Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Thoughts on Merit Partners Harness Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 01:41 AM
sbarbour
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Merit Partners Harness Bar?

http://www.meritpartners.com/product/gt4-harness-bar-2/

Has anyone seen or used this bar? Intrigued with the minimal cutting/trimming, low profile, and zero impact on visibility.

Of course it doesn't offer any rollover protection, but what are your thoughts on it as simply a harness bar?
Old 08-01-2016, 04:07 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

I'm definitely interested...looks like a nice design. Definitely an option.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:23 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 204 Posts

Looks good. Does it include the carbon pieces? Any plans for a roll bar?
Old 08-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

I like the look and the idea of not cutting the carpet, but it seems expensive for what it is. The RSS is less than half of that price, but requires carpet cutting.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Klepper
I like the look and the idea of not cutting the carpet, but it seems expensive for what it is. The RSS is less than half of that price, but requires carpet cutting.
+1

If I understand their site correctly they are a reseller. Wonder how much the developer/manufacturer actually gets out of this?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Merit Partners
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Guys, thank you for all your comments. I can answer any questions about the bar. We paid a developer to design the bar for many of the reasons outlined. I wanted a bar that would be as minimally intrusive as possible so as not having to waste money replacing carpet and foam if I ever wanted to take the car back to stock. Also, I wanted to maintain as much rear visibility as possible while having a bar that would follow the contours of the car while not compromising functionality. This bar does all of that with the easiest installation of any bar I have worked with. I have had three GT4's now and do thousands of miles a year on the track and this bar simply works better for all the reasons outlined than any other bar out there. If someone is desirous of more rollover protection or structural rigidity, then you get more into half cages, which we have as well. However, for a simple and functional harness bar, this one is hard to beat.

The carbon pieces are separate btw, it does not come with those.

Also, for RL members, please mention that you saw it on RL and we will give you a 10% discount on the bar. I have been a member for many years and am very grateful for this site and the members I have met and their impact on our business. Please feel free to reach out with further questions.

Merit Partners
info@meritpartners.com

Old 08-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Any photos with a driver belted in?
This one could be the first with the harnesses correctly positioned!
Old 08-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Merit Partners
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Dr. Bill, let me get you some photos w/ a driver harnessed in.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:36 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sbarbour
Of course it doesn't offer any rollover protection, but what are your thoughts on it as simply a harness bar?
Talking with a few race shops, they will tell you that a half-cage does not really cut it for roll-over protection either. If you want true roll over protection, a full cage is the only way.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:22 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the bar and LOVE It. You can barely tell that its there.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:17 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Merritt

Looks like a nice option. I decided to go with the Heigo sold by FVD. I like that I can remove a cross member if traveling since it is a bolt in.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/91..._Included.html
Old 08-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I installed the bar and LOVE It. You can barely tell that its there.
Pics please!
Old 08-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bella1
Looks like a nice option. I decided to go with the Heigo sold by FVD. I like that I can remove a cross member if traveling since it is a bolt in.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/91..._Included.html
That one looks great, love the bolt-together brace concept. Though the bar looks like it's a bit too high for proper shoulder harness angles if you use a HANS...

Old 08-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Merit Partners
Guys, thank you for all your comments. I can answer any questions about the bar. We paid a developer to design the bar for many of the reasons outlined. I wanted a bar that would be as minimally intrusive as possible so as not having to waste money replacing carpet and foam if I ever wanted to take the car back to stock. Also, I wanted to maintain as much rear visibility as possible while having a bar that would follow the contours of the car while not compromising functionality. This bar does all of that with the easiest installation of any bar I have worked with. I have had three GT4's now and do thousands of miles a year on the track and this bar simply works better for all the reasons outlined than any other bar out there. If someone is desirous of more rollover protection or structural rigidity, then you get more into half cages, which we have as well. However, for a simple and functional harness bar, this one is hard to beat.

The carbon pieces are separate btw, it does not come with those.

Also, for RL members, please mention that you saw it on RL and we will give you a 10% discount on the bar. I have been a member for many years and am very grateful for this site and the members I have met and their impact on our business. Please feel free to reach out with further questions.
Do you include templates for cutting the OEM plastic panels that have the seat belt pass-throughs? Since you sell carbon versions, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to make some nice cardboard templates for placing over the OEM parts for those that don't want to install aftermarket carbon fiber parts. Thanks!

Also, is the "black" version of the bar gloss block (like the red shown on your website), or a satin finish?
Old 08-14-2016, 09:44 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Correct

Originally Posted by Mech33
That one looks great, love the bolt-together brace concept. Though the bar looks like it's a bit too high for proper shoulder harness angles if you use a HANS...

Agree with that point of which I am aware. The Merrit bar and others that go through the center carpet are positioned better for the proper angle. The LWB seat is adjustable for height and I am 5'10" so I think I can achieve close to the Zero angle.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Merit Partners Harness Bar?