Sponsored by: APR

GT4 G81 Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 05:24 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager6
Factory service manual states that any time the trapezoidal pan is removed that an alignment should be performed. I do not think the transmission can be replaced without removing the pan.

V6
Yup.
I had an alignment done too.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:27 AM
Quack
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack
Picked up my GT4 yesterday after having the transmission replaced, and today just as I drove into the garage - coolant systems error on the dash. Looking under the back of the car I see the same reddish purplish coolant leaking from the left side of the engine

It smells like coolant too.

I rang the dealership and they told me the techs didn't touch the coolant system when they replaced the transmission.

Porsche Roadside are sending out a tech to look at it, but I figure it'll need a tow back to the dealership for them to look into what is wrong...

Frustrating, especially when my other car is off the road too...
The dealership rang me and admitted they damaged a vacuum hose, which is part of the coolant system, when they replaced the transmission. The hose was different to the vacuum hoses for the exhaust. They are replacing the hose and I should get my car back soon.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:35 AM
Golden Child
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine required parts to be ordered from Germany. 1 month wait. So now vacuum hoses are disconnected and exhaust valves are permanently open.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:07 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

I've been having "soft" clutch pedal issues (when engine is cold) since getting my car back from the dealer.

Yesterday, I was expecting to once again get into my car and find the clutch pedal super soft and sticking down near the floor, having to pull the pedal back up with my hand.
Low and behold, yesterday the clutch pedal was back to normal with the normal stiffness all the way through the pedal travel.
Perhaps air in the system that finally alleviated itself?
Old 05-29-2019, 01:22 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts

Dealer called me this morning for my GT4 trans recall, in-service date of July 2016.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:26 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Was going to take my car in for alignment and SA tells me car is due for transmission recall.

Good to know about coolant flush, and alignment. Probably makes sense to do brake flush too since clutch needs to be bled.

i should probably request they do alignment after.

Kudos to Porsche for owning up to the transmission problems and preempting with recall. Guess it’s that bad that it could be a 100% occurrence but makes for good customer goodwill for future car buying decisions.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:52 AM
noddy981
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My GT4's transmission was changed out back in February, but the car is now back in the dealers for another transmission change out due to a slight oil leak from the casing joint!
Old 06-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by Quack
The dealership rang me and admitted they damaged a vacuum hose, which is part of the coolant system, when they replaced the transmission. The hose was different to the vacuum hoses for the exhaust. They are replacing the hose and I should get my car back soon.
Just an FYI on the vacuum hoses for the exhaust...

Both of my vacuum lines popped off the other day after a drive.
I had recently had the brake fluid flushed / replaced and one week before that, I had had the transmission replaced.

Porsche tells the techs that they simply need to re-crimp the existing clamp at the end of the line that goes to the exhaust valves.
But this doesnt seem to work, given that they more often than not fail to hold the vacuum line on anymore.

The problem is that the clamps cannot be purchased separately.
They come WITH THE LINE.

As a result, a whole new line has to be ordered in order to get the new clamps.
My SA is packaging this up as a "warranty" issue and ordering new parts.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 06-18-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:34 PM
TheExiger
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my transmission changed out from the recall a few weeks ago, and immediately noticed the clutch engagement point and feel to be different. It used to be fantastic, very smooth and linear engagement providing you great feedback for how it was grabbing. Now it is much more difficult to start in first gear in a smooth manner without the engine slightly bucking. When changing the higher gears it also isn’t as smooth (very small window of engagement).

I asked the dealer and they said they didn’t do anything that would have affected the clutch or how it feels. I drove it for a few hundred miles to see if I would get used to it, or if it would feel better, but it hasn’t changed. Can anyone think of something that might have caused the feel of the clutch engagement to change from the transmission swap? The pressure of the clutch is the same, but the engagement is very different. Anyone else experience this, or any ideas before I call up the dealer in a few days? Thanks
Old 06-26-2019, 10:03 PM
Type901
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TheExiger
I had my transmission changed out from the recall a few weeks ago, and immediately noticed the clutch engagement point and feel to be different. It used to be fantastic, very smooth and linear engagement providing you great feedback for how it was grabbing. Now it is much more difficult to start in first gear in a smooth manner without the engine slightly bucking. When changing the higher gears it also isn’t as smooth (very small window of engagement).

I asked the dealer and they said they didn’t do anything that would have affected the clutch or how it feels. I drove it for a few hundred miles to see if I would get used to it, or if it would feel better, but it hasn’t changed. Can anyone think of something that might have caused the feel of the clutch engagement to change from the transmission swap? The pressure of the clutch is the same, but the engagement is very different. Anyone else experience this, or any ideas before I call up the dealer in a few days? Thanks
Interesting. I noticed something very similar when I had my transmission replaced. While the clutch pressure is the same and shifts from 1st through 6th gears are crisp and I'd say more positive, I did notice some shudder when engaging 1st gear that wasn’t there before. The dealership had done about 15 at the time I had mine replaced and hadn’t had any feedback like that. I’ve driven it a bit and it’s gotten better, or my sensitivity to it has adapted, but I still notice it compared to the old one which was buttery smooth engaging 1st gear.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:39 AM
KeepItLow
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking to buy a 981 GT4 atm, can I just confirm all 981 GT4 2015-2016 built will get the transmission recall.

Previously looked at one from local Porsche dealer which was October 2015 built and the sales told me it didn't need the gearbox replaced..
Old 06-28-2019, 01:19 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by KeepItLow
Looking to buy a 981 GT4 atm, can I just confirm all 981 GT4 2015-2016 built will get the transmission recall.

Previously looked at one from local Porsche dealer which was October 2015 built and the sales told me it didn't need the gearbox replaced..
99% likely correct. Almost no failures for cars built in 2015.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:46 AM
KeepItLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
99% likely correct. Almost no failures for cars built in 2015.
Thanks for that, guess I got it all mixed up thinking that earlier built model will likely have gearbox issues for replacement rather than late 2016 built ones..
Old 06-28-2019, 09:24 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KeepItLow

Actually, no. It looks like all GT4s built in or before Oct/Nov 2015 will not have their transmissions replaced proactively by Porsche. My car was built in June '15, and the dealer checked and said my car and all early cars are not on the list.

On the other hand, why replace the trans when it doesn't have the defective part? The gear design/assembly changed in Nov '15, according to common belief.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:38 AM
KeepItLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BillC3
Actually, no. It looks like all GT4s built in or before Oct/Nov 2015 will not have their transmissions replaced proactively by Porsche. My car was built in June '15, and the dealer checked and said my car and all early cars are not on the list.

On the other hand, why replace the trans when it doesn't have the defective part? The gear design/assembly changed in Nov '15, according to common belief.
Appreciate the info. Thank you!

Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure