Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Gear shift assist and g-meter without SC (USA)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 10:37 AM
KareemGT4
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first my dealer said they would try & charge 1 hour of labor..

then they said the codes are locked by PORSCHE and they can't do it.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:45 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by KareemGT4
first my dealer said they would try & charge 1 hour of labor..

then they said the codes are locked by PORSCHE and they can't do it.

*cough*Bull$h*t*cough*
Old 07-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Yofayez
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray84
Gear shift assist and g-meter function are not included if you don't have SC. There are folks who got those enabled at dealer after delivery. But I'm always under the impression that is for ROW and in the USA these can't be enabled.

Appearantly I was wrong. I took my car to the dealer recently to reset a service reminder. They couldn't reset the reminder through the regular reset method so they went the far route to reset the entire system. I suppose that might have been an ECU reflash. When I got my car back, I noticed both options are now enabled.

Can you take a photo of the G Force meter and GSA while showing that you don't have Chrono Packg?
Old 07-14-2016, 02:48 AM
stingray84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:00 AM
Yofayez
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray84
Here you go. Good luck!

Oh ya. Thanks
Old 07-14-2016, 11:02 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

I just had mine done yesterday. Have the tech code the car for sport Chrono. It will generate some errors. Then clear errors using PIWIS. Then everything should be fine.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:45 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

How many of you guys actually find this useful? I don't feel comfortable looking down at it first of all and to me it's no better then watching the tach. I've gotten to the point where I'm shifting more by feel between the sound of the motor and the rate of acceleration. When I look at my track videos it appears I'm reasonably consistent without it.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:24 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
How many of you guys actually find this useful? I don't feel comfortable looking down at it first of all and to me it's no better then watching the tach. I've gotten to the point where I'm shifting more by feel between the sound of the motor and the rate of acceleration. When I look at my track videos it appears I'm reasonably consistent without it.
I thought the biggest benefit of this was the autoblip downshift feature? Not so much for the shift light.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:37 PM
e46mike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just want it to look cool.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:08 PM
electronspeeder
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemessi
I thought the biggest benefit of this was the autoblip downshift feature? Not so much for the shift light.
All GT4s have the auto-blip downshift feature.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:03 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found it a bit useful to remind myself what gear I am in before "not money shifting". The lights do not help. Shifting by sound is better.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:21 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's exactly what I've been saying. Shifting by sound is pretty easy and I can't see the LCD display being THAT much easier to see than a quick glance directly downward to the tach. And as for the G-force display, if that's doing something exciting, your eyes had better be on the road. But I guess there are just a lot of techy completionists out there who want the feature just because it's there and at least sometimes free to get. I've actually ended up turning off every display except Vehicle, Map, and TPMS because those were the only 3 I ever used anyway (the Directions view still pops up automatically when route guidance is enabled and a turn is coming up), and that way I get one-click toggling between temps and tire pressures on track.

Originally Posted by mikemessi
Auto-blip is toggled via the Sport button, which is standard on all GT4s. There was speculation that Sport Chrono was required to get dynamic transmission mounts (fueled by language on the configurator and conflicting information in Porsche's own various documentation), but those have been confirmed as standard as well by people without Sport Chrono putting their cars up on lifts.

Originally Posted by seapar
I have found it a bit useful to remind myself what gear I am in before "not money shifting". The lights do not help. Shifting by sound is better.
There's a gear display in the tach for that purpose, but how does knowing what gear you're in help avoid a money shift? If you want to upshift, you need to either pull straight down or push upwards and to the right. If you're not sure you CAN safely downshift at your current speed, then you need to know your revs (or your speed if you know your gearing), not your current gear. But honestly I've never found myself unsure of what gear I'm in under potential money shift conditions. To be at risk of a money shift while currently being in 2nd-4th, the gearing requires me to be in the 4500-6000 RPM range, depending on gear -- let's say 5500 RPM for the sake of discussion. Right off the bat, differentiating 1/3/5 from 2/4/6 is trivial because the lever is either up or down. You can't money shift upwards from 3rd or downwards from 2nd, for example. And once you've narrowed it down to the appropriate half of the possible gears, the speed difference between gears should be plenty. 5500 RPM in 1st is ~35 MPH and in 3rd is ~78 MPH -- those are easily differentiated. And 5500 RPM in 2nd is ~56 and in 4th is ~97. Again, easily differentiated. Those gaps get even wider higher in the rev range. So what's the problem?

Last edited by jphughan; 07-14-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:56 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

Had it on a 15 981CS it's in my opinion a joke. Carl
Old 07-14-2016, 11:01 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

It's useless. However, those individuals on this forum who wanted to know how best to close the trunk to minimize fingerprints may find it useful. I'm not kidding...there is a thread on how to close the trunk.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:58 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
I was kidding about the money shifting. Nice to read about the analytics about rpm and gearing though. I usually have the tpms on when I drive.

Quick Reply: Gear shift assist and g-meter without SC (USA)