Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Parking Brake Fault got me G-Force and Gear Shift (also, $4500 in parts...)

Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Parking Brake Fault got me G-Force and Gear Shift (also, $4500 in parts...)

A couple months ago I had a random parking brake fault warning appear on the MID when I started the car after having parked it with the parking brake engaged. The parking brake still appeared to be holding the car when engaged and releasing when disengaged, and the next time I started my car even after having engaged the brake, it didn't reappear, so I dismissed it as gremlins. Then it happened one more time a few weeks later and again went away, so I dismissed it again, but then it started happening about 85% of the time I started the car. So after 3 days under that condition, I brought it to the dealer. Turns out that even though it appeared to be behaving correctly, quite a bit had gone wrong, as described in the summary below. The car ended up in the shop for 10 days over this due to 3 rounds of ordering parts triggered by 2 failed calibration attempts over the course of several calls with the Porsche mothership in Germany. I got to see the work order on my SA's computer that actually listed cost information (my paperwork just says "WARRANTY" for all cost items) and the parts alone came to $4500. Labor showed as $1500, but my SA said they hadn't even finished recording all of that yet. I told him that if my car hadn't been under warranty, I would've been none too pleased to get a $6000+ bill for a parking brake that doesn't seem an improvement in any meaningful way over the traditional version that uses a $20 cable and no sensors or motors.... Although I guess it could've been worse. Considering the rotors ended up being replaced, I could've been out of warranty and had PCCB. (In fairness, from what I've read about Porsche, I would bet they'd have goodwilled a solid chunk of this out of warranty because of the sheer absurdity of handing a customer a $6000+ parking brake repair bill.)

The dealer told me that even though they didn't think I had done this, the parking brake condition when they got it resembled what they would expect to see on a car that had been drifted via parking brake, which I don't even see as possible with an electronic brake, at least not with any degree of precision. I have no idea what went wrong here. I use my parking brake everywhere I park, even on level surfaces, except when I'm at the track, and nothing ever seemed amiss. However, now that I have the car back, the parking brake engages noticeably faster (~1.5s rather than 2s) and the release sound is noticeably different from the engagement sound, whereas before they sounded identical. Maybe that will change with some use, but I don't remember the parking brake speed or sound changing since picking the car up new.

Anyhow, on the plus side, part of their troubleshooting involved updating my car's software. That reset all of my MID settings (and disabled the one-touch function on the driver's window, but that's easily retrained), but while re-disabling most of the MID panes that I never use anyway, I saw G-Force and Gear Shift Assist in that list, and both of them work. I did not ask for them to try to enable this, so maybe there isn't a trick to this after all other than just installing the latest software as the paperwork notes?

Lastly, does anybody know what the "spreaders" mentioned in the write-up below are that prompted them to replace my rear rotors? Or are the "drums" part of the rotor assembly? I see them mentioned as having been damaged but don't see them called out as being replaced. And does anyone know what/who DSM is?

Name:  ParkingBrake.jpg
Views: 3965
Size:  338.1 KB

Last edited by jphughan; 08-03-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:19 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Lastly, does anybody know what the "spreaders" mentioned in the write-up below are that prompted them to replace my rear rotors?
The spreaders are probably the components that extend out of the parking brake motor assy when it's being applied. Being jammed would imply they weren't retracting when the motor attempted to retract them. On a hydraulic drum brake these are the same parts that extend out of the hydraulic slave cylinder when the brakes are applied.

See the left end of item 6 below.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2016, 10:20 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by okie981
The spreaders are probably the components that extend out of the parking brake motor assy when it's being applied. Being jammed would imply they weren't retracting when the motor attempted to retract them. On a hydraulic drum brake these are the same parts that extend out of the hydraulic slave cylinder when the brakes are applied.
Thanks. So they generate friction through something incorporated into the rear rotor assembly then? I guess that explains why the rotors got replaced.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:21 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume the spring mechanisms that spread apart the drum brake pads for the e-brake.

To wit, the parking e-brake does not use disc hardware... it uses a drum around the brake rotor disk for the parking brake. So there is separate hardware for this. At least, in previous models... so I assume it is the same.

Yes, your modern Porsche has both disc and drum brakes.

If I had to guess, the ultimate culprit was heat... caused by the e-brake not fully disengaging on the rotor drum. This would fry many components in that area, and it looks commensurate with those very parts being replaced on the work order. What caused it to not fully disengage? Likely a physical malfunction of the drum brake pas spreader mechanism, not allowing a full release.

So, here's a theory... it would be possible for the emergency function of this brake to be engaged at speed, say on a track, by pushing with your knee. Now, many lights would come on with the dash, and then you would have to manually release it after engaged, so I am sure you would have realized if it happened.

