Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:57 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

OK, here is the video from one of my sessions at NJMP Thunderbolt yesterday.

Stock GT4 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires that are almost completely worn out. No mods, stock alignment as delivered.

Lap 1: 2:25.599
Lap 2: 1:31.997
Lap 3: 1:31.691
Lap 4: 1:32.216
Lap 5: 1:31.618
Lap 6: 1:32.287
Lap 7: 1:32.007
Lap 8: 1:31.935
Lap 9: 1:31.500 (fastest lap)

Apologies in advance for the lousy sound quality (I hooked up my external mic but for some reason the SmartyCam didn't use it) and also for not having any ECU data. This AIM setup is not nearly as intuitive as the barebones iPhone Harry's Lap Timer app. See some of my AIM questions here: https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...questions.html

It's also the first time I've uploaded anything to YouTube. Let me know if you have any questions

Last edited by johnsopa; 06-25-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:24 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't time myself, but a passenger timed me today at CotA on one lap during my first session of the day just using his stopwatch operated by hand. Turned in a 2:34, on Cup 2s with -2.5 F and -2.0 R through Tarett bits, Castrol SRF, everything else stock, and obviously a passenger. I'll take it.

Last edited by jphughan; 06-26-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:24 PM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Thunderhill 5 mile; cyclone + West bypass 6/17/16 3:14.21 Tires: MPSC2 Mods: Tarrett Toe Links, Guard 50/50 LSD, AASCO LWFW

Big props to orthojoe for a silly fast time and for helping me find another second in my last session after following for a few laps.
Chris how much chatter do you get from LWFW? Does it make sence upgrading it?
Old 06-26-2016, 02:34 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

Great thread, but I would say there Is One major track missing.
We (outside USA) in the EU dont know much about these tracks

But Nurburgring is a kind of world reference in terms of laptimes and all on the planet soner or later end up here anyway. All carmakers do the #who can **** the longer contest here# so why is it not on the list then. If SPA is on Nur must be on
Old 06-26-2016, 03:10 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by doba_s
Chris how much chatter do you get from LWFW? Does it make sence upgrading it?
It chatters a bit; similar to 997 RS.

Worth it? I'm mixed. If I had to do over probably not. It was easy to do when diff was out so I did it to try.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:28 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Nur93
Great thread, but I would say there Is One major track missing.
We (outside USA) in the EU dont know much about these tracks

But Nurburgring is a kind of world reference in terms of laptimes and all on the planet soner or later end up here anyway. All carmakers do the #who can **** the longer contest here# so why is it not on the list then. If SPA is on Nur must be on
Nur93, so true! Would you please submit for me to post your best Nurburgring lap time so that I will have your permission to post it to the list of Best Track times in a GT4. Will need the date, tires, and if any mods to the stock car.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:33 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnsopa
1:31.50 on New Jersey Motorsports Park Thunderbolt Track today.

Just started using an AIM Solo and SmartyCam today. Can't figure out why the track map isn't showing but here's the screenshot of the finish line and a few seconds after the lap finished.

The immediate feedback from the AIM Solo on whether you're faster or slower than your best lap is very valuable. Resulted in lots of fast (for me) laps today.

Bone stock GT4. MPSC2 with tread all gone.
Added to the Best Times list, nice driving John

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
First time at these tracks. Car is stock except for Endless brake pads.
Updated, thank you for submitting your times!

Originally Posted by jphughan
I don't time myself, but a passenger timed me today at CotA on one lap during my first session of the day just using his stopwatch operated by hand. Turned in a 2:34, on Cup 2s with -2.5 F and -2.0 R through Tarett bits, Castrol SRF, everything else stock, and obviously a passenger. I'll take it.
Updated, nice time with passenger!
Old 06-26-2016, 10:45 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightning (NJMP) 1:16.0. All stock. 2.5 degrees front camber, 1.5 rear. Pagid T3 pads, SRF fluid. Front tires badly worn in centers.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:20 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Sweet, my lap is accelerating btg start right from pit and its that year 2015 that will go to history as it was speed limit on long straight, flugplatz and SwedenX. All info on car is in description, but car is stock. Laptime 7.30 BTG

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Nur93, so true! Would you please submit for me to post your best Nurburgring lap time so that I will have your permission to post it to the list of Best Track times in a GT4. Will need the date, tires, and if any mods to the stock car.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:18 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry L
Lightning (NJMP) 1:16.0. All stock. 2.5 degrees front camber, 1.5 rear. Pagid T3 pads, SRF fluid. Front tires badly worn in centers.

