Sponsored by: APR

Did you put film on your headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I went w/ Xpelon my Gt3.

Right now my GT4 is having Xpel put on the whole front of the car. I decided against putting film on the headlights for the time being. Reason is I do not track the car and never had any nicks on the headlights. So - after my first nick I will then probably put the film on. The detailer has no problem installing but did convey they have had some issues with the headlights casting like a shadow/fog on the headlights after 8 months. Do I buy that - no because I had the film on my GT3 with no issues
Old 05-18-2016, 04:56 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^ How do we get you to track, Jimmy? Have you considered just attending as a spectator to catch rides with instructors? It's usually free or very inexpensive.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I need to do that. The problem aside form working like every one else I also love to Golf and have a 6.5 year old Son that keeps me busy. I usuallu get time on Sat/Sun mornings to enjoy my car for a couple hours. It just relieves a lot of stress and helps justify why to work hard other than support my Family. Do not get me wrong - we do fine but more time is always what we all fight for.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:20 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Yes SunTek
Old 05-18-2016, 11:13 PM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Xpel. I did not based on my installers research and recommendation. I did do the ceramic 9H coating.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:41 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

I was back in to the xpel guys for a bumper panel replacement (stock cutouts lift away from couple places) . They would not do the headlights, even when I pressed. He said they have had too many problems removing it.

They did do the running lights, but it was already too late after 3K miles.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:44 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

As some of you have seen on another thread I lost both my headlights last weekend when they blew off on the track after a detailer did not properly install them.

Well, here's the rest of the story: They were at the detailer for being polished and restored after they delaminated due to protective film.

I did not wrap them originally with the rest of the car and they started getting pitted. I went to Xpel and asked them about it. They, or the salesman I talked to, assured me that there is no issue and that all the warnings on the internet are BS. Well, I still hesitated. At that point the salesman told me that they have a product called Tracwrap which is a temporary film that you can put on your car and lights during track use. It is easier than painters tape, looks better and protects better. They also told me that the adhesive is much less than on their regular film as it is supposed to be for temporary use. I ended up buying it. Low and behold, first track weekend I put them on they worked beautifully; however, when I peeled it off on Monday after the weekend, guess what? Half my bloody left headlight delaminated and significant delamination on my right light.

That is what led my lights to the detailer who tried to fix it that eventually led me to losing both headlights.

So, first of all, do NOT ever put this on your headlights:

http://www.xpel.com/tracwrap/

and, second, I don't care what they tell me, there is no way I am putting a film with an even stronger adhesive on my new lights once they come in, unless Xpel, in writing, guarantees me that they will, in full, replace my headlights for the slightest delimitation caused by the removal of their film.

My 2c...
Old 05-19-2016, 12:05 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
As some of you have seen on another thread I lost both my headlights last weekend when they blew off on the track after a detailer did not properly install them.

Well, here's the rest of the story: They were at the detailer for being polished and restored after they delaminated due to protective film.

I did not wrap them originally with the rest of the car and they started getting pitted. I went to Xpel and asked them about it. They, or the salesman I talked to, assured me that there is no issue and that all the warnings on the internet are BS. Well, I still hesitated. At that point the salesman told me that they have a product called Tracwrap which is a temporary film that you can put on your car and lights during track use. It is easier than painters tape, looks better and protects better. They also told me that the adhesive is much less than on their regular film as it is supposed to be for temporary use. I ended up buying it. Low and behold, first track weekend I put them on they worked beautifully; however, when I peeled it off on Monday after the weekend, guess what? Half my bloody left headlight delaminated and significant delamination on my right light.

That is what led my lights to the detailer who tried to fix it that eventually led me to losing both headlights.

and, second, I don't care what they tell me, there is no way I am putting a film with an even stronger adhesive on my new lights once they come in, unless Xpel, in writing, guarantees me that they will, in full, replace my headlights for the slightest delimitation caused by the removal of their film.

My 2c...
Anyone who tells you your 981 headlights will never delaminate when PPF is removed from them is ignorant or being dishonest. I have it installed on mine (Suntek) and am willing to take whatever future risk that involves.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:28 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by okie981
Anyone who tells you your 981 headlights will never delaminate when PPF is removed from them is ignorant or being dishonest. I have it installed on mine (Suntek) and am willing to take whatever future risk that involves.
You are right, I said it in a sort of sardonic way, as I know they would not guarantee it. You are also right that if you do it, there are the obvious benefits as well as accepting the risk of delimitation.

