Sponsored by: APR

Did you put film on your headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 01:02 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan

Although I don't understand why everyone is so concerned about delamination during wrap removal. If it pertains to the inability to replace the film down the road when it looks bad, then as has already been said, your headlamp would look at least that bad had you left it unprotected for that amount of time, AND it would be yellowed/cloudy. The only concern I had was delamination caused DURING installation from having to pull the film back and reapply it, but as long as that goes well, I don't see a meaningful downside.
Again, a good point. But I can see quite a few reasons why folks would want to remove it. Folks redo PPF wraps all the time. Car gets power washed and an edge starts lifting, film gets pitted after use and folks redo it so it looks nice again. I got a nasty scratch on my left fender that only scratched the ppf, so had them redo that part only to look nice again.

Let's say I had that nasty scratch on my headlight and it only hurt the ppf, I might think, oh easy, just take the film off and replace it and the headlight will look good again.

If you have film on your lights you now just need to be aware it is not as simple as somewhere else on the car and that they will have to be SUPER careful removing it, or that you will rather just live with it, where if it was somewhere else on your car you simply would have replaced it.

Not saying it's not worth it (protection, cleaning etc), but just that IF you have to remove it for whatever reason, you need to be very aware and very careful and know that it might still happen.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:16 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I did not.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:00 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Although I don't understand why everyone is so concerned about delamination during wrap removal. If you're talking about being unable to remove and replace the wrap safely several years down the road when it looks bad, then as has already been said, your headlamp would look at least that bad had you left it unprotected for that amount of time, AND it would be yellowed/cloudy.
I believe the coating that delaminates (if it does) has the primary purpose of providing UV protection, and maybe a secondary purpose of providing some scratch protection, but the scratch protection is more of a guess on my part. The UV protection *should* prevent any yellowing or clouding over time, or at least significantly reduce it.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:04 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
I believe the coating that delaminates (if it does) has the primary purpose of providing UV protection, and maybe a secondary purpose of providing some scratch protection, but the scratch protection is more of a guess on my part. The UV protection *should* prevent any yellowing or clouding over time, or at least significantly reduce it.
The coating is indeed intended to help with UV (and clear bra deliberately doesn't to avoid interfering with natural paint fade that would also occur on unprotected panels), but UV isn't the only cause of yellowing and clouding. It can also be caused by oxidation from simple exposure to the air, which PPF would help mitigate. I suppose it's possible that the OEM coating helps with that too, and even if it doesn't, the extent to which PPF forestalls that natural process isn't totally clear yet since the UV coating is still relatively new for Porsche.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 93 Posts

My windscreen is hosed with pits after only 5 track days. I can only imagine how bad it would be for the headlights. Taping is fine for the occasional track day but gets tedious quickly. Decided to risk the wrap and hope for the best.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes, Suntek
Old 05-19-2016, 05:25 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 37 Posts

PPF scheduled for Saturday.

I decided to go with Clear Guard Nano for protection and will absolutely be covering the head lights.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:31 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Nope, didn't want to deal with delamination. For the track I just use two layers of blue painters tape. Have over 1k miles and no chips so far.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Nope, didn't want to deal with delamination. For the track I just use two layers of blue painters tape. Have over 1k miles and no chips so far.
My buddy has 5600 on his GT4 and his headlights have quite a few rock chips already.... GT4 head lights are just so big that it's a magnet for rocks/pebbles.

Huge influencing factor why i've decided to wrap the head lights.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:47 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smmmurf
May I please ask what the workaround is? An installer mentioned one case of GT3 delamination requiring a paint shop to buff off all the coating and clear the plastic.
I'm not a detailer or qualified PPF installer (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night) so take my layman's explanation with a grain of salt.

Two installers I talked to have dealt with delamination on GT3s. In both cases, they removed the PPF, polished the headlights, and then re-applied the PPF. Not that big a deal and since it's not even certain that delamination will occur, I felt much more comfortable with that scenario than I do with dealing with the pits, scratches and worse that I know are going to happen to these very expensive headlights driving on the sh*t roads here in S. CA (thanks Cal Trans!).
Old 05-19-2016, 07:50 PM
MrNurse
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was getting my car wrapped my installer said they'd give me a good deal to cover my headlights w Xpel so I was like sure. I definitely didn't care for it, but I got a good deal so I was like w/e. I was already spending thousands so what's an additional $____.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:13 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
My buddy has 5600 on his GT4 and his headlights have quite a few rock chips already.... GT4 head lights are just so big that it's a magnet for rocks/pebbles.

Huge influencing factor why i've decided to wrap the head lights.
Truth. The things are actually huge and bubble shaped and very exposed, i.e. not tucked into a grill.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:34 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Truth. The things are actually huge and bubble shaped and very exposed, i.e. not tucked into a grill.
If I were to do it again I would wrap the headlights. Mine have son many pits from only 550 miles. Surprised how bad they look already.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:22 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

I was planning on not wrapping due to the delamination fear, but my installer (Tim @ Adonis) felt very confident in covering it on a number of GT3s/GT4s.

The way I look at it, a pitted headlight will always bother me until it gets replaced.

My covered light looks great. In the event I need to remove the film 5-8 (?) years from now and they do delaminate, I can have them polished and recoated.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:26 AM
vinceau991TS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wrapped my 991 TS head lights with Suntek. During the the installation process I had to peel and reposition the film. Now that head light has delaminated.
I've repaired yellow/dull head lights on other vehicles in the past, I'll have to put that experience to repairing my 991 TS head lights. I have no regrets and sometimes it's just how it goes! I don't track my car but it doesn't take much for the head lights to become pitted pretty quick just from driving in the canyons staying on another car's ***!

Quick Reply: Did you put film on your headlights?