Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Salter Aero Wing Supports

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:41 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want them even more now that everyone seems pissed about them. I think I am in on the group buy. Where do they ship from? $60 seems nuts if it is domestic...
Old 08-10-2016, 12:45 AM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drwuss
I want them even more now that everyone seems pissed about them. I think I am in on the group buy. Where do they ship from? $60 seems nuts if it is domestic...
Lol. They are based out of Canada.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:10 AM
drwuss
Racer

Is there no group buy now? I guess haters won? I am in if it exists.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:58 AM
91K-Man

Hi all, wind tunnel testing is the only way any of the comments will proven or not. Have spend a great deal of time in the windtunnel, published a paper on this with SAE. Aero balance is what is important, any rear wing will give you down force its the front treatment that's the problem. Turning on the front splitter/disfuser. tested one car, 500 rear downforce and ZERO front , and it have a very large front splitter. 2 hrs later we had 150 lbs front downforce. Tuning in a windtunnel is another we can use. The tunnel is is $1,400 us per hr. We can test a base line in 30 minutes, so we can do 2 cars in an hour. Technical staff available.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
juanpablo046 (11-06-2022)
Old 08-10-2016, 01:38 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ now THAT'S a wing riser!

Do you have GT4 fitment? I mean, may as well go all the way.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:46 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drwuss
Is there no group buy now? I guess haters won? I am in if it exists.
Lol no one won. In any conflict resolution step one is to take a time out and regroup after everyone calms down.

There definitely are a lot of passionate people and people who want to provide comments. It makes sense to use this to create discussion.

When I receive my wing supports I will be on the track and then here giving updates and posting pics for the performance and visually minded.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:08 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

agree that there is lots of heat rather than light here on this thread so far

i support 24chromium in his point that wind tunnel analysis is expensive, no doubt it is if the objective is to get real, useful data

i also support the point that there is not much doubt a higher wing will increase rear downforce, but i think (just using common sense and general technical knowledge) the issue is at high speeds where such aero pieces matter is whether the car is BALANCED in its application of downforce. So how to compensate on front aero become very important. Think about the very high speed turns on track where you turn in at 100 mph and want grip... would be scary if the rear was being forced down more than PAG intended with no compensation in the front end. FRONT GRIP is needed in these key moments.

i think people who are looking at these uprights for real performance gains rather than looks and C&C compiments should be worried about the above IMHO.

Last edited by golfnutintib; 08-10-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:22 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

I see no heat...just reasonable requests for clarity.

The confusion comes from whether this support is a performance or aesthetic modification and if the former, then provide the necessary data in order not to compromise driver safety, otherwise this is nothing more than a C&C mod and possible safety risk by unbalancing the GT4 platform.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:23 PM
sho-one
Advanced

Ok, so they are not "Wind Tunnel Tested", nor any performance gains proven.

I ordered a set based on visuals, I think they look great. I currently have a set of Vorsteiner risers and fabspeed is coming out with a set that is even higher. This sits somewhere in the middle.

The questions of safety is a valid concern, but maybe a little overblown.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

I think these are great looking and I am considering. I think I will wait for some feedback from the first few that install. Also- would like to see more pictures from those that install and make sure truly "plug and play"

But - they are darn nice looking and look OEM quality
Old 08-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

Each to their own, but It would never come close to my car. Even the looks was fine. For all I know at this point, that thing could make me slower upp steep kesselchen at Nurburgring.

For all I know, it could make my car even more understeery?!

I think many here have valid points when they ask for data before they goahed.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

^Do not disagree. I want to wait for some more input from the first adopters. They did nail the design and height now just want to make sure it does not upset the balance of the car
Old 08-11-2016, 04:52 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not for or against these or any other aftermarket parts? But can with authority say that a qualified driver can and will notice the benefits of a wing change, be it height attack angle or both.

Do you see ANY race team run of to the wind tunnel during the weekend to test a change before it's made?

The basics of what a change will or should do are well known, and while the high end teams will do wind tunnel testing, it's not during the race weekend where changes are constantly made.

A few days at the track with a few different configurations could easily get a product like this to perform.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Pretty steep price for worse aero, visibility, weight, and aesthetics... But as with many things in life, it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Porrrrsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Pretty steep price for worse aero, visibility, weight, and aesthetics... But as with many things in life, it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Just another opinion FWIW . . .

Pretty steep price --agree, especially if buyer's intent is cosmetic
Worse aero? --unknown
Worse visibility? --unknown, guess at best until seen from inside car
Worse weight? --Really?!? The difference in clothes you wear day to day is probably more than the weight these add.
Worse aesthetics? -- agree with "eye of the beholder". I happen to think they look pretty good on the car from the pics shown so far.

Quick Reply: Salter Aero Wing Supports