Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:09 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Just saying a "new record" is essentially for a different class if using a significantly faster tire. The various records should be probably categorized based on tire classes. If I put slicks on the GT4, I suspect that I could set a fastest time at my home track, but I wouldn't really count it as a new record.
If that's your logic then the only new records should be bone stock, off the showroom floor track times to keep things even. Almost everyone with a decent time has done some kind of mod. A harness probably gets you a second or two. Headers, tune, exhaust, throttle body, plenum, sticky tires and so much more are often done. Usually these are noted in the poster's time...and help others understand where gains can be made.

I think anything goes here, except Clubsport GT4.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
If that's your logic then the only new records should be bone stock, off the showroom floor track times to keep things even. Almost everyone with a decent time has done some kind of mod. A harness probably gets you a second or two. Headers, tune, exhaust, throttle body, plenum, sticky tires and so much more are often done. Usually these are noted in the poster's time...and help others understand where gains can be made.

I think anything goes here, except Clubsport GT4.
To me, the givens are alignment, playing with sway bars, playing with aero settings, and harnesses. I consider stickier tires and torque/power increases to put the car in a different category. But yes, when people post their mods, that can help others understand the differences the various mods make.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:59 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Just post all the times and include the mods - everyone is smart enough to know what a big deal Hoosiers are.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:07 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

For a while last year I had the best time at Watkins Glen with 18 heat cycle Hoosiers. .A very good driver with fresh Hoosiers beat me. Another good driver with Pirelli slicks beat him. It doesn't matter. We're all wired with a competitive gene and are having fun. Should we have age groups?
Old 10-20-2018, 11:18 AM
sportlife2012
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone looking to improve performance of their GT4 should give RS1 rennsport-one a call. They are based in Florida and have a great record of wining championships in the Cayman GT4 club-sport. When Justin at RS1 heard that I was trying to beat my Road Atlanta lap time record in a street GT4 of 1:32:5, we discussed and I decided to try out a set of brake pads that RS1 have specially developed for racing to compare with the the Ferodo DS 1.11, I was currently using. I was VERY VERY satisfied. During the tryout phase I was impressed with Justin's knowledge on set-up and modifications to increase performance. I'm assuming that the pads also fit a GT3, since the GT3 uses the same front brakes.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:12 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sportlife2012
Anyone looking to improve performance of their GT4 should give RS1 rennsport-one a call. They are based in Florida and have a great record of wining championships in the Cayman GT4 club-sport. When Justin at RS1 heard that I was trying to beat my Road Atlanta lap time record in a street GT4 of 1:32:5, we discussed and I decided to try out a set of brake pads that RS1 have specially developed for racing to compare with the the Ferodo DS 1.11, I was currently using. I was VERY VERY satisfied. During the tryout phase I was impressed with Justin's knowledge on set-up and modifications to increase performance. I'm assuming that the pads also fit a GT3, since the GT3 uses the same front brakes.
How do you feel the RS1 was better than the DS1.11 (Which I have been using)?
Old 10-20-2018, 02:16 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Great to have another pad option! Maybe I'll try it on my GT3.

...so did you set a new lap time? Now you have to state your pad type, your age, the weather, what you had for dinner the night before, etc to make it all equal. Hahah
Old 10-20-2018, 02:36 PM
sportlife2012
Rennlist Member

Default RS1

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
The RS 1 pads are definitely more durable. The Ferodo DS 1.11 must be a softer pad confirmed by the fact that is wears quicker. I think RS1 have got the compound well balanced between a pad that has good wear characteristics and great breaking.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:38 PM
sportlife2012
Rennlist Member

nope.........I'm saving the fast lap time performance to pass all GT3 4.0's
Old 10-20-2018, 03:37 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

nope.........I'm saving the fast lap time performance to pass all GT3 4.0's
Good luck with that!
Old 10-21-2018, 10:32 AM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

