GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Old 03-22-2019, 11:55 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Guys there is a big difference in cost and ease of repair between the coolant pipes, yes I had 2 6GT3 repaired, and finding a shop to do a correct repair on a shock tower failure. It’s nice the 991.1 engine has a 10 year warrenty but do you want to own one or even try to sell one towards the end of the 10 years. I thought long and hard about buying a GT4 for a new TT and track car but ultimately didn’t because of the Al strut towers, got a 987.2 CS instead.

All that being said I will own a 997.2 GT3 one day warts and all.

Peter
Old 03-22-2019, 12:05 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

allow me to retort to your witty response... I fail to see where Porsche has even announced a 718 Spyder. Oh you mean the testing cars and development cars? Last time I checked, those aren’t for sale. So to date, no Spyders with GT suspensions have been sold.

No one said we shouldn’t discuss these failures. But people like you are making it sound like they’re just melting while they are sitting there.

And I’m here because this is the GT4 forum and I own a GT4. You’re here because you’re neither a GT4 owner or buying one. Oh, wait... I get the feeling you’re just like a lot of people on rennlist these days. ‘Oh I would totally buy this GT3 if it had illuminated sills’ Or ‘I would totally buy this GT4 if it was for sale last week’. I think I have a better chance of taking over Canada with a high school marching band behind me, playing ‘we willl rock you’, versus you buying a Spyder.
^^
Okay, your band is going to need snow boots, toques, & mittens, when the Germans tried that on the eastern front it didn't go well.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Guys there is a big difference in cost and ease of repair between the coolant pipes, yes I had 2 6GT3 repaired, and finding a shop to do a correct repair on a shock tower failure. It’s nice the 991.1 engine has a 10 year warrenty but do you want to own one or even try to sell one towards the end of the 10 years. I thought long and hard about buying a GT4 for a new TT and track car but ultimately didn’t because of the Al strut towers, got a 987.2 CS instead.

Peter
tell that to all the poor guys who had to fix their cars because a 997 dumped coolant on the track in front of him.

Look no one is excusing Porsche about the strut towers but some forum trolls keep posting this sky is falling drama about it. Not one strut tower failure has led to any crashes. Most were caused by crashes. On the other hand, several crashes were caused by 997 coolant dumps.

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
^^
Okay, your band is going to need snow boots, toques, & mittens, when the Germans tried that on the eastern front it didn't go well.
I don’t know man... in the summer these guys might give me the tactical advantage

Old 03-22-2019, 01:34 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,163 Posts

I think I have a better chance of taking over Canada with a high school marching band behind me, playing ‘we willl rock you’, versus you buying a Spyder.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:30 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

allow me to retort to your witty response... I fail to see where Porsche has even announced a 718 Spyder. Oh you mean the testing cars and development cars? Last time I checked, those aren’t for sale. So to date, no Spyders with GT suspensions have been sold.

No one said we shouldn’t discuss these failures. But people like you are making it sound like they’re just melting while they are sitting there.

And I’m here because this is the GT4 forum and I own a GT4. You’re here because you’re neither a GT4 owner or buying one. Oh, wait... I get the feeling you’re just like a lot of people on rennlist these days. ‘Oh I would totally buy this GT3 if it had illuminated sills’ Or ‘I would totally buy this GT4 if it was for sale last week’. I think I have a better chance of taking over Canada with a high school marching band behind me, playing ‘we willl rock you’, versus you buying a Spyder.
I don't understand your hostility. Is researching 100k+ purchases not a thing for you? Just close your eyes and jump head first?

People looking to buy these cars have a valid concern about this issue. I WANT to buy this car. I have a $2500 deposit down for it and am second on the list, I literally can't do anything more to prove my intent to purchase at this point until the order books are actually open.

You can tell yourself that it's not a problem and drive your GT4 every day, assess the risk as you see fit. It is proven that there is a chance of this happening, and we don't know what that is. Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance. For me learning about this issue has given me pause and made me reassess where to spend money. I'm following this thread because I'm looking if there is a aftermarket fix, design change, tech bulletin, something from Porsche acknowledging this at all. Something to give me cover to just go ahead and buy it without that gnawing feeling at the back of my head that "Hey there's a 1% chance your strut tower will collapse on any random impact".

Yes every car has design flaws, what matters is the seriousness of the flaw if it fails and the available mitigations. I also have an E46 M3, it has plenty of flaws but you can preemptively fix them. The concern here is that there is currently no truly viable way to reinforce that strut tower. The plates don't seem to stop it at all, just protect your hood. If there was an actual fix I would just budget that in the price and handle it once I got the car.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:39 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chapmans
I don't understand your hostility. Is researching 100k+ purchases not a thing for you? Just close your eyes and jump head first?