But due to location of the switch, and being activated by pushing... I could see it happening eventually. But likely not what happened in your case.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:25 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Thanks. So they generate friction through something incorporated into the rear rotor assembly then? I guess that explains why the rotors got replaced.
They act like a miniature drum brake that operates inside the "hat" of the disc rotor assembly. So the hats were damaged, not the rotors, but since they aren't a 2 piece design, the entire rotor must be replaced.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:26 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

I'll be paying attention to mine to see if I hear a difference in the engage/disengage sound.....
Old 08-03-2016, 10:27 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by trebien
I assume the spring mechanisms that spread apart the drum brake pads for the e-brake.

To wit, the parking e-brake does not use disc hardware... it uses a drum around the brake rotor disk for the parking brake. So there is separate hardware for this. At least, in previous models... so I assume it is the same.

Yes, your modern Porsche has both disc and drum brakes.

If I had to guess, the ultimate culprit was heat... caused by the e-brake not fully disengaging on the rotor drum. This would fry many components in that area, and it looks commensurate with those very parts being replaced on the work order. What caused it to not fully disengage? Likely a physical malfunction of the drum brake pas spreader mechanism, not allowing a full release.

So, here's a theory... it would be possible for the emergency function of this brake to be engaged at speed, say on a track, by pushing with your knee. Now, many lights would come on with the dash, and then you would have to manually release it after engaged, so I am sure you would have realized if it happened.

But due to location of the switch, and being activated by pushing... I could see it happening eventually. But likely not what happened in your case.
Hmm, I hadn't considered that on-track engagement scenario, but now that you mention it, the knee area on a car that can generate heavy deceleration under braking does seem an imprudent location for the parking brake switch! But as you say, I'm fairly sure that isn't what happened. I suppose track usage could be the culprit, but I definitely never engaged the parking brake while there, and I would remember because I would have had an "Oh s**t!!" thought when I had to reach down to release the parking brake in the paddock or heard it disengage when I started driving.

But if the e-brake wasn't fully disengaging before, maybe my car will be much faster now!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Trust me, you would know. If it's anything like a Bmw, that will bring the car to an forced emergency stop.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:24 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

What was so bad about a handle and cable???

Not a fan of electronic e brakes.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:53 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
What was so bad about a handle and cable???

Not a fan of electronic e brakes.
That's what I've been asking myself! The only benefits I've been able to come up with are automatic disengagement when you drive off (but even the old version could flash lights and make noises about this), reduced footprint in the cabin, and I guess from the manufacturer's perspective an inability for customers to reasonably drift with the e-brake. But those just don't seem like significant benefits even at an identical cost to the legacy setup, never mind given the cost of 2 motors and a control unit!
Old 08-04-2016, 07:54 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

That's what I've been asking myself! The only benefits I've been able to come up with are automatic disengagement when you drive off (but even the old version could flash lights and make noises about this), reduced footprint in the cabin, and I guess from the manufacturer's perspective an inability for customers to reasonably drift with the e-brake. But those just don't seem like significant benefits even at an identical cost to the legacy setup, never mind given the cost of 2 motors and a control unit!
I've noticed sometimes the automatic disengage isn't so automatic and that's putting load on one side of this actuator and one spreader until it does disengage. At least twice when mine didn't auto-disengage it would've killed the engine had I not disengaged the clutch.

I agree, electric parking brakes are a downgrade from a cable operated hand brake.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:45 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

I have the same problem on my car....dealer has no clue on how to fix. Maybe you work document will give them a clue on where to start and what not to do.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:59 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I have the same problem on my car....dealer has no clue on how to fix. Maybe you work document will give them a clue on where to start and what not to do.
Well like I said, the document involved creating a PTEC (call to Porsche HQ) and then contacting DSM, whatever/whoever that is. First they replaced just the damaged hardware and the motor on the affected side, but it wouldn't calibrate at that point, so they worked on some other stuff and Porsche eventually told them to replace the second motor, which still didn't allow it to calibrate and finally they said to replace the control unit as well. At that point they'd replaced every part in this whole assembly.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:28 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Typical hack diagnostics. Today's automotive " technician ". Complicated useless garbage assemblies...
Old 08-04-2016, 09:16 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Well like I said, the document involved creating a PTEC (call to Porsche HQ) and then contacting DSM, whatever/whoever that is. First they replaced just the damaged hardware and the motor on the affected side, but it wouldn't calibrate at that point, so they worked on some other stuff and Porsche eventually told them to replace the second motor, which still didn't allow it to calibrate and finally they said to replace the control unit as well. At that point they'd replaced every part in this whole assembly.

I sent a copy of your warranty paperwork and have to take my car Monday....they plan to go straight to the module that controls the brake. Another user here in RL had a similar problem and it was the module. Of course they will also check the mechanical parts to make sure they are not damaged. Crossing my finger it will get solve and thank for posting the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking Brake Fault got me G-Force and Gear Shift (also, $4500 in parts...)