The RS 1 pads are definitely more durable. The Ferodo DS 1.11 must be a softer pad confirmed by the fact that is wears quicker. I think RS1 have got the compound well balanced between a pad that has good wear characteristics and great breaking.
We have developed numerous compounds specifically for the GT4 Platform and tailer fit our recommendations for each particular situation.
Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
We spent nearly a year developing 6 different compounds for the GT4 Chassis that would improve the balance of the platform throughout the whole corner. We would be happy to spec a package for you, just shoot us an email to info@rennsport-one.com

Our team is so confident that everyone will see an improvement in their current package that we will offer a 1 day use money back guarantee on our pads. We focused drastically not only on initial bite ( which is a heavily used term on this forum ) but also on the modulation factory and release characteristics of the material.

It was a pleasure helping you. Im happy to share our race proven knowledge with the Rennlist community. Feel free to drop us a pm
Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM
Mylesd55
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit Point Lap Time

Summit Point lap 1:20.06. Same setup as last year. Alignment and suspension mods. Engine and transmission stock. Used up Hoosiers, six laps after fastest lap, cords were showing on drivers side outer edge F&R. No video.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:59 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Crossed another bucket list track off this weekend. A couple buddies and I drove up from Texas to VIR for the chin event. That track is everything everyone says and more. It's the most three dimensional track I've ever driven, and takes more courage IMO than the Glen (which a freaking scary track). The setting is the closest to the ideal man spa you can imagine (in the US that is). I got to sleep on top of the garages and could watch cars fly by at 140mph from my balcony! I really encourage everyone to drive it a some point!

As usual, when I'm learning a new track I start with street tires. This time anticipating rain (it didn't thankfully) I had a set of RE71rs on the stock 20" wheels, stock sizes (245/295). Car has a good alignment and the suspension bits needed for that. Temps were in my favor ~60F.

My PB on RE71s street tires - 2:04.67. Not great driving (as you can see) after about 30 laps of trying to learn courage. I did watch the virtual track walk by Peter Kraus and Ross Bently.

Next day PB on R7 HOHOs - 2:00.71. This was about 60laps into learning the track. A fellow could spend years really learning VIR, it has so much to figure out, and so much courage to find. I think could have shaved 1.5 secs off the street tire time with the additional speed I was finding up the hill and through T10. Still tons of time to be found, so I'll have something to look forward to next year.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:09 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Great Lap. Bill
Old 10-24-2018, 09:37 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
My PB on RE71s street tires - 2:04.67. Not great driving (as you can see) after about 30 laps of trying to learn courage. I did watch the virtual track walk by Peter Kraus and Ross Bently.

Next day PB on R7 HOHOs - 2:00.71. This was about 60 laps into learning the track. A fellow could spend years really learning VIR, it has so much to figure out, and so much courage to find. I think could have shaved 1.5 secs off the street tire time with the additional speed I was finding up the hill and through T10. Still tons of time to be found, so I'll have something to look forward to next year.
Good heavens that's fast! On the RE71 lap, one thing I noticed was your Vmin around oak tree. It looks like the video speed indicator might be lagging in time just a bit, but it says your Vmin was less than 30 mph. I don't believe it, given the speed you achieved on the back straight and the lap time! On the HOHOs Vmin was nearly 50 which is good and what I would expect on a fast lap.

VIR is my home track and I don't think I can ever get that fast around it! When you say "courage" what I think of is the uphill esses. When I was there last time for some reason I could not get beyond entering them at 110-115 max. The car just didn't feel right - hard to describe but it felt like a tight string, almost twitchy. On my fastest lap there, 2:10, I entered at ~125 mph which is close to where you were. The other places I lose time are on the straights - I do not push it 100% to the speeds you are seeing. I love the "g-out" at the bottom of the hill after T10!

I have a friend here in Raleigh with a guards red GT4 - I think he was there with Chin.

BTW: any engine/tune mods on your car? Do you know your suspension/camber settings?

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4