Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 G81 Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

A guy in a GT3 blew a coolant hose and 4 cars ended up in the gravel. I was the last one in with no place to go. Totaled the turbo I hit. A few months later I was contacted by the guy's insurance company after they paid his claim. They didn't care about the waivers as they didn't sign them. His insurance was using subrogation to recoup their losses. Two attorneys and my insurance agent got me out of the mess.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:44 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
Most I have ever read protect the organizer, if you drive recklessly or willingly create a hazard you're on your own.
depends on the event. Most organizations waive your ability to sue, at minimum, the organizer. Many organizations have liability insurance also and provide indemnity for instructor errors.

Some I've seen also proclaim to limit your ability to sue other participants (to prevent lawsuits arising from the event) but there are possible challenges to those terms of the contracts on grounds of unconscionability.

Anyways, I will be bringing the car into Porsche next weekend. Will keep you all posted on the status of repair.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:45 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by moveswiftly
depends on the event. Most organizations waive your ability to sue, at minimum, the organizer. Many organizations have liability insurance also and provide indemnity for instructor errors.

Some I've seen also proclaim to limit your ability to sue other participants (to prevent lawsuits arising from the event) but there are possible challenges to those terms of the contracts on grounds of unconscionability.

Anyways, I will be bringing the car into Porsche next weekend. Will keep you all posted on the status of repair.

Keep us posted. I have a contact at Manthey.... If you guys want me reach out I can. If you guys think its a batch then start looking for SN's and post in the data thread. Mine goes in the air in 2 weeks and i'll have a look.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:18 AM
SFN1TB
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Received a call from the dealership today: Transmission which was supposed to deliver this week has been pushed back to "the week of Thanksgiving." They could not be more specific. Car was brought to the to dealership 10/25.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:42 PM
PorscheRuminator
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new trans has been installed. Just wondering what the odds are that the issue will happen again... track events around here are done until spring, maybe some answers will be known by then.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:16 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
You know what the beauty of free advice on the internet is? You are free to agree with it or free to reject it as not applicable to yourself. Every single time you take a car on the track that is a measured risk. Not everyone lives by this rule, but I personally will not set a tire on the track unless I am 100% ok with leaving that day with no car. Any single day something can break or someone else can take me out and my car is gone. I could also lose my life. That's reality of the game we play.

That said, there's a difference between having something that was working fine failing and going out on track with knowledge that there is already a failure in place. Yes, either instance could result in you in the wall. But getting on track with anything that's not 100% and being aware that it's not 100%?

So, feel free to question my advice. When I post, I post based on exactly what I would do if it were my car. You're not me. It's your car and your life. If you feel that the risk it too great, then act differently than I would.
Great advice. We've had two of our club members die on the track. Anything can happen.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:33 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Update: Transmission ordered; but no ETA at the moment and it will take at least 1 month at the moment.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:52 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by moveswiftly
Update: Transmission ordered; but no ETA at the moment and it will take at least 1 month at the moment.
Sorry to hear it's going to take longer than expected to get a new transmission. I'd guess that PAG has looked into this by now and hopefully come up with an answer. Most likely one they won't share. Maybe the delay indicates they have found something.

The third gear issue on this car is considerably less worrisome than the DLC on the GT3.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:17 AM
steve0827
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Another one went this weekend at the track. 2016 build (I think March), 6000 miles, not sure on exact number of track days, but definitely over 5. Same symptoms as everyone else.

Will report back as I hear from owner.

In the meantime, it would be great if those who have experienced failures to check out my thread re: database
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9614...-database.html
Old 11-21-2016, 01:48 AM
MineisanRS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve0827
Another one went this weekend at the track. 2016 build (I think March), 6000 miles, not sure on exact number of track days, but definitely over 5. Same symptoms as everyone else.

In the meantime, it would be great if those who have experienced failures to check out my thread re: database
Hmmm, do you think we have any chance Porsche will make an official statement on this? And will we know wether the new part is improved over the actual one?
Old 11-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any news on delivery dates on replacement units?
Old 11-21-2016, 01:43 PM
MineisanRS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Any news on delivery dates on replacement units?
My gearbox is announced tomorrow, from our last conversation in October... I'll keep you posted
Old 11-21-2016, 03:02 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
You know what the beauty of free advice on the internet is? You are free to agree with it or free to reject it as not applicable to yourself. Every single time you take a car on the track that is a measured risk. Not everyone lives by this rule, but I personally will not set a tire on the track unless I am 100% ok with leaving that day with no car. Any single day something can break or someone else can take me out and my car is gone. I could also lose my life. That's reality of the game we play.

That said, there's a difference between having something that was working fine failing and going out on track with knowledge that there is already a failure in place. Yes, either instance could result in you in the wall. But getting on track with anything that's not 100% and being aware that it's not 100%?

So, feel free to question my advice. When I post, I post based on exactly what I would do if it were my car. You're not me. It's your car and your life. If you feel that the risk it too great, then act differently than I would.
Well said, and the reason my GT350 is staying home next week and the FR-S is going to RA instead. With the GT350 oil cooler line recall coming I wouldn't feel right knowing it could fail on track and put somebody else in the wall.

Peter
Old 11-21-2016, 03:02 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

6 track days, 10K miles and no failures thus far. I have to admit that I do have the 2nd gear notch that most everybody has acknowledged on these cars, but it does not seem to have been a forecast for disaster.

I do have two theories on why this could be an issue for some. I have been using the auto-blip feature in Sport mode for about 9/10 of the cars life. On track, it simply is much better and more effective. Also, I'm curious to know if any of you guys with failures have beefed up suspension. I would have to assume that the increased torsional rigidity of the car might be affecting the way the transmission flexes and distorts under extremities. Also probably why slicks are not recommended on these cars, as stated in the manual.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:09 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by steve0827

For those who are counting, I believe this makes 9 reported here on RL.

Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure