Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

European Delivery & Track Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:22 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lovely car Lar! What a great car-guy adventure. Eat some schnitzel and sausages for me will you? haha
Old 06-08-2016, 02:08 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Savy! With an avatar like that, I'm going to start calling you Darth Vader. Your new ride is all business.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:18 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
...The ED section isn't that busy, but I'm guessing not many of you are even aware of it. I've already got the thread going.
Thanks for the heads up, very cool forum area. It's the dreams come true section.
I guess I've been too busy searching through the 964 DIY threads. Love all the happy, passionate stories.
Love the Ring shot!
Old 06-16-2016, 04:49 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Just a quick update:

I spent about 10 days at Nürburg. I did Touristenfarhten the Saturday (in the rain!) and Sunday upon my arrival. Then evenings during the week. I did the Porsche Sport Driving School, with the first day on the GP track and the second day on the Nordschleife. In all, about 60 laps of the Green Hell. I have to say, it takes a tremendous amount of courage to go flat out around all the blind corners and crests. Especially during Touristenfarhten! I'm happy to report I never encountered a tour bus or a van. But I did see a DHL van lapping as I sat watching from my balcony one evening. My last day I did a track day with trackdays.de. It was about as low-key and informal as you could imagine. The downside was that the talent and experience wasn't that much better than Touristenfarhten, so I didn't set any personal bests. It was also pretty wet all day, which certainly didn't help.

I just completed two days at Spa, running with RSR. Wow! What a great experience! RSR really pulls out all the stops. More than enough food, drinks, and at the last hour, wine and cheese.

I did the track walk both mornings. We only stopped at 2 corners, but I got a lot out of it. Ron Simons is quite a character too. And you know you're not in the USA, as his jokes and comments might have offended some. I had 4 hours of instruction to start, then I was on my own. I went quicker and quicker each session (well, I did during the dry runs!) and was thrilled to leave with the car intact. Someone in a new RS wasn't so lucky, putting it into the wall at the exit of La Source.

Spa was soooooooo very good! I'll be back!

For now, my track days are complete. I'm off to Paris to pickup a friend. Then we are off to see the race at Le Mans. We'll do some touring around north western France before flying home.

Last edited by 24Chromium; 02-19-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:15 PM
gt9729b
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds awesome. Admittedly, I haven't followed and won't follow your thread in the Euro Delivery forum out of pure jealousy. That wasn't available for me as an option when mine came through so I'll have to live vicariously through you. You're doing exactly what we'd all love to do. ...or at least me, anyway. Have a great time... and please continue to rub it in.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

It's painful to look at my delivery photos now. My car is so dirty, it's hard to imagine it ever looking like new again. At the 'Ring they use some strange oil dry substance. I don't know what it is, but I do know it won't come off.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:13 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

The adventure is now complete. The car is intact. The driver retains his ego. Alles ist gut!

Please take a moment to check out my entries in the European Delivery Forum.

Name:  IMG_7212.jpg
Views: 3532
Size:  1.36 MB

On the 'Ring with my awesome instructor Lars
Old 01-27-2018, 01:08 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

It's been quite a while since I've been active on Rennlist, but I thought it the perfect time to resurrect this thread and take you along a journey!
Old 01-27-2018, 01:22 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Default Racing Addiction

I used to own a 2007 GT3 Cup car. I raced it in PCA Club Racing. I absolutely loved the car and the racing. Having said that, it was honestly more than I could afford. After 3 seasons of replacing seemingly everything on the car, both the engine and sequential transmission were in need of a rebuild. Reluctantly, I chose to sell the car instead of sinking $40k ~ $80k into it. It was about $10k/race weekend to campaign the car in order to be competitive enough to challenging for the overall win.

Rennsport Reunion V, Laguna Seca 2015

Rennsport Reunion V, Laguna Seca 2015

​​​​​​​

Last edited by 24Chromium; 02-19-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:14 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Default A Year of Education

Getting coaching from a Carrera Cup racer

Hurley is GOD. And Kai B is a very nice gent!

I spent all of 2016 in pursuit of learning how to be a better, faster driver. I began the year in Finland attending the Porsche school held there each Jan/Feb and learned to wheel a 911 on the ice and snow. I was taught how to perform a rally flick.

