Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Transmission/transaxle oil type, quantity, DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 04:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
If you are a member on Planet 9 they have a PDF version you can download:

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/serv...r-removal.html

Direct link to download (you need to be signed in):
http://www.planet-9.com/downloads.ph...d=379&act=down
Yes, I am a P9 member, but the first link took me to an engine cover removal review and the second one gave an error.

Is there perhaps anything else you can suggest?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 05:00 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, I am a P9 member, but the first link took me to an engine cover removal review and the second one gave an error.

Is there perhaps anything else you can suggest?

Thanks!
I just walked through it myself. I think you are expecting it to just be there for you and it's a little deeper than that. Try this:

Click here:
http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/serv...r-removal.html

Scroll down about half way and you will see:
This article is in the form of a PDF file that can be found at the following link:

981 Cayman Engine Cover Removal PDF
(the blue text above is a link on the planet9 page...click it)

On the next screen look for the blue button that reads +Download
Old 05-11-2016, 05:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Was able to download, but I am thinking this is the wrong article for changing the transaxle oil, no? Talks about gaining access to the top of the motor through the rear luggage area. Unless I'm totally confused, I think the fill and drain plugs for the transmission should be accessible from under the car, no?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:07 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Holy hell, Porsche recommends changing the transmission fluid ever 15K miles!?!?

Is it just me or... is that kind of a lot???

I'm new to the manual transmission world (bought a manual S550 GT about 1.5 years ago), but I know my auto cars didn't need near that much care.
Porsche's official guidelines specify to change it every 120K miles, which seems ludicrously long to me -- although they also say that you can go 6000 track miles before changing the oil, which I have no intention of doing either. As I said in my first post, people who track their cars pretty consistently seem to change their transaxle oil every 10K miles (total, not track), which seems surprisingly short to me, but if the fluid is only $40 and the procedure is fairly straightforward, I guess it's not too bad. On my E9x M3, the guidelines were every 45K miles and I changed mine at 30K.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 134 Posts

On my first post I mentioned I used Redline. Redline NS was recommended by Guard, I was running a Guard LSD at that time. Redline was also the original fill when the LSD was installed by Bodymotion.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:22 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty certain Porsche doesn't expect you to ever change it (certainly not during the warranty period) and considers it a "lifetime" fluid (or perhaps change @ 108,000 miles) for street use.

Most people who bought a GT4 don't use it for street use ONLY...YMMV
Ah. Well even then, I thought Porsche seems to be aware of the fact that most GT customers track their cars at least occasionally. Plus... does doing HPDEs a few times a year really make a fluid go from lifetime durability to 15K mile durability???

EDIT:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Porsche's official guidelines specify to change it every 120K miles, which seems ludicrously long to me -- although they also say that you can go 6000 track miles before changing the oil, which I have no intention of doing either. As I said in my first post, people who track their cars pretty consistently seem to change their transaxle oil every 10K miles (total, not track), which seems surprisingly short to me, but if the fluid is only $40 and the procedure is fairly straightforward, I guess it's not too bad. On my E9x M3, the guidelines were every 45K miles and I changed mine at 30K.
Oh, suppose that makes sense.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:32 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
The guidelines from various folks are all over the place. I asked a lead tech at the dealership, a guy that race himself and knows a lot about track cars etc and he said that they typically recommend you cut the recommended Porsche interval in a third for a typical dual purpose car for most items. In this case it would be every 40k then. Still seems a lot.

But, I think you are right in that if it is cheap and simple, do as recommended on here, around every 10k total miles, or after around 6 track weekends...Mine just crossed 11k miles, so it is a nice reminder for me to get this done.

The interesting thing was that he told me to replace my spark plugs every 15k if I track the car as it operates at much higher rpm ranges than usual.

As another interesting reference, on my C7Z06 the manual stated to replace the diff oil after every 24hrs of track time. This equates to 48 30min sessions, or 12 DE days, or 6 DE weekends. Which is pretty much what is recommended by some on here.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:46 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by myBailey07
The interesting thing was that he told me to replace my spark plugs every 15k if I track the car as it operates at much higher rpm ranges than usual.
Interesting. Porsche spark plugs at least aren't anywhere near as expensive as the E9x M3 spark plugs that double as knock sensors. On that car the official interval is 37K, although my car ended up telling the techs to change them around 25K (and those who supercharge their cars are supposed to change them every 8K). Porsche's official guidelines say every 40K, so if I shorten it at all I'll just drop it to 20K along with the other items in the "intermediate service" guidelines. I've also read that on the 981 the spark plugs are kind of a pain to get to.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a diagram from the workshop manual showing the gearbox fill (1) and drain (2) plug locations (very close to rear axle line.) Tightening torque for each plug is 40NM (30 ft-lbs) and use new washer on each.
Attached Images  

Last edited by GrantG; 05-11-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:36 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

Added technique, remove the fill plug before the drain plug.
This protects against being stranded by a frozen fill plug and makes the drain more uniform.
Otherwise, sometimes it will splatter as air tries to enter as oil is flowing out.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:58 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A432
Added technique, remove the fill plug before the drain plug.
This protects against being stranded by a frozen fill plug and makes the drain more uniform.
Otherwise, sometimes it will splatter as air tries to enter as oil is flowing out.
Yep, good idea
Old 05-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for delay in reply Grant. I put a PDF up for download on my site to provide to all rather than just email to you

http://jlosee.com/images/porsche/981...rOilChange.pdf
Old 05-12-2016, 09:46 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Sorry for delay in reply Grant. I put a PDF up for download on my site to provide to all rather than just email to you

Beautiful, thank you!!
Old 05-12-2016, 11:36 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you!

FYI - I have used the pump pictured in your instructions on my 911 and it works great with one caveat. I think it's a good idea to break off the two prongs on the end of the filler tube as these tend to otherwise break on their own and it would be better not to have them swimming in the gearbox. Appreciate the instructions!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

deleted

Quick Reply: Transmission/transaxle oil type, quantity, DIY?