Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you! I will be calling today.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:05 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Without CATs you can trigger CELs as well as have problems with Smog testing and Sound testing (depending on where you live).

I think the thing to pay attention to though, is how a particular set of headers can influence the power/torque delivery of your car. Most of the manufacturers are only talking about peak gains. +X hp, +Y lb/ft. They are not (currently) providing any dyno charts for their headers. But a dyno chart can tell you more about what the overall change will feel like, and in some cases this may not be what you want.

Take this dyno chart from Fabspeed sports headers as an example (not picking on fabspeed, but they are the only manufacturer providing dyno charts for their headers for which I applaud them):

You can see that these headers add peak 10 hp and only a couple of lb/foot of torque. But where it gets interesting is that at 3600 rpm you get about +40 lb/foot of torque. That's a 17% boost in that low/mid range.

Great, but. Move along to 4000 rpm and the torque has dropped below stock. So its reduced the magnitude of the torque dip and pushed it higher up the rev range. This may be a compromise you are willing to make - overall the area under the curve is larger. But if you spend all your time higher up the rev range then this may not be desirable.

As another example, look what happens at about 4800 rpms. Almost 20 lb/ft higher than stock, but watch it dip to around the same level as stock. Stock pretty much flattens out but doesn't really dip. So with the headers you will feel like you are "coming off the boil" a little at that point before going back up again. Overall the torque numbers are higher in this range, but you may not want that drop off feeling which you wouldn't get with the stock manifolds.

Given this car is all about feel, I think its important to understand how a certain set of headers can influence the feel - and that is more important than any peak gains. My 2 cents.

For the record, my car is for the street, so I'm pretty excited about reducing that torque dip at 3600rpms, I just want to see what the other header solutions dyno charts look like as well.

If you go back to the post with the header pictures you can relate some of the above figures to the header design. The shorter primary tubes before they merge into a single one on the Fabspeed will result in the above scenario while if you have a longer path like the one on the Cargraphics it will spread the gains over a wider rpms range an hold it better.....this is for Sport headers as Race headers all have the longer path before the collector. IMHO The CGs have better flow characteristics (physical from a picture analysis) than all the other sport headers.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:46 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Great question...yes I have and I had planned this as a Plan C but it required drilling and adding an O2 bung to your stock PSE system. I actually ordered a pair and had them ready if the fix didn't work. I've used these things before. i think they last about 15 track days before you nuke them but they're cheap to replace. I found out about them because one Sunday i came up with what i thought was a brilliant idea to make a pseudo cat, but alas, someone had already come up with it.
CG could offer a bunged middle pipe that connects to the PSE after cutting off the stock middle pipe.
The stock middle pipe is mashed into an oval shape, and I'd like to have one that's less restrictive.
At this point to take advantage of the available CG middle pipe I'd have to replace the PSE with a CG exhaust.

Last edited by d00d; 10-28-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:59 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
If you go back to the post with the header pictures you can relate some of the above figures to the header design. The shorter primary tubes before they merge into a single one on the Fabspeed will result in the above scenario while if you have a longer path like the one on the Cargraphics it will spread the gains over a wider rpms range an hold it better.....this is for Sport headers as Race headers all have the longer path before the collector. IMHO The CGs have better flow characteristics (physical from a picture analysis) than all the other sport headers.
Did I miss where CG has a picture of their torque /hp gains vs stock, or is this just theory?
Old 05-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Dave C4S Cab
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Ladies and Gents,

I got as much as we could from Cargraphic in Germany. We need 10 parties and we have about 13 so therefore we can offer 10% off the "Race" Manifolds without cats and 15% off the "Sport" Manifolds WITH cats and an additional 50% off shipping in the lower 48. That puts you well below the price of other competing brands of race manifolds with a nice discount on the sport manifolds. Interested parties should call the shop and ask for Miguel so that we can take billing and credit card information because i would like to turn around and pay Cargraphic immediately so we can get parts in the queue and ready for shipment. The offer will run through Memorial Day 2016. If during the summer more GT4 owners want to participate then we will consider running the offer again.

