Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 G81 Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Good news Herr Blume your new replacement transmission has arrived. Unfortunately it was damaged due to improper packaging. Don't worry, we'll order another.

Wonder how that would fly?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How many damaged in transit? I think I recall 4 in thread?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Ready for this !!! So a second failure on friends GT4 and you would think Porsche would improve their shipping procedure on transmissions? NOT - UFB
ugh that is terrible - improper packaging or just human error of careless handling?
Old 06-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Mgkuehn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Third gear AWOL for second time. Same failure as September 2016.
Car built in Jan - Feb 2016, delivered March 2016
Mileage - 7800 miles
Tires - Cup 2's on 19" Forgeline
Track days - 28.5 days

Failure 1 (VIR, Sep 2016)
Oak Tree Turn - brake, downshift to 3rd, turn in, back on gas, brake, turn in, squeeze peddle, no 3rd gear.
RPM's at failure - Approx 5500
Track days at failure - 13.25 Days
Mileage - 4600 miles
Transmission replaced - Sep 2016 by Dealer.

Failure 2, Summit Point - Shenandoah (BRS circuit map - Turn 8), June 4, 2017
Hard brake, down shift into third, turn into moderate speed left turn, open wheel, light tap on brake, turn back to right, squeeze throttle begin to accelerate, at apex RPM's suddenly jump - no third gear.
Additionally, the Traction Control Warning light came on and message came up. Tried several restarts in paddock but would not reset. Pulled the active codes last night. I'll post them later as don't have them with me.
RPM's at failure - 4600
Track days since transmission replacement - 15.25
Mileage - 7800 miles
Note: Been very cautious when driving on the street since replacement not to use/stress 3rd.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:06 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

mgkuehn--Thanks for sharing.

Wow, that is very troubling the people are experiencing more than a single tranny failure in GT4s. (I have a May 2016 build and am just wondering when....)

Please keep us posted on any comments from Porsche about this second instance.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:14 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Mgkuehn - very sorry to hear.

Do I understand correctly (on the Summit Point failure) - you were IN third gear, lifted off throttle then squeezed back on after a light brake tap - and as you squeezed throttle the gear broke?

This is the first account I recall of the gear braking while it's already engaged. It seems other accounts involve a downshift or upshift.

It didn't occur to me I could be driving along in third gear and it breaks (with no shifting in the moment at the moment it breaks).

Thanks for the detail. I hope it's fixed quickly, with a solution that works. Very disappointing that Porsche puts the same part back in the car as a "fix". When will they actually address the issue?

There is a "Concerned Owners Group" of 991 GT3/GT3RS with documented engine issues. They have asked for, and been granted, a meeting with some Porsche execs in Atlanta.

At what point do we organize a GT4 Concerned Owners Group and request an audience with PCNA to discuss the transmission.

I realize it's a tiny percentage of the overall production - but of course not all owners are on RL and if there are 30 +/- reported issues we know of....how many are worldwide?

I try not to think about this but at times it's hard to relax and enjoy driving.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:26 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
"....I hope it's fixed quickly, with a solution that works. Very disappointing that Porsche puts the same part back in the car as a "fix". When will they actually address the issue?

There is a "Concerned Owners Group" of 991 GT3/GT3RS with documented engine issues. They have asked for, and been granted, a meeting with some Porsche execs in Atlanta.

At what point do we organize a GT4 Concerned Owners Group and request an audience with PCNA to discuss the transmission.

I realize it's a tiny percentage of the overall production - but of course not all owners are on RL and if there are 30 +/- reported issues we know of....how many are worldwide?

I have a very senior contact at PCNA and will bring it to his attention. I only wish we had more data points. Even though 30+ (whatever) seems high, and recognizing it's only those we've documented here on RL (which means likely more elsewhere), statistically 30 out of ~5,000 doesn't seem like a lot (to me).

What's more troubling is the question you raise about the previous poster's experience, If failure happened while engaged. If that's the case, it seems to me a much greater likelihood of causing an incident (crash, etc.), which of course is much more disconcerting.

