Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Dundon GT4/Spyder Race Header Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 11:52 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I picked up a slightly used set from a rennlister- excited to install the headers.

I'll post a pre Dyno and post like others. I expect my baseline numbers to be a bit lower as I'm in Denver and the air is a tad thin up here.

Also, my car currently has an akrapovic cat back system in place. It will be interesting to see how that sounds and if any difference in power is present from other graphs.

But to think, I managed to snag an akrapovic system and dundon header for 5k
Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Gains with an akra rear are a bit less than stock due to changes in resonance... with a Cobb tune can get most of it back.
Originally Posted by Buteo
I picked up a slightly used set from a rennlister- excited to install the headers.

I'll post a pre Dyno and post like others. I expect my baseline numbers to be a bit lower as I'm in Denver and the air is a tad thin up here.

Also, my car currently has an akrapovic cat back system in place. It will be interesting to see how that sounds and if any difference in power is present from other graphs.

But to think, I managed to snag an akrapovic system and dundon header for 5k
Old 09-18-2017, 12:15 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Gains with an akra rear are a bit less than stock due to changes in resonance... with a Cobb tune can get most of it back.
Good to know. Will likely go tune here as well. Thanks for making a great product.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Just wanted to update this with some real world experience.

My good friend has a 991.2 manual GT3 and we managed to do a couple fun pulls from 20ish to the top of 3rd shifting into 4th the other day. My car has ipd/Gt3tb/bmc/akra catback/Dundon header and their Cobb tune.

After three pulls, we both were amazed. The gt4 maybe lost by a tire length. Yes, really. It was dead even on three back to back to back pulls.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

My good friend has a 991.2 manual GT3 and we managed to do a couple fun pulls from 20ish to the top of 3rd shifting into 4th the other day. My car has ipd/Gt3tb/bmc/akra catback/Dundon header and their Cobb tune.

After three pulls, we both were amazed. The gt4 maybe lost by a tire length. Yes, really. It was dead even on three back to back to back pulls.

don't mean to pooh-pooh your results, but is your friend the same ability as you in operating a manual??
Old 02-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

And that is why I backed out of my allocation. Also saved a couple of bucks.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:54 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
don't mean to pooh-pooh your results, but is your friend the same ability as you in operating a manual??
He is a much better driver than I. He races competitively all over the USA. He also times in mid low 1:50s at high plains Raceway his 991.2 Gt3.

I know my post is going to receive some skepticism, as it should. But we were both quite surprised by the results.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

He is a much better driver than I. He races competitively all over the USA. He also times in mid low 1:50s at high plains Raceway his 991.2 Gt3.

I know my post is going to receive some skepticism, as it should. But we were both quite surprised by the results.
what know what your car making at the wheels?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Five12Free

what know what your car making at the wheels?
pre modifications we did a baseline dyno- 339hp and 304 lb/ft. Have yet to go back as the mods were relatively recent.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:31 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Hah, that's awesome! Like for like the .2 GT3 should be way faster but given a modded GT4 vs a new GT3 with a tight engine and a heavy list of options and this could make sense. There's a massive hp difference between the two cars but the torque difference is only 30ft/lbs and the GT4 is 160lbs lighter (~5% in weight which would be like about 18ft/lbs). Add headers, exhaust, intake, and tune to the GT4 and most of that torque advantage goes away. Throw in a light spec GT4 (pccbs, lwbs) vs heavy spec GT3 (iron rotors, 18 ways, bose, lift, etc) and the weight difference could push 200lbs. At higher speeds the HP difference should help the GT3 pull away easily but at lower speeds running through a gear or two I could see the mods and weight difference keeping it surprisingly close.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:53 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ajw45
Hah, that's awesome! Like for like the .2 GT3 should be way faster but given a modded GT4 vs a new GT3 with a tight engine and a heavy list of options and this could make sense. There's a massive hp difference between the two cars but the torque difference is only 30ft/lbs and the GT4 is 160lbs lighter (~5% in weight which would be like about 18ft/lbs). Add headers, exhaust, intake, and tune to the GT4 and most of that torque advantage goes away. Throw in a light spec GT4 (pccbs, lwbs) vs heavy spec GT3 (iron rotors, 18 ways, bose, lift, etc) and the weight difference could push 200lbs. At higher speeds the HP difference should help the GT3 pull away easily but at lower speeds running through a gear or two I could see the mods and weight difference keeping it surprisingly close.
Actually you are nearly spot on with specs..

Gt4- pccb/lwb/hre p101 wheels.
gt3- iron brakes/ lift / but he does have lwb.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Cda (drag area) is ~4.5% lower on the GT4 too
Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Actually you are nearly spot on with specs..

Gt4- pccb/lwb/hre p101 wheels.
gt3- iron brakes/ lift / but he does have lwb.
I’m sure the Akra exhaust weighs a few less lbs then stock too

cant wait to see what it dynos at... you’re making it hard to resist the mod bug.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

cant wait to see what it dynos at... you’re making it hard to resist the mod bug.
Car is completely different with mods. Much more responsive and alive. I’d say do it and don’t look back.

Contact Dundon for headers + tune- Jamie was great to work with.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:52 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

You're welcome to try my car at the Smokies event in April. A good back to back comparison.

Quick Reply: Dundon GT4/Spyder Race Header Group Buy