Sponsored by: APR

Salter Aero Wing Supports

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Salter Aero Wing Supports

As many of you have asked about Salter Aero wing supports, and there is a lot of talk and knowledgeable people on wing supports this thread is more fitted to be a discussion on wing supports. Below are some images of the Salter Aero Wing Supports.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Knolow; 08-10-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:23 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Knolow
....... notice the dramatic improvement in design visually and in performance without compromising the OEM aerodynamics. .......
Considering that it sits higher in the airstream I would question that comment about not compromising OEM aerodynamics. Where is the data that shows this?
Old 08-09-2016, 12:07 AM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Considering that it sits higher in the airstream I would question that comment about not compromising OEM aerodynamics. Where is the data that shows this?
I can see your point but visit the site and reach out to the Salter Aero. They are very responsive and open which is why I was able to work out a group buy. I am helping forum members get this product for a great deal as people want aftermarket wing risers.

I myself track and compete and will be utilizing this in my competitions.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:10 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Crackpipe money. And $60 for shipping? Is that next day air with a complimentary bottle of wine?
Old 08-09-2016, 05:14 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

as people want aftermarket wing risers.
Not being rhetorical, but genuine curiosity - Why do people want aftermarket wing risers?

Just aesthetics? or does it improve aero?

I know people used to do it for 997.2 RS but mainly because on that car, the factory wing blocked rearward visibility badly and higher risers helped. But that is not the case with the GT4, the wing really doesn't block rearward visibility much and if anything, looking at this pic, it looks like using these risers will make it worse.

Anyway, this one at least looks good unlike that tacked on one some other vendor was selling.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:31 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

My 2 cents.....this is a pure visual upgrade at the moment. They really, really look good and I'm very tempted to buy them. As other have mentioned, my only worry is IF they deteriorate aerodynamics....at least if it stays the same that would be Ok with me. Too difficult to quantify aerodynamic changes on cars so not sure what kind of data they could provide.

Guessing here but if they do improve a bit over the OEM setup at the standard angle maybe you could balance a bit by just removing the front diffusers...just a guess.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:51 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Guys, It's obvious this will generate more downforce when ordering that vente or grande caramel macchiato

C&C mods..
Old 08-09-2016, 09:07 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Guys, It's obvious this will generate more downforce when ordering that vente or grande caramel macchiato

C&C mods..

Yeah.....I know. Make mine double shot please!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Not being rhetorical, but genuine curiosity - Why do people want aftermarket wing risers?

Just aesthetics? or does it improve aero?

I know people used to do it for 997.2 RS but mainly because on that car, the factory wing blocked rearward visibility badly and higher risers helped. But that is not the case with the GT4, the wing really doesn't block rearward visibility much and if anything, looking at this pic, it looks like using these risers will make it worse.

Anyway, this one at least looks good unlike that tacked on one some other vendor was selling.
There definitely is a market for wing risers. Hence why vorsteiner and Fabspeed have manufactured their version of extended wing risers.

And I agree Salter Aero created the best wing riser as it's an entire piece.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 AM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Crackpipe money. And $60 for shipping? Is that next day air with a complimentary bottle of wine?
Lol like everything in life it may not be for everyone. People have different views on the value of money and what they are willing to exchange it for.

Price wise this is why there is a group buy going on. Trying to help get everyone a great product for a great price.

And keep in mind this is not a bolt on section it is the entire wing riser with everything required to install it and no extra holes or water leaks. Help the price go down and add to the group buy. Be a team player. Lol
Old 08-09-2016, 09:35 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
My 2 cents.....this is a pure visual upgrade at the moment. They really, really look good and I'm very tempted to buy them. As other have mentioned, my only worry is IF they deteriorate aerodynamics....at least if it stays the same that would be Ok with me. Too difficult to quantify aerodynamic changes on cars so not sure what kind of data they could provide.

Guessing here but if they do improve a bit over the OEM setup at the standard angle maybe you could balance a bit by just removing the front diffusers...just a guess.
It may actually decrease downforce.
From https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9432...uprights.html;
Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
The air coming over the roof will tend to flow down over the hatch area. This means the stock low mounted wing needs less angle of attack. If you raise the wing, you may need to increase the angle of attack. Additional adjustment may be useful.
No mention of increased angle adjustment, and if there were it may look odd at that setting;
http://salteraero.com/product/gt4-wing-support/

Also, a higher wing won't be able to take advantage of air flow over the rear fenders;
Name:  aero.jpg
Views: 4847
Size:  137.5 KB

Last edited by d00d; 10-28-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol like everything in life it may not be for everyone. People have different views on the value of money and what they are willing to exchange it for.

Price wise this is why there is a group buy going on. Trying to help get everyone a great product for a great price.

And keep in mind this is not a bolt on section it is the entire wing riser with everything required to install it and no extra holes or water leaks. Help the price go down and add to the group buy. Be a team player. Lol
I'm a free market kind of guy but I'm also a free speech kind of guy

It is the best looking piece on the market right now but as new Porsche owner (like many GT4 buyers) that is a lot of coin for an untested pair brackets. The $60 shipping just pushed my big mouth over the edge...
Old 08-09-2016, 11:41 AM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Too many online experts just guessing here. Take a look at the Crawford Wing that is installed on many GT3's for track purpose, it has approx 6" higher location than standard GT3 and increases downforce substantially in wind tunnel testing.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:49 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by odwa
Too many online experts just guessing here. Take a look at the Crawford Wing that is installed on many GT3's for track purpose, it has approx 6" higher location than standard GT3 and increases downforce substantially in wind tunnel testing.

I'll venture a "guess" that the aero on a rear engined GT3 just might be different then the GT4's? You did mention some key words though: "wind tunnel testing"
Old 08-09-2016, 12:00 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

The guessing is due to a lack of information from the manufacturer. GT Automotive (no relation or dog in this fight) is at least attempting data in their design.

I'll also echo Accel and say if you're putting a product out there, be prepared to answer hard questions or at the least, describe your product as aero neutral and purely for aesthetics, which in this case, may be visually pleasing for some.

Quick Reply: Salter Aero Wing Supports