Not to dilute the GT3 group's efforts, but perhaps we could latch on to their meeting agenda. After all, they are both GT cars and most such owners are a great enthusiast base.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Really sorry to hear about your second failure. Hopefully you get a new 'improved' replacement soon.

Mine is an Oct 15 build with zero issues at 11,300 miles. Three Smokis GT trips and 6 track days. There were a lot of 2-3-2, shifts on the Smokies trips.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:22 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Statistics of % of production with broken 3rd don't accurately portray the issue.
This is a design defect from changing from a spline 3rd to a weaker EB weld, so eventually all will fail if stressed enough.
It's disappointing that they have apparently chosen to just replace with the same poor design, rather than going back to the previous design.
Reminds me of a problem I had with an Apple monitor, I thought that I would eventually get a good replacement, but after a half dozen I gave up and went elsewhere.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

This is the first account I recall of the gear braking while it's already engaged. It seems other accounts involve a downshift or upshift.
Yup, it can happen that way, at least one other experienced this failure mode.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:12 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
I have a very senior contact at PCNA and will bring it to his attention. I only wish we had more data points. Even though 30+ (whatever) seems high, and recognizing it's only those we've documented here on RL (which means likely more elsewhere), statistically 30 out of ~5,000 doesn't seem like a lot (to me).

Not to dilute the GT3 group's efforts, but perhaps we could latch on to their meeting agenda. After all, they are both GT cars and most such owners are a great enthusiast base.
Great that you can send this message to someone who may have influence to bring action for an appropriate fix.

I asked about tagging onto the 991 GT3 engine issues agenda but the thought is that they don't want to appear to be "piling on", and frankly - I think it might dilute their cause, and that of the GT4. It makes sense to see how their meeting goes (I think it's next month or very early August) and go from there.

I agree - 30 cars isn't "a lot" considering overall estimated production - but what's especially troubling is the multiple failures some are experiencing, and knowing that the replacement transmission is no better than the original. It probably means at some point they are all doomed to fail (which is very unsettling).

We can learn from the 991GT3 group and make our case going forward if deemed appropriate/necessary.

I wonder how many 991 GT3/GT3RS owners also own a GT4. Not sure how to find out other than start a thread.

I think it's also possible if a "dual" owner happens to be a meeting delegate - maybe during a coffee break they'll bring up the GT4 3rd gear situation if they feel it's a good opportunity.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:59 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Great that you can send this message to someone who may have influence to bring action for an appropriate fix.

I asked about tagging onto the 991 GT3 engine issues agenda but the thought is that they don't want to appear to be "piling on", and frankly - I think it might dilute their cause, and that of the GT4. It makes sense to see how their meeting goes (I think it's next month or very early August) and go from there.

I agree - 30 cars isn't "a lot" considering overall estimated production - but what's especially troubling is the multiple failures some are experiencing, and knowing that the replacement transmission is no better than the original. It probably means at some point they are all doomed to fail (which is very unsettling).

We can learn from the 991GT3 group and make our case going forward if deemed appropriate/necessary.

I wonder how many 991 GT3/GT3RS owners also own a GT4. Not sure how to find out other than start a thread.

I think it's also possible if a "dual" owner happens to be a meeting delegate - maybe during a coffee break they'll bring up the GT4 3rd gear situation if they feel it's a good opportunity.

I have both ....it's like a ticking time bomb
Old 06-05-2017, 09:05 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I have both ....it's like a ticking time bomb
Us too. 1300 miles on the RS and still breaking it in. Over 7000 on the GT4 and have a full summer of track events planned.

Ah well....if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:06 PM
mecho
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Yup, it can happen that way, at least one other experienced this failure mode.
Yes, mine happened while in 3rd gear under acceleration. Four track days since without incident.....yet
Old 06-05-2017, 11:36 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mecho
Yes, mine happened while in 3rd gear under acceleration. Four track days since without incident.....yet
You continue to track/drive your car without third gear???

Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure