GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 G81 Transmission Failure

Old 07-17-2017, 04:18 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

^That seems really odd. I forget. Does the GT4 have a auto blip match rev option in sport mode?
Could it be a computer issue?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This getting more interesting
Old 07-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Elvorfin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
^That seems really odd. I forget. Does the GT4 have a auto blip match rev option in sport mode?
Could it be a computer issue?
Yes it does but as 3rd runs out at about 110 I would imagine that the number of downshifts into 3rd is significantly less than 3rd to 2nd. I dont know if 2nd is splined or welded on but suspect that this gear would get the most abuse in the gearbox. In my humble opinion of course.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:05 PM
Elvorfin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Odd transmission issue this week at high plains in Colorado.

This is happened to another GT4 (not me thankfully) just after we had been discussing the third gear failures. She went into turn ten with a downshift to second- nothing was there, tried third and also nothing there. She ended up stopping the car and giving it a restart and everything went back to normal. Second and third were fine.

Very odd and she is a very experienced driver ( driving in the orange group- highest here).
To me that sounds like a clutch issue rather than gearbox. When 2nd went AWOL did the clutch peddle come up from the floor?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvorfin
To me that sounds like a clutch issue rather than gearbox. When 2nd went AWOL did the clutch peddle come up from the floor?
Clutch or shift cable issue. Not related to the 3rd problems.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvorfin
That I dont know. We were opposite sessions and she told me in passing as I was heading out. I can do some more digging.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:25 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really disappointed to discover the problems with GT4 gearboxes. There is thread about 991 GT3 valvetrain issues. Perhaps there are other current models with badly designed technical bits. All in all though this is a sad reflection on a company that used to pride itself on the longevity of their cars. Cars designed to be tracked!!

It seems to me that changes are rushed to market without adequate testing. That is a shame. A couplde of miles of Arctic testing and 20,000 miles in Death Valley are clearly not enough.

Or am I being unfair?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 569 Posts

whats interesting to me is you didnt hear about one gearbox problem on the intro to the car. they have press days and they beat the sh-t out of them ?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:43 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bucklesandrings
...Or am I being unfair?
I've only had a Porsche since 2015, but from an engineer's perspective they are tackling some pretty big challenges of making street cars that also perform on the track. At least they are fixing them, even though we all would prefer some type of recall with a true/permanent fix for everyone.

I'm not trying to deflect criticism, but what other car manufacturer out there has so many, mostly stock, cars of varying models taken to the track? BMW maybe. There seem to be millions of Miatas out there, but that is one model from Mazda and I'm sure there is a recipe required to convert them to be track worthy. Corvette is Chevy's one-hit track wonder (maybe Camaro but I don't see many of those). Mustang.

As a reference point, Google Ford Focus RS Track Problems and we see it could be a lot worse.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:35 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
whats interesting to me is you didnt hear about one gearbox problem on the intro to the car. they have press days and they beat the sh-t out of them ?
I bet they used older gearbox inventory on their parts bin car. I continue to assert that Porsche was unaware that Getrag made the change to how they were assembling 3rd gear.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:27 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
I've only had a Porsche since 2015, but from an engineer's perspective they are tackling some pretty big challenges of making street cars that also perform on the track. At least they are fixing them, even though we all would prefer some type of recall with a true/permanent fix for everyone.

I'm not trying to deflect criticism, but what other car manufacturer out there has so many, mostly stock, cars of varying models taken to the track? BMW maybe. There seem to be millions of Miatas out there, but that is one model from Mazda and I'm sure there is a recipe required to convert them to be track worthy. Corvette is Chevy's one-hit track wonder (maybe Camaro but I don't see many of those). Mustang.

