Old 11-04-2016, 02:10 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
Default IPD Plenums for the GT4 are back in stock

GT4 Owners,
The IPD competition plenum with 82mm TB has been a very popular item for us causing a back order for quite a bit of time. We have them back in stock and ready to ship.

Product Info :
After a very extensive R & D program we are proud to launch the new 981 IPD 82mm Competition Plenums. We only offer "Competition" versions of the 981 Plenums which upgrades the factory 74mm throttle body with the larger 997 GT3 82mm throttle body. This combination has proven to be considerably more popular and deliver even more performance. This Competition version will work with both 3.4L "S" and 2.9L "Non-S" applications.

The 981 intake is nearly identical to the 987.2 intake. Porsche made a few upgrades with the 981, most notably being that the 981 draws outside air from both driver and passenger air intakes instead of the driver's side only as previously found with all 986, 987 and 987.2 applications. IPD has developed a custom silicone hose designed to perfectly fit the larger 82mm TB and considerably improve air flow.

The new 981 Plenums also benefits from the internal dimpling effect that we are now implementing on all future Plenums. This internal dimpling allows us to control the boundary layer and maximize air flow. Just like a dimpled golf ball travels farther than a smooth golf ball. Controlled turbulent air creates less friction and "tumbles" over a given area more efficiently.

Power gains with the 981 Competition Plenum are virtually the same as with the 987.2 Competition Plenum, putting down 20 horsepower and 16 foot pounds of torque at the wheels. The bulk of the power gains from the IPD Plenum begin around 4000 rpm, continues all the way through to redline and become fully realized in the 6000 rpm range. IPD performance gains stay above both factory power curves throughout the entire rev range

Shoot us a pm for special Rennlist Pricing
Old 11-04-2016, 05:37 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A plenum/tb is responsible for a 20 hp boost? Is that without a tune or with a tune? What bout CEL with the additional air coming in through?
Old 11-05-2016, 12:19 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Is that without a tune or with a tune?
Per IPD FAQ

"11. Do I need to make any changes to my ECU/DME after installing the Plenum?

The short answer is NO. The factory ECU/DME will make all the necessary "adaptive changes" to accommodate the additional air flow provided by the IPD Plenum. A mass air system constantly adapts for changes in the inlet tract. Only in very high power turbo systems are the limits of the stock mass air meter exceeded and provisions need to be made, but short of that the plenum will not cause any calibration issues."
Old 11-06-2016, 08:41 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Per IPD FAQ

The short answer is NO. The factory ECU/DME will make all the necessary "adaptive changes" to accommodate the additional air flow provided by the IPD Plenum. A mass air system constantly adapts for changes in the inlet tract. Only in very high power turbo systems are the limits of the stock mass air meter exceeded and provisions need to be made, but short of that the plenum will not cause any calibration issues."
I believe this is only true for the 987x series which uses a MAS sensor.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:07 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Some clarification would be great!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:13 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
A plenum/tb is responsible for a 20 hp boost? Is that without a tune or with a tune? What bout CEL with the additional air coming in through?
There is no CEL that is trigger by the stock programming on the factory DME. We always recommend for optimal results to mate this with a tune specificity for the Enlarged TB and IPD plenum. Cobb and EVOMS have a great solution that we offer as well.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:14 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by il pirata
Per IPD FAQ

This is correct. The ecu will make calibrations changes due to what it sees through various air flow tables that are monitored.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 18 Posts

I can report that the IPD plenum does work on the GT4 without further
modifications. After adpation over maybe 100 miles (which was noticeable,
mostly in the trottle blip becoming more and more aggressive), one could feel
the difference easily. Better rev-out and more torque from midrange and up.

Over 1200 miles, including a trackday, I had zero issues and no CEL. So I assume
that an ECU change is not mandatory. I did it anyway after my CG sport headers had
arrived two weeks later to get the most out of the whole package, but I think it is
absolutely OK to use the IPD plug+play. Just be sure to perform the TB adaption
before first engine start, which is just a matter of turning on the ignition and waiting
a minute.

Peter
Old 11-07-2016, 01:47 PM
fastauto
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
I can report that the IPD plenum does work on the GT4 without further
modifications. After adpation over maybe 100 miles (which was noticeable,
mostly in the trottle blip becoming more and more aggressive), one could feel
the difference easily. Better rev-out and more torque from midrange and up.

Over 1200 miles, including a trackday, I had zero issues and no CEL. So I assume
that an ECU change is not mandatory. I did it anyway after my CG sport headers had
arrived two weeks later to get the most out of the whole package, but I think it is
absolutely OK to use the IPD plug+play. Just be sure to perform the TB adaption
before first engine start, which is just a matter of turning on the ignition and waiting
a minute.

Peter
I know someone running this on his car without a tune and he has had no issues. I believe it will be fine but really do not want to go into "limp mode" on the track due to this mod. Has anyone else run this without software on the track with no issues?
Old 11-07-2016, 02:13 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Sounds great fellas. Disclaimer I have a Spyder and not a GT4 so I hope I am not breaking any rules etc by asking questions and posting on a GT4 forum thread. But I am looking to really open up the car. Would you recommend getting the install done at a dealership because of warranty related issues? Cheers.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:34 PM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran the plenum and BMC filters on their own only for about 500 miles. The CEL appeared after 100 or so miles went away after a 100 mile highway run, then came back again in city driving. It finally went away for good after approximately 500 miles. The car felt more responsive past 4k rpm, not sure about the power gains I never put it on the dyno.

Now running Faspeeds full race set up and the car is a monster!!!

Good Luck and Enjoy!!
Old 11-07-2016, 03:05 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fastauto
I know someone running this on his car without a tune and he has had no issues. I believe it will be fine but really do not want to go into "limp mode" on the track due to this mod. Has anyone else run this without software on the track with no issues?
We run these combination on the GT4 platform as well as the Standard Cayman S and GTS models with no limp mode on track.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:40 PM
fastauto
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaceDevelopementCenter
We run these combination on the GT4 platform as well as the Standard Cayman S and GTS models with no limp mode on track.
Can you PM me the Rennlist price? Thanks!
Old 11-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I find the the Sport headers help in the low to mid range and the IPD Plenum in the 6000 plus range when the engine starts gulping the increased air
Old 11-07-2016, 10:58 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I find the the Sport headers help in the low to mid range and the IPD Plenum in the 6000 plus range when the engine starts gulping the increased air
That is what I suspected how the mods would work. After plenum I intend to do headers as well.

Quick Reply: IPD Plenums for the GT4 are back in stock