Originally Posted by Nur93
Sweet, my lap is accelerating btg start right from pit and its that year 2015 that will go to history as it was speed limit on long straight, flugplatz and SwedenX. All info on car is in description, but car is stock. Laptime 7.30 BTG
Got it posted. Yes, that was wicked quick lap Nur93!
Old 06-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Thanks!

Was very keen on geting down there in GT4 this year and cut 3-5 seconds. Tracks is faster and more easy now when they made a new flugplatz section. But I go in M4 GTS later in sep instead. But damn I would Love to try GT4 with real propper camber setting( like not stock but with toe bars etc, that would be more fun and easy for sure)

For your info my car was stock on stock Michelin cup2 tire. Brake fluid was endless and RSL Yellow Pagid pads.

-2 front and 1-6 rear camber

Originally Posted by matttheboatman

Got it posted. Yes, that was wicked quick lap Nur93!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:03 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Tires on my car for laps at Nordschleife and Spa were MPSC2s.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:37 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Tires on my car for laps at Nordschleife and Spa were MPSC2s.
Ok, fixed it! It seems to be the consensus that the Dunlops are both slightly faster than the MPSC2s on the track (and faster to wear out too).
Old 06-27-2016, 06:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

To put some data out there for Summit Point, I heard that TPC Racing was seeing about 1:22 with pros driving the GT4 in stock form, and about 1:20 flat after modifying the setup of the car, including using their DSC controller.

For comparison, my best time in the 991 GT3 at Summit Point is about 1:20 flat, and TPC Racing did low 18s with a pro driver in their GT3, which has some mods to the setup and their DSC controller.

TPC has also told me that, to optimize the setup, the GT4 needs more adjustment (relative to stock form) than the GT3 does.

Once both cars are fairly optimized, the delta between the cars appears to be about 2 s at this track (not really a 'power track', IMO). That's substantial, but not huge when you consider that the lap times for a guy like me can vary by 2 s or more depending on how hard I'm pushing, condition of the tires, track temps, etc.

These lap times are all with the Cup 2 tires.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:28 AM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
To put some data out there for Summit Point, I heard that TPC Racing was seeing about 1:22 with pros driving the GT4 in stock form, and about 1:20 flat after modifying the setup of the car, including using their DSC controller.

For comparison, my best time in the 991 GT3 at Summit Point is about 1:20 flat, and TPC Racing did low 18s with a pro driver in their GT3, which has some mods to the setup and their DSC controller.

TPC has also told me that, to optimize the setup, the GT4 needs more adjustment (relative to stock form) than the GT3 does.

Once both cars are fairly optimized, the delta between the cars appears to be about 2 s at this track (not really a 'power track', IMO). That's substantial, but not huge when you consider that the lap times for a guy like me can vary by 2 s or more depending on how hard I'm pushing, condition of the tires, track temps, etc.

These lap times are all with the Cup 2 tires.
+1

We have found the GT3 to be an amazing track set up from the factory. Porsche really outdid themselves on this one. As much as we'd love to sell a bunch of parts for such a great track car, as of now our biggest recommendation is a set of the side muffler bypass pipes to reduce that weight and heat from the rear tires. We do have a set that retains the factory valve for sound control and the flex joint for durability/reliability. Then, of course, the DSC Sport V2 controller really helps fine tune the damping, and you can always tune to your liking.

As far as the GT4 is concerned, when Randy Pobst was putting down the 1:20s at Summit Point (bear in mind these were unofficial hand times), the car was still mostly stock. It featured our Stage 2 suspension package for the GT4, which consists of our just-released TPC Racing Offset Toe Rods, DSC Sport V2 Controller, and our proprietary alignment specs intended for use with the toe rods and controller. You can find more about how we developed this package here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9404...acing-gt4.html

Email: info@tpcracing.com
Phone: (410)799-7223
Facebook | Youtube
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2021 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2006 Grand Am Rolex 24hr of Daytona GT Winner

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4