People looking to buy these cars have a valid concern about this issue. I WANT to buy this car. I have a $2500 deposit down for it and am second on the list, I literally can't do anything more to prove my intent to purchase at this point until the order books are actually open.

You can tell yourself that it's not a problem and drive your GT4 every day, assess the risk as you see fit. It is proven that there is a chance of this happening, and we don't know what that is. Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance. For me learning about this issue has given me pause and made me reassess where to spend money. I'm following this thread because I'm looking if there is a aftermarket fix, design change, tech bulletin, something from Porsche acknowledging this at all. Something to give me cover to just go ahead and buy it without that gnawing feeling at the back of my head that "Hey there's a 1% chance your strut tower will collapse on any random impact".

Yes every car has design flaws, what matters is the seriousness of the flaw if it fails and the available mitigations. I also have an E46 M3, it has plenty of flaws but you can preemptively fix them. The concern here is that there is currently no truly viable way to reinforce that strut tower. The plates don't seem to stop it at all, just protect your hood. If there was an actual fix I would just budget that in the price and handle it once I got the car.
my hostility? You must have short term memory loss... you were told to research and you came back with some irritating comeback about why am I here? You previously stated you’ve done your reasearch and chose to ‘order’ a 718 Spyder. So if you chose to move on and order, why all the BS? But ...

There have been no 718 Spyder allocations released by Porsche. So you posting you have one is a flat out BS. I’d like to see your order and deposit.

Last edited by Five12Free; 03-23-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:47 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Every car has issues. How about those coolant lines, 2nd gear synchros made of butter, potato chip pressure plates, and lsds good for just a few days at the track before wearing into open diffs on the 997.2 GT3? I don't own a 997.2 GT3 but I read about all those on the internet sooooooo....

Sorry I don't mean to bag the 997, I spent a day in a 997 last week and it was awesome, would still buy despite those known issues if I had more garage, and $$$ for repairs just trying to make the point that most cars have their strengths and weaknesses and all cars have issues, especially cars pushing the performance envelope. If we prioritized reliability we'd be on the Toyota Corolla forums... And I bet people are bitching there about something too... Maybe mismatching beige trim pieces...

I definitely want to find a solution that could help reinforce the front strut towers but the problem hasn't been as prevalent as the 3rd gear issue so far (and Porsche is covering that) so I do think people need to chill just a bit. Fwiw, I hear the rear shock towers are reinforced and supposedly there's a reinforcement plate riveted in there. I can see rivets on the outside of the shock tower but the undercoating makes it tough to see what's actually going on from under the car. If someone has access to a porsche parts or body shop manual maybe there's something we could learn from how the rear shock towers are setup?
Well said. Agree 100%

Peter
Everybody has to make that call themselves, but me personally would not pass on owning such a great car as the GT4 clearly is, just because there is a minuscule chance of having a strut tower fail on me. Not enough to make it worth missing out on this car IMHO, especially since it would be covered by an insurance, be it your regular collision or track insurance.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:31 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts
Talking

No way... those shock towers are made of glass!
Yeah somethings definitely wrong here, still scratching my head

Old 03-22-2019, 07:16 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

tell that to all the poor guys who had to fix their cars because a 997 dumped coolant on the track in front of him.

Look no one is excusing Porsche about the strut towers but some forum trolls keep posting this sky is falling drama about it. Not one strut tower failure has led to any crashes. Most were caused by crashes. On the other hand, several crashes were caused by 997 coolant dumps.

True sort of in the strut tower failures which came 1st. Hit curb, pothole, loose control and crash with failure. At this time there is nothing proactive that can be done to prevent the possible failure, or just drive like a Granny. With the 996/997 GT3/Turbo you spend a few thousand dollars and it becomes a non issue. Personally I have seen more damage caused by vettes blowing motors and oiling down the track.

And no the sky isn’t falling with the poorly designed strut towers but it is something to consider when purchasing a GT4.

Peter
Old 03-22-2019, 07:57 PM
JoeCS
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the aeronautical engineers out there. Can methods used in detecting metal fatigue in airplanes be used for early detection. Not sure about the feasibility.
Any known ST failures for other car manufactures?
Old 03-22-2019, 08:02 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

All those guys are busy trying to find problems with the 737 Max 8's out there right now.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:54 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by chapmans

Ah yes, e46 and s54 problems. Sure, if you buy an old car like an e46 or a 997 you can do preventative maitenance. You can do that because many owners before you broke stuff, came up with fixes, and a decade later you benefit. How many broken cars, dedicated owners, independent technician hours, and money had to be invested so that people years later could say, "hey, do these 10 things and you're good."

