Sponsored by: APR

Giro Discs for PCCBs

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:41 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts
Default Giro Discs for PCCBs

Rather than trashing a set of PCCB rotors on the track I looked at a couple of options.
1. Use the Suncoast Stock Calipers/Rotors/Pads kit.
2. Try a set of the new Giro Disc PCCB replacement iron rotors and pads.

I went with the Giro Disc option and keeping the yellow calipers. Clark at Apex provided the Giro Discs and Ferrodo Pads. I went with the 2500 pads as a dual purpose pad.

For the installation I also installed a set of Tarett caliper studs and their bracket stud kit. Both make the pad change much easier. I had taps on hand for any issue with interference with threading in the studs but I didn't need them. All of the studs went in without issue. I did need a little extra Loctite Blue which I had on hand.

Installation of pads has already been documented on here so I won't go into the details. For bedding in the pads I followed Ferrodo's suggestions.

I trialed the setup at Mid-Ohio with OVR. The discs/pads took a little more pressure than the PCCBs. Overall pedal feel/modulation was good and there was zero fade. After two days of running in the instructor group I was happy with the change. The rotors showed no signs of cracking and were fine on the way home. No squeal.

Checking out the pads for wear one issue did crop up. The pad backing plate looked like it was going to be very close to the rotor hat once the pad was at half depth. I called Clark and told him about my concerns along with sending a set of photos. Clark relayed the information to the Giro Disc personnel. As it turns out they found the same issue at the same time. The backing plate would barely rub the hat attachment tabs. I should note that I most likely received one of the first sets making their way into a customer's hands. The issue has been addressed by Giro Disc and they will make modifications to the hubs. For my set I just ground a bit of the backing plate on the two outside front pads. There is no issue with the rears. Giro Disc will send me a free set of hubs with my next set of rings. The rings will be in the $1000/axel range with hardware included. Cheaper than buying stock iron rotors and way cheaper than trashing a single PCCB rotor.

Finally a big thank you to Clark. I was on a tight schedule to get the brakes changed before the OVR event. When it didn't look like I was going to have time Clark expedited the shipment at no additional cost to me.
Attached Images    
Old 06-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Definitely an option for me once i start tracking my car.

Could you get a weight on each rotor vs. the ceramic? Also would be great to know the weight of the stock steels. I've read swapping in 410mm rotors are anchors compared to the stock 370mm... curious to know the weight difference.

Thanks bud!!
Old 06-20-2016, 02:48 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Great looking discs.

Shockwave - your car is too damn good looking to track (I thought you said )

In any case, PCCBs are ungodly on track.

YOLO
Worth every penny.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by laranja
Great looking discs.

Shockwave - your car is too damn good looking to track (I thought you said )

In any case, PCCBs are ungodly on track.

YOLO
Worth every penny.
She will be tracked... Not heavily however. Local guy has some private events planned that i plan on attending.

Im scheduled for an event next month and getting things ready.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:20 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Alan, why did you spend the money on the PCCB to then take them off?
Old 06-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I liked the yellow calipers. Seriously, the PO ordered them. I would not have ordered them.

The rear GD rotors are about the same as the factory iron rotors and the front GD rotors are about 3 lb heavier per rotor compared to factory iron rotors. Obviously much heavier than PCCBs.

I'm hoping a new set of ForgeLines will help reduce the overall weight.

Last edited by Alan C.; 06-23-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Edit
Old 06-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I liked the yellow calipers.😀 Seriously, the PO ordered them. I would not have ordered them.

The rear GD rotors are about the same as the factory iron rotors and the front GD rotors are about 3 lb heavier per rotor compared to factory iron rotors. Obviously much heavier than PCCBs.

I'm hoping a new set of ForgeLines will help reduce the overall weight.
Thanks for the info!!

Are u going to go with 19" Forgeline's? I know of a GT3 that was able to use 19" GA1R's behind Ceramics.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:48 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I thought about the 19s but ended up going with another set of 20s. I ran a set of 19s for a day at Mid-Ohio last month and a lot of rubber ended up on the calipers. It is a close fit.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I thought about the 19s but ended up going with another set of 20s. I ran a set of 19s for a day at Mid-Ohio last month and a lot of rubber ended up on the calipers. It is a close fit.
Great to know.

Which Forgelines?
Old 06-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

This time I'm going with ForgeLine GX3s. Gold centers with polished lips.

Quick Reply: Giro Discs for PCCBs