Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:41 PM
JustACarGuy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT4 Sport Mode

So I was talking with my liaison at PEC Atlanta while doing laps on the track and he mentioned that, in addition to activating automatic rev matching and additional cooling, Sport Mode also "dumps a little more fuel into the injectors".

I didn't get a chance to follow-up with him on this, but I have his contact information and can reach out. Has anybody else heard this?

-Jason
Old 07-20-2016, 06:48 PM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If he really means changing the injector rate, or some other fuel parameter (A/F ratio) then Sport mode is the same as a different map. Since this is the first time a different map has been associated with Sport mode in the GT4 (not uncommon with other Porsche models) I am skeptical.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Perhaps true. One thing is for sure : when Sport Mode is activated you get far more pops and burbles on the overrun. That's usually done by dumping more fuel...
Old 07-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

If true, it would be safer in sport on the track.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:17 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JustACarGuy
So I was talking with my liaison at PEC Atlanta while doing laps on the track and he mentioned that, in addition to activating automatic rev matching and additional cooling, Sport Mode also "dumps a little more fuel into the injectors".
He's talking about the sport exhaust button. That's how you get the pops, crackles and burbles. This was discussed elsewhere on these forums.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:40 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I hate sport mode on track because I heal-toe myself. It's kind of annoying...
Old 07-20-2016, 07:51 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
It's interesting. I've recently watched a review on the new 718 Boxster with a manual transmission. The guy was saying that if you're in Sport Mode but disable the traction control,the car won't rev match for you anymore. Has anyone tried this scenario? I doubt it's true in GT4's case,but it's worth mentioning...
Old 07-20-2016, 10:42 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 267 Posts

You can still blip yourself and if you get it right the autoblip wont intrude and won't cause any extra jerking
Old 07-20-2016, 11:04 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It's interesting. I've recently watched a review on the new 718 Boxster with a manual transmission. The guy was saying that if you're in Sport Mode but disable the traction control,the car won't rev match for you anymore. Has anyone tried this scenario? I doubt it's true in GT4's case,but it's worth mentioning...
No, it will still rev match with all the nannies off in Sport.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:03 PM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend with GT4 who is a talented racer is annoyed by the rev-match feature also. But this is his beef: the auto blip engages when you select the next gear--as you enter the gear gate. But he rev matches when he leaves the previous gear-as he enters the neutral slot. Hence his match is a fraction of a second before the auto blip match--thus causing a real problem for him.
As for me, I never learned to rev match, so auto blip is just plain cool...
Old 07-21-2016, 12:32 PM
Radiantm3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrPhil Gandini
A friend with GT4 who is a talented racer is annoyed by the rev-match feature also. But this is his beef: the auto blip engages when you select the next gear--as you enter the gear gate. But he rev matches when he leaves the previous gear-as he enters the neutral slot. Hence his match is a fraction of a second before the auto blip match--thus causing a real problem for him.
As for me, I never learned to rev match, so auto blip is just plain cool...
He is exactly right. Same scenario for me. It blips a split second before me. The sport button is unusable for me regardless of what other benefits it may or may not have.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:03 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPhil Gandini
A friend with GT4 who is a talented racer is annoyed by the rev-match feature also.
I'm not sure how people can become annoyed about something that can be switched on or off*, at will. For instance, I dislike how harsh the suspension becomes on our bomb-cratered roads when in Sport mode. Consequently, I never turn that feature on when not at the track. Problem solved.

*In case someone in concerned that non-use of the Sport button might lead to overheating on the track, I doubt this will ever be an issue. The car will open all thermostats as soon as it's required in order to keep temps in the normal range.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Joegnsx
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

But it runs cooler in Sport Mode, so I think it's good all the time?
Old 07-22-2016, 10:00 PM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joegnsx
But it runs cooler in Sport Mode, so I think it's good all the time?
No, it's not, if you're just driving around town then it's better to run at the temperature with Sport off because thats the temperature the engine is designed to run at. If it was better to run the car at the lower temperature when driving around town then thats what it would run at.

Turning it on just forces the thermostat open earlier because it thinks that you're going to start driving the car hard, start actually driving the car hard and the car will do the exact same thing. This is why calling it 'additional cooling' is absolutely wrong, what it's best described as is 'running the engine outside the optimum temperature range for no good reason'.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:55 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by IMOA
'running the engine outside the optimum temperature range for no good reason'.
The optimum temp range for what: engine health or emissions/gas mileage?

Quick Reply: GT4 Sport Mode