E46 also has weak strut mounts (hence the oem off road top hat reinforcements BMW offers for the E46) and weak rear subframe and we can talk about vanos and rod bearing issues too. How many people had to lunch their s54s before we figured out how to maintain them so I could spend thousands on tightening vanos bolts in my s54 and replacing bearings as preventative maintenance? How about that cryogenically treated vanos hub

The GT4 is literally a new car compared to the 997 and e46. This thread is super valuable for people that want to find a solution, the buying/value/fear mongering is peanut gallery noise and doesn't actually help make any progress in this topic, at all. I'm sure we'll figure it out just like people did for all the other issues.

For shoppers comparing this to an older car, if this concerns you and is preventing you from buying the car, why do you keep posting? Don't buy the car, come back to the forum in a decade after the GT4 owners and support community has figured all this out for you just like the 997 and e46....
Old 03-22-2019, 10:09 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

True sort of in the strut tower failures which came 1st. Hit curb, pothole, loose control and crash with failure. At this time there is nothing proactive that can be done to prevent the possible failure...

And no the sky isn’t falling with the poorly designed strut towers but it is something to consider when purchasing a GT4.
You’re assuming. No one has lost controll and crashed as a result of this, yet. We all know it could happen. But we shouldn’t assume with something so serious? Until it happens let’s stick to facts. The suspension and steering rack are still connected by multiple points below.

...and if by reading a couple pages of this thread, you can’t make an informed descision then I don’t know what to say. This thread doesn’t need to be buried in BS like the 718 GT4 thread where people won’t read anything but the last post and then post a photo from last year saying ‘new pics’.

The GT4 is literally a new car compared to the 997 and e46. This thread is super valuable for people that want to find a solution, the buying/value/fear mongering is peanut gallery noise and doesn't actually help make any progress in this topic, at all. I'm sure we'll figure it out just like people did for all the other issues.

For shoppers comparing this to an older car, if this concerns you and is preventing you from buying the car, why do you keep posting? Don't buy the car, come back to the forum in a decade after the GT4 owners and support community has figured all this out for you just like the 997 and e46....
This and then some... sick and tired of all these Looky Lou’s and Jody’s cat calling in the GT4 forum about ‘oh these cars suck because of these strut towers, 3rd gear, etc’ while using false pretenses that they’re prospective buyers. It’s all tied to valuing you see all over this and the GT3 forum. As read in the GT3 forum, this is type of sh*t that turned ‘Rennlist from the Colosseum into fashion week’.

Simple: the problem is documented, if you aren’t trying to help fix, don’t post.

Last edited by Five12Free; 03-23-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:09 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, but an owner can increase the chance of this issue occurring by lowering the car...
I agree that from what we have seen anecdotally it appears that lowering the car leads to this failure, but until there is enough objective data organized in a way where it can be analyzed, I'm not willing to conclusively make that general statement. If we knew that a certain minimum ride height resulted in a statistically significant increase in these failures, that would be a useful conclusion to make, i.e. if you go below X mm ride height, you are in the danger zone.

As I posted in other threads in this forum when I owned my GT4, the car has a range of acceptable ride height per the OEM specifications and cars are delivered at varying settings within the range (or out of range). My car when delivered was sitting higher than the upper acceptable range of the spec. I took it to the dealer and had them set it within OEM specs under warranty. So my car had been lowered, but was still within OEM spec. I never had a strut tower failure, sold the car with 3,800 miles to another RL member. I don't think we know enough ride height details on the cars that have had the strut tower failure. What was their ride height set at?

Earlier in this thread Joe Weinstein's car had the failure, and his had been lowered, but IIRC he didn't record the ride height that resulted from that lowering effort. Joe auto-crossed his car but the failure occurred on the highway when he hit a dip in the road.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:30 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,163 Posts

E46 also has weak strut mounts (hence the oem off road top hat reinforcements BMW offers for the E46) and weak rear subframe and we can talk about vanos and rod bearing issues too. How many people had to lunch their s54s before we figured out how to maintain them so I could spend thousands on tightening vanos bolts in my s54 and replacing bearings as preventative maintenance? How about that cryogenically treated vanos hub

Bingo.
Excellent post!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: strut tower failure