Folks just need to be fully informed of the mess actual delimitation causes. It looks like crap and is a complete mess to try and fix. It took the detailer two full days of extensive sanding and polishing to get the remaining oem lamination off - that sucker is HARD to get off and then get polished smooth again. There are a few youtube videos that explain the mess and process.

I guess it's a good case of buyer beware and proceed with caution.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:33 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

As some of you have seen on another thread I lost both my headlights last weekend when they blew off on the track after a detailer did not properly install them. Well, here's the rest of the story: They were at the detailer for being polished and restored after they delaminated due to protective film. I did not wrap them originally with the rest of the car and they started getting pitted. I went to Xpel and asked them about it. They, or the salesman I talked to, assured me that there is no issue and that all the warnings on the internet are BS. Well, I still hesitated. At that point the salesman told me that they have a product called Tracwrap which is a temporary film that you can put on your car and lights during track use. It is easier than painters tape, looks better and protects better. They also told me that the adhesive is much less than on their regular film as it is supposed to be for temporary use. I ended up buying it. Low and behold, first track weekend I put them on they worked beautifully; however, when I peeled it off on Monday after the weekend, guess what? Half my bloody left headlight delaminated and significant delamination on my right light. That is what led my lights to the detailer who tried to fix it that eventually led me to losing both headlights. So, first of all, do NOT ever put this on your headlights: http://www.xpel.com/tracwrap/ and, second, I don't care what they tell me, there is no way I am putting a film with an even stronger adhesive on my new lights once they come in, unless Xpel, in writing, guarantees me that they will, in full, replace my headlights for the slightest delimitation caused by the removal of their film. My 2c...
Great post! Thanks for the explanation. It reassures me I've made the right decision.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:34 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,209 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Supposedly steaming will help minimize the risk of delamination.

I'm not worried about it. If the wrap sustains enough damage to require replacement, a naked light would have looked far worse and been much harder to fix or expensive to repair than polishing out any possible delamination. As it is, the Xpel makes it easy to clean the headlight lens without scratches and swirls.

My 0.02
Old 05-19-2016, 12:38 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by rk-d
Supposedly steaming will help minimize the risk of delamination.

I'm not worried about it. If the wrap sustains enough damage to require replacement, a naked light would have looked far worse and been much harder to fix or expensive to repair than polishing out any possible delamination. As it is, the Xpel makes it easy to clean the headlight lens without scratches and swirls.

My 0.02
Good point.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:42 AM
coldfire
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 44 Posts

I have XPEL Ultimate on my headlights. I don't plan on taking the film off for many years, so I don't mind the risk (it'd be a risk too without the film). No issue I can see after the install.

Question: does anyone have a picture of what delamination actually looks like? Couldn't find any doing a quick Google search.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:50 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by coldfire
Question: does anyone have a picture of what delamination actually looks like? Couldn't find any doing a quick Google search.
I unfortunately did not take any pics (should have), but when I first peeled off the wrap I though, wow, it left a lot of glue residue behind that I need to clean up. Sort of what it looks like when you peel a sticker off glass and part of the glue remains on the glass. It was when I looked closer to clean it off, that I realized it was not remaining glue residue, but actual pieces of my oem laminate that got peeled off and the "glue residue" was what was remaining of it.

Not sure if it makes sense or not.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:50 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

At that point the salesman told me that they have a product called Tracwrap which is a temporary film that you can put on your car and lights during track use. It is easier than painters tape, looks better and protects better. They also told me that the adhesive is much less than on their regular film as it is supposed to be for temporary use. I ended up buying it. Low and behold, first track weekend I put them on they worked beautifully; however, when I peeled it off on Monday after the weekend, guess what? Half my bloody left headlight delaminated and significant delamination on my right light.

My 2c...
Good to know, since Tracwrap was the only option I was considering instead of full PPF before I decided to go the PPF route!

Although I don't understand why everyone is so concerned about delamination during wrap removal. If you're talking about being unable to remove and replace the wrap safely several years down the road when it looks bad, then as has already been said, your headlamp would look at least that bad had you left it unprotected for that amount of time, AND it would be yellowed/cloudy. The only concern I had was delamination caused DURING installation from having to pull the film back and reapply it, but as long as that goes well, I don't see a meaningful downside.

Quick Reply: Did you put film on your headlights?