Sponsored by: APR

BMW M2 of Mustang GT350 for daily car

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Gtsilvergt4
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BMW M2 of Mustang GT350 for daily car

So, I am thinking of getting rid of my daily driver.
2009 BMW 335i Convertible, Manual, loaded. 59000 miles.
Essentially, I am the only one that uses my daily driver so back seats not a concern. I would probably put 9000 miles a year on it.
I already have a GT4 as my weekend toy and may even add a GT3 manual in the future if possible.

So, I want a more fun car than the 335i and am considering an M2 or the GT350.
It seems to me that as a daily driver, the M2 would be more fun.

I would love to here some opinions.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 10-10-2016, 12:53 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Why not use the GT4?
Old 10-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Gtsilvergt4
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DK7
Why not use the GT4?
I do, as a weekend toy.
I don't mind abusing a $60,000 car like a GT350 or the M2.
Id prefer to enjoy my limited miles in the more special cars.
Anyway, hopefully others will answer my question.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:57 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DK7
Why not use the GT4?
This^

The cars you mention all fall in the same category to me.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:22 PM
rave426
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GT4 is not a good DD IMO. I say scratch both options and go CPO M4. It can be had about same price as new M2 and non-markup GT350 and offers more space and creature comforts.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:42 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

I daily drove my GT4 for a few months. It was totally fine but there was really no point as in my environment I had no chance to wind out a naturally aspirated engine, nor any turns to enjoy the handling.

Depends what you value in commuting.

GT350:
+ Much more characterful engine
+ That engine sound!
- cheaper feeling interior
- larger perceived size

M2
+ torque for urban 0-50 mph type of driving
+ DCT gearbox available for stop and go
- A bit more "stealth"
- Maybe not as fun as GT350 on the right road

My head says M2, but I'd probably go for the GT350. Driving a fast car slow is really frustrating (as is often the case during commuting), so I would also consider something slower than both.

Last edited by vantage; 10-10-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:50 PM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is for Mustang. I kind of like the M4 idea though.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:55 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 204 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong with either option. I would go for the M2 for daily duties because of the low end torque. It will feel like the faster car day to day.

If it were me, and I didn't need a back seat, I would also consider the C7 Grand Sport as an alternative to the Mustang.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:09 PM
derpington
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought a GT350 before I had my Spyder. The oil pump failed at 1400 miles, destroying the entire engine. When the Ford provided tow truck came, it was not equipped to two the vehicle, as the owner's manual required it to be flat bedded. I refused the tow and called Ford again, this time deciding to walk the mile to the nearest dealership rather than waiting inside the car for another hour in the 90+ degree heat.

When the car finally arrived at the dealership, it was being towed incorrectly, as they had once again not requested a flatbed. Ford then refused to provide a loaner vehicle. This was a corporate Ford decision, not a dealership one (I spoke with corporate). They said it is not their policy to provide loaner vehicles. The dealership was nice enough to drive me home.

After 30 days of the dealership still awaiting a replacement engine from Ford, I contacted Ford corporate to try to get them to buy back the vehicle, as I was within the Lemon Law window in my state. After a few days they called back, telling me that Ford had made the decision not to buy back the vehicle. I asked them what contributed to their decision, as it was essentially a brand new vehicle that had been immobile for over a month, and now had the value reduced from a Carfax showing a blown engine. The representative told me that she couldn't tell me why a decision was made. I asked to speak with someone who could tell me why then, and she told me I couldn't do that either. It is not Ford's policy to discuss why they make decisions. She told me if I would have to call the Better Business Bureau if I disagreed with their decision.

I did call the Better Business Bureau and opened a case. At around 45 days, I finally received my vehicle back. It was returned to me unwashed having sat outside the dealership for a month, with obvious grease from the mechanic's gloves on the Alcantara steering wheel.

I sold the car immediately upon receiving it back because I will never deal with or give money to Ford again.

BOTTOM LINE: Never buy a Ford. Don't even consider it. No matter how enticing their products may seem, having to deal with them as a company is not worth it, and they should not be rewarded for their terrible business practices.

Get the M2 or literally any other car from any other company before you buy a Ford.
The following users liked this post:
unclemat (04-03-2021)
Old 10-10-2016, 03:20 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

As a current owner of a GT4 and an Audi S4, I'd like to suggest you take a look at the Audi S3, S4, S5.. or RS_ models if you can find them.

This is a great DD, and a mod-friendly platform. Tons of aftermarket bits and a wide variety of tunes available. All of that and you can cut people off on the freeway without them thinking that you are another BMW *****.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:29 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my gt4 weekend/1m dd combo. I'd also consider the upcoming m2 cs(l is apparently being dropped). The m is much more cushy and practical imho.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:33 PM
flk
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
As a current owner of a GT4 and an Audi S4, I'd like to suggest you take a look at the Audi S3, S4, S5.. or RS_ models if you can find them.

This is a great DD, and a mod-friendly platform. Tons of aftermarket bits and a wide variety of tunes available. All of that and you can cut people off on the freeway without them thinking that you are another BMW *****.
Funny I also have a silver GT4 and S4. Good combo
Old 10-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Once I can justify replacing the WRX wagon (only 130k miles now, I'll wait till 200k), I'm going for a Golf R. (Audi S3 in sheep's clothing, cheaper, and more practical with a hatch)
Old 10-10-2016, 05:43 PM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only problem with the Audi ideas are that OP is asking about two rear-drive "sports-cars," totally different driving dynamics than AWDers. That being said, I too like AWD for a daily.

To the OP if those are the only two choices, and the selection criteria is RWD, I go for M2 all day. Cheaper, presumably more "mod friendly" if that's your thing, and the interior is Ford v. BMW. (I definitely think the GT350 is the "cooler" car and would love to have one, just not as a DD.) As to the reliability issue, I think they will both suck.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:56 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by derpington
I bought a GT350 before I had my Spyder. The oil pump failed at 1400 miles, destroying the entire engine. When the Ford provided tow truck came, it was not equipped to two the vehicle, as the....
Wow, that totally bites..

Quick Reply: BMW M2 of Mustang GT350 for daily car