Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Gear shift assist and g-meter without SC (USA)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 05:22 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

Wow such distaste for enabling what is effectively a free option.

I look at it this way: when offered it as an option for substantial money, I passed. When people realized it could be enabled for free or a nominal cost, I said sure! I typically shift by sound but even on my gt3, seeing that little orange cone in the dash in my peripheral vision helped. I assume the big red blob in my peripheral vision will do the same thing.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:09 AM
electronspeeder
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Wow such distaste for enabling what is effectively a free option.

I look at it this way: when offered it as an option for substantial money, I passed. When people realized it could be enabled for free or a nominal cost, I said sure! I typically shift by sound but even on my gt3, seeing that little orange cone in the dash in my peripheral vision helped. I assume the big red blob in my peripheral vision will do the same thing.
Does anyone know if you can enable the Porsche app in the same way? Does sport chrono add any hardware took enable the track functions, or is it software limiting only?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:24 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
How many of you guys actually find this useful? I don't feel comfortable looking down at it first of all and to me it's no better then watching the tach. I've gotten to the point where I'm shifting more by feel between the sound of the motor and the rate of acceleration. When I look at my track videos it appears I'm reasonably consistent without it.
Totally useless, IMHO, on the track. I wanted it done just. Because. Racecar. And. Looks. Cool.

(As mooty would say)

And, actually, the g-meter data is bogus. Below is a pic from my track day at NJMP. Wow! 1.62 g's, I'm an awesome driver.

Oh, wait, after I check the data from my AiM Solo, here are the actual min and max g forces.

The first line is g forces calculated from GPS (pretty useless and laggy, IMHO).

The second arrow is g calculated from the AiM Solo DL.

The third arrow is g as received from the GT4 CAN bus. You'd think this would match what the dash board g meter shows, but it doesn't.

Maybe I should ask for a refund for the Sport Chrono g meter.

Oh, wait, I didn't pay anything for it other than the $99 labor to have the tech code it in PWIS.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:03 PM
stingray84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the end of day, it's just a toy. Why not make it a fancier toy for free regardless of its usefulness.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Same configuration here but Jake at Dealership could not program mine
Any hints?

You know what is strange is that my cig lighter is always avaiilable as a charging port for my CTEK - it does not get switched off.
My wiring is perhaps a bit different?
Originally Posted by seapar
No Sports chrono; Have PCM

included receipt. Hope this helps. Had to reset personalized features and reset clock afterwards; frunk was open for the service FWIW
Good Luck.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 PM
cjd163
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reviving this thread, anyone have any guidance I can give to my service adviser on this? I asked to have this done on my '14 991 C2 but he was not familiar with the procedure and did not get it done for me. Also, I notice some of you are in the Bay Area as am I. Can you share where / who did the job for you over PM if comfortable? Many thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Gear shift assist and g-meter without SC (USA)