Thanks for the positive support on this forum. We are lucky to have such faithful followers.
Just placed my order, can't wait
Old 05-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 199 Posts

Despite my protests to the contrary on not installing headers, my order with BGB and Miguel has been placed - RACE headers ordered and "ceramic" coating requested if possible. May the lord help me on this slippery slope. Thank you BGB, John, and Miguel!
Old 05-19-2016, 05:32 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,157 Posts

Sweet, I'm glad to hear that the group buy came together. I'll be calling BGB shortly.

Here's a picture of the race CG headers on my Cayman....

Name:  headers_zps9nfrejfv.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  398.5 KB
Old 05-19-2016, 06:25 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

I opted into the group buy as well. The headers will get here before my car.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:58 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
I opted into the group buy as well. The headers will get here before my car.
I too purchased parts for the car before it arrived. It's a disease that has no cure.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:58 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

All I can say is that is f'in complicated to tune headers....to take advantage of inertial and wave scavaging. Diameter, length, collector design, steps - all play a role. BMW is a master (when they are not using FI or worrying about US emissions). I used to think I could look at a header design and judge how good it is, but so much more CAN go into the design that I just look at dyno plots now. You can screw up any design if you just focus on one design parameter - like length. it's probably more important to know WHO designed them since it still seems like a dark art.

Article talks about F1, Nascar, MotoGP designs. Cool stuff - but now probably not so important with FI.
http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...technology.htm
Old 05-19-2016, 07:18 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,157 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
I too purchased parts for the car before it arrived. It's a disease that has no cure.
Yup, I'm like a heroin addict...modding is like the next high.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Did I miss where CG has a picture of their torque /hp gains vs stock, or is this just theory?
Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
All I can say is that is f'in complicated to tune headers....to take advantage of inertial and wave scavaging. Diameter, length, collector design, steps - all play a role. BMW is a master (when they are not using FI or worrying about US emissions). I used to think I could look at a header design and judge how good it is, but so much more CAN go into the design that I just look at dyno plots now. You can screw up any design if you just focus on one design parameter - like length. it's probably more important to know WHO designed them since it still seems like a dark art.

Article talks about F1, Nascar, MotoGP designs. Cool stuff - but now probably not so important with FI.
http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...technology.htm
thank you.. which is what I've been saying.. this whole "long tube headers" thing may all be accurate, but I wish there was info and a full dyno graph vs stock to show these vs shorter configurations etc. Seems like bandwagons form on this forum and everyone just jumps on without checkout out the data first.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:30 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

thank you.. which is what I've been saying.. this whole "long tube headers" thing may all be accurate, but I wish there was info and a full dyno graph vs stock to show these vs shorter configurations etc. Seems like bandwagons form on this forum and everyone just jumps on without checkout out the data first.

One thing is if you are playing with 1" increments before collector and things like that used for tuning the powerband and another is looking at the whole picture of the design of the header. So far GMG, CG and FVD (M&M) have similar designs placing the collector right at the entry of the cats. The Fabspeed is the only one deviating from this design, which IMO will have it Pros and Cons. Also to consider...why all race headers merge at the very end?

I do agree that a dyno chart would be a 1,000-times better but we don't have those so we have to guesstimate on what's available until someone can provide solid dyno data.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:40 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This is great to read! I thought I must have been missing something. How can these manufacturers put products into the market without providing the relevant data? During the development phase (you would hope) that many dyno runs were undertaken to help fine tune the product. How hard would it be to put the final dyno charts up on their website before they release the product for sale? Is there something they don't want people to see?

On the flip side, on what basis are people buying these products? How do they know which one is the best fit for them?

One thing is if you are playing with 1" increments before collector and things like that used for tuning the powerband and another is looking at the whole picture of the design of the header. So far GMG, CG and FVD (M&M) have similar designs placing the collector right at the entry of the cats. The Fabspeed is the only one deviating from this design, which IMO will have it Pros and Cons. Also to consider...why all race headers merge at the very end?

I do agree that a dyno chart would be a 1,000-times better but we don't have those so we have to guesstimate on what's available until someone can provide solid dyno data.
We have Fabspeed dynos, and we will have Dundon dynos at some point. I'm still holding out hope that FVD will provide dynos (I have sent 3 emails and 2 PMs requesting this). For GMG and Cargraphic I guess we can hope that a customer dynos their car before and after to show how these behave.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:34 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cargraphic Headers. Whose got em?