As a reference point, Google Ford Focus RS Track Problems and we see it could be a lot worse.
The Corvette Z06 has its share of issues. Some of you might already know

http://autoweek.com/article/supercar...ormance-issues

I'm in the market for a GT4. I'll admit the 3rd gear issue is keeping me on the sideline for now. If I buy a GT4, I want to keep it for a while. I don't want to pay out of pocket for a rebuilt transmission when the warranty is up. I hope Porsche does a recall and gets to the bottom of the situation.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:30 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
The Corvette Z06 has its share of issues. Some of you might already know

http://autoweek.com/article/supercar...ormance-issues

I'm in the market for a GT4. I'll admit the 3rd gear issue is keeping me on the sideline for now. If I buy a GT4, I want to keep it for a while. I don't want to pay out of pocket for a rebuilt transmission when the warranty is up. I hope Porsche does a recall and gets to the bottom of the situation.
i like to call the corvette Z06 the one lap wonder.

i think if you plan to own this car after warranty is over you should plan to invest into a new 3rd. Not terribly expensive in the long run.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:42 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Was there for one of the waves at Portimao, and one look at the tires was enough to know the cars were hammered for days (weeks, perhaps). I felt bad for the outside front tire at 115 mph in a very long downhill sweeper...and for good reason as it was on its second day out there. I heard of no failures that week, and I usually hear about the car hidden in a garage or whatever. The GT4s were tough.

That said, I've also heard the 981 6MT gearbox is on its upper limit with the GT4 3.8 in stock form, so it will be interesting to see what the 982 GT4 gets for a gearbox. And, if there was a supplier switchup or failing, that may be a separate detail that pushes things over the edge.

Originally Posted by aryork

^ Yes.

Originally Posted by bucklesandrings
I am really disappointed to discover the problems with GT4 gearboxes. There is thread about 991 GT3 valvetrain issues. Perhaps there are other current models with badly designed technical bits. All in all though this is a sad reflection on a company that used to pride itself on the longevity of their cars. Cars designed to be tracked!!

It seems to me that changes are rushed to market without adequate testing. That is a shame. A couplde of miles of Arctic testing and 20,000 miles in Death Valley are clearly not enough.

Or am I being unfair?
Don't know about fair/unfair, but maybe lacking in historical perspective.

Porsches—like all cars—are complex vehicles and can fail due to all kinds of simple and complex problems. Early 911s had chain tensioner failures, mid-year cars had case and head stud problems, 3.2s had stud and valve guide (and gearbox) problems, 964s had head leaks and other issues, 993s had SAI issues that can require five-figure repairs, 996s had…well, you get the idea. You can find similar failings in all sorts of Porsches. And other cars. My take, after owning several Porsches and testing hundreds of Porsches on road and track in periods lasting from a quick session to a week to two years, is that reliability is very, very good. In 20 years of working around the cars and literally hundreds of thousands of miles, only three major failures come to mind: A rear main seal in a 987 Boxster S, a connecting rod failure in a 914-6 vintage race car at 140-150 mph, and a power-steering failure in a Panamera 4S (victim of a rock or branch).

Given how Porsches are used, I feel Porsche's overall reliability record is quite good—and maybe better than ever (if you look at the mainline products) despite the 991 GT3 debacle and however many GT4s are having gearbox issues.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Saying that means that you aren't paying attention to one of the main points of this failure, that it has been *almost* exclusively confined to build dates after March 2016, near the end of the limited production run. That automatically excludes the press intro cars and nearly everybody that got their car in 2015.

Mike
Old 07-25-2017, 07:23 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by DoxCroc
Saying that means that you aren't paying attention to one of the main points of this failure, that it has been *almost* exclusively confined to build dates after March 2016, near the end of the limited production run. That automatically excludes the press intro cars and nearly everybody that got their car in 2015.

Mike
Mike,I am paying attention and have been following this thread for the last year. My point is that I have yet to see any definitive proof (picture of the old design?) that they actually made a change in the construction or design of third gear . Although maybe its what happened and logically could be(who knows for sure?). Or it could be a bad production run/welds ? No one really knows ,till if ever the factory discloses what the root cause is. By the way my car is a 6/16 production so im interested.carl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure