, nothing else.

Car is on a flatbread back to Porsche of Minneapolis (I keep wanting to call it Carousel)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:47 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Thanks for your feedback and information.

Despite usually being very precise with words, I inserted the word "remanufactured" when in fact the dealer service advisor wrote "rebuilt." Again, he wrote "The transmission is indeed factory rebuilt. As far as I am aware there are no new transmissions available for the GT4 with the third gear issue corrected. The factory rebuilt parts from Porsche are essentially new, the only piece generally reused is the case.

Part number is 981-300-020-CX" (emphasis above all mine)

Notwithstanding your comments quoted above, people on this thread (and the related thread about the same topic) write things like new transmissions, new manufacturers of the new transmissions, and having exhausted the supply of the transmissions that were failing anyway. Indeed, when first discussed with my dealer, I thought he said something about that Porsche had "run out of the older model" transmission and was replacing them with new ones made by a new manufacturer.

The fact is, I am now probably confusing a whole host of things, from what I read here on RL, to what the service guy said, etc.

In his quote (above), he does say that the only part reused is the case, and I can't imagine anything wrong with reusing a tranny case.

There seems to be so much information and misinformation on this topic going around, so I very much appreciate your (GTgears) input and feedback.

Curious to hear if anyone is seeing replacement trannies with part numbers different from this one: 981-300-020-CX.

Thanks again.
You're welcome. The service adviser may have said rebuilt but Porsche doesn't do that. It's a reman and he, like many people, doesn't know the difference in the terms in the most technical sense. I am confident they have offered you a reman unit. Those X ending part numbers are always remanned.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:43 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

I ended up having the car taken home rather than to Porsche of Minneapolis because I got to thinking that this might be a good opportunity to have the gearing changed.

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of this?

Quick Reply: GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"