Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:32 AM
UFreefer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
I wish you'd taken a photo of CS's damage. I'm interested to see if Porsche made any design changes on 718 CS towers, they had to have know 981's were having failures.
Yeah I thought about it but the crew was not happy and were having to push it up the ramp of the car trailer.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:38 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
I wish you'd taken a photo of CS's damage. I'm interested to see if Porsche made any design changes on 718 CS towers, they had to have know 981's were having failures.
Pictures BGB posted in another thread showed no difference.

Peter
Old 03-21-2019, 12:01 PM
MVEED3
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Although we don't have pics, we can conclude from this occurrence on CS platforms that the effort in adding similar mods to standard GT4s is not worth the trouble. Scratching all of the CS mods off my list...
  1. Welded/bonded strut tower reinforcement
  2. Motorsport plates
  3. Shorter strut bodies
I already did stiffer springs. I'll continue to avoid berms and perform routine visual inspections of the front towers.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,163 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold

Pictures BGB posted in another thread showed no difference.

Peter
Page #357 and post # 5344

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1033...l#post15559066

Old 03-21-2019, 01:40 PM
jlennox
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked my car up from the shop today. This shop is one of two shops in DFW with the correct jigs to do this repair. My service advisor said they replace about 4 porsche shocktowers a month. The failure is likely more common than people realize. I have the old part in the trunk. I'll upload pics of it later today.
The following users liked this post:
unclemat (08-18-2021)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:00 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by jlennox
I picked my car up from the shop today. This shop is one of two shops in DFW with the correct jigs to do this repair. My service advisor said they replace about 4 porsche shocktowers a month. The failure is likely more common than people realize. I have the old part in the trunk. I'll upload pics of it later today.
Assuming the two shops are sharing the repair work equally, that's 8 strut tower repairs per metro area per month. Far from insignificant.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:04 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Assuming the two shops are sharing the repair work equally, that's 8 strut tower repairs per metro area per month. Far from insignificant.

This has now (finally) cured me of my GT4 lust. My Cay S track/street car is doing just fine. I will not worry about Ims/Rms issues or bore scoring as much now, they can be fixed or dealt with by a 3.8 rebuilt engine. That strut tower failure is crazy.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:34 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 443 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I'm not going to panic just yet. This is an extrapolation from an anecdote ... 8 strut tower failures per month per large metro area, worldwide, since the introduction of the 991 GT3 sounds like a LOT ... i.e. thousands of strut tower failures .... and probably not an insignificant percentage of the total number of GT cars sold. I feel like we would be hearing a lot more about it from owners on Rennlist if that were the case?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:44 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Do you think that the guys holding on to these things thinking they are going to be collectors items or asking top dollar for resale want it commonly known that the strut towers fail with any regularity?

Last edited by venom51; 03-21-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:47 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 981-GT4
I'm not going to panic just yet. This is an extrapolation from an anecdote ... 8 strut tower failures per month per large metro area, worldwide, since the introduction of the 991 GT3 sounds like a LOT ... i.e. thousands of strut tower failures .... and probably not an insignificant percentage of the total number of GT cars sold. I feel like we would be hearing a lot more about it from owners on Rennlist if that were the case?
Sums it up. I know dozens of GT3/4 owners and don’t know anyone with a failure. I’ve put 7000 miles on my GT4 including 1500 track miles this year. I haven’t worried once about the strut towers. I feel like the people freaking out about this are mostly ‘speculative’ gt4 buyers at this point. Most current owners have accepted this exists and have moved on. That’s what insurance is for right?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:53 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

Sums it up. I know dozens of GT3/4 owners and don’t know anyone with a failure. I’ve put 7000 miles on my GT4 including 1500 track miles this year. I haven’t worried once about the strut towers. I feel like the people freaking out about this are mostly ‘speculative’ gt4 buyers at this point. Most current owners have accepted this exists and have moved on. That’s what insurance is for right?
I would feel the same on the street, but doesn't most track insurance exclude mechanical failures (which this would seem to be, since it can occur without even having an off?)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:02 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
I would feel the same on the street, but doesn't most track insurance exclude mechanical failures (which this would seem to be, since it can occur without even having an off?)
I haven’t heard one person have a failure without hitting a curb, pothole, wall, etc. That’s damage from a collision and covered under track insurance and street insurance.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:10 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Street or track, experiencing this failure could be fatal. That's a big potential downside from hitting a pothole. To me, the size of this potential downside makes it almost irrelevant whether the failure rate is 2%, 5%, or higher, or whether insurance would cover it or not. The anecdotal evidence from DFW hints that the problem may be more prevalent than we've expected.

What % of GT car owners post on, or even know about, Rennlist, and what % of them would find it beneficial to write about their incident if they'd experienced it?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:12 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Same here, there's quite a few 991 GT3's and GT4's here in Australia and have not heard of one single incident.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Street or track, experiencing this failure could be fatal. That's a big potential downside from hitting a pothole. To me, the size of this potential downside makes it almost irrelevant whether the failure rate is 2%, 5%, or higher, or whether insurance would cover it or not. The anecdotal evidence from DFW hints that the problem may be more prevalent than we've expected.

What % of GT car owners post on, or even know about, Rennlist, and what % of them would find it beneficial to write about their incident if they'd experienced it?
you sound like a broken record... you’ve stated your point over and over, we get your stance. Don’t buy one okay? You’re just some negative Nancy that bad mouths other people’s descisions. We get that you’re awesome and know everything

Quick Reply: strut tower failure