Then in the spring I flew to Birmingham, AL for the Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber. It's such a great course and the circuit is very fun and challenging, so I went once more!

At this point the bucket-list stuff began in earnest - the mighty Nürburgring Nordschleife in Germany and the fearsome Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium! I spent the majority of that summer in Europe, consisting of 2 Porsche Sport Driving Schools, a few private instruction days, a few track days and nearly every day of Touristenfahrten I could manage. I even managed to attend the 24 Hours of Le Mans as well.

The biggest epiphany for me was braking. At Barber, during the 2nd class I attended, they did a personal data review of your best lap versus the instructor. There are two very tricky sections at Barber. I had thought I was driving the car properly through those sections. However, when the instructor data was overlaid with mine, I was gobsmacked at how much speed the instructor carried, versus mine. And he didn’t apply any throttle in the middle, as I was. The biggest difference was how the instructor used trailbraking thru those sections in order to keep the momentum as high as possible.

At the Nürburgring GP circuit in Germany, there is a fantastic training facility. It was there where I got to really work on perfecting my trailbraking technique and finally began to master it.

Last edited by 24Chromium; 02-19-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:38 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is awesome, congrats
Old 01-30-2018, 12:16 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Default Porsche Announces the GT4 Clubsport

I began to hear whispers and rumors of the GT4 Clupsport. It all sounded too good to be true! A factory-built race car, just like the legendary Cup car, but at an entry-level purchase price and low running costs so as to appeal to the club racing community. We all speculated at what the base cost would be. Excitement was high and I knew this would be the next phase of my racing career. However, the bubble burst when Porsche officially announced the car. The base price was far more than I had speculated. Adding insult to injury, Porsche required the buyer to show proof that you had paid for 2 years of the newly announced PCA Club Racing Trophy East series (a bespoke one-make series just for the GT4 Clubsport), or one full season of IMSA, Conti, PWC. Living on the west coast, that meant every Trophy East race was a fly-away race. I was trying to reduce my costs, not increase them! Buying a new race car suddenly seemed out of the question.

As I began to pour over the specs of the new race car, I started to warm to the thought of a DIY project using the GT4 street car as the basis for the project. I did some mental math and figured it might actually be cheaper than the total buy-in for the Clubsport and 2 years of series entry fees and travel costs for fly-away races.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:49 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Default European Delivery

This really was a dream come true for a track junkie and Porschephile such as myself. It was the most magical summer I’ve ever spent in my entire life. From the thrill of delivery day, factory and museum tours, to driving flat-out on the Autobahn, to driving in anger on legendary racing circuits I’d only seen on TV, YouTube and video games, to attending the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I encourage you to read my posts of my adventures on the European Delivery forum here.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:06 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Default Street Car to Track Car

During an agonizing wait for my car to make the long ocean voyage from Germany, thru the Panama canal and finally up the west coast to California, I began to amass a cache of parts to begin the conversion from street car to track car. The only actual driving I did with the car was to drive it to the shop where it would begin its transformation. Much of the build is already documented on this forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9623...k-project.html), but here is a summary of what went into the build:

Interior:
* BBi Autosport GT4 roll bar
* Schroth Profi II harnesses
* Recaro Pro Hans XL (driver and passenger)
* GT4 Clubsport Steering Wheel
* GT4 Clubsport carbon fibre door panels
* GT4 Clubsport footrest & fuse box covers (driver and passenger)
* Rothsport quick release steering wheel hub
* Motec C125 dash/data logger with
* Motec V2 camera
* Custom carbon fibre center panel (replacing the PCM)

Engine/Transmission:
* Aasco lightweight flywheel
* Sachs Clutch Disc
* Sachs sport pressure plate
* Guards LSD

Suspension:
* JRZ 3-Way adjustable dampers
* BBi bumper steer kit
* BBi adjustable thrust arms F & R
* BBi adjustable thrust arm bushings F & R
* Tarett lower control arm inner spherical bearing (mono-ball) end kit F & R
* Tarett Engineering adjustable sway bar end links F & R