Sponsored by: APR

Just had my first GT4 track day at The Ridge! My Review. [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 04:47 PM
driveopolis
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just had my first GT4 track day at The Ridge! My Review. [VIDEO]

Just spent an entire day lapping The Ridge with Revscene / The Speed Syndicate. The event was well organized, structured and safe. We got plenty of track time. Enough for me to learn the track a little, give the GT4 some stick and evaluate its performance and feel. By the end of the day, I didn't want to go out any longer though the track was open. This is always a good sign.

The circuit was absolutely amazing. I had more fun here than I did at Laguna Seca. It is not the fastest by any means, and certainly not as fast as when I drove COTA but it is fast enough to be thrilling, has lots of devious elevation changes and crafted masterfully with rhythm and flow. It also hides many corner entries which makes fast lapping a game of both commitment and precision. It is easy on the brakes. Even though I got faster during the course of the day, I braked less and less. Apart from the very last corkscrew sector, it is a classy momentum track which rewards smoothness, commitment and the right line(s).

I actually learned a lot from the slower cars driven by the experience drivers (like a fellow Kevin in his Integra Type R) because those guys know how to conserve momentum and brake minimally. The Ridge is technical and challenging. Every session that I went out, I learned something on my own or learned something from following others and watching what they do well. I had a lot of fun chasing fellow Rennlister Herrick (zhenyang huang ) around in his Guards Red GT4! Even though he's got my nemesis color, Herrick is a great driver and showed me some fast lines in turn 1/2/3 sector. Driving with another well-driven GT4 was definitely the highlight of my day. Well done, Herrick and thanks for waiting for me!

My video review is above, please turn up the sound to get the full experience. I put some extra effort into getting a good exhaust recording without clipping. Hope you like it!

As for the GT4, it held up extremely well. I got zero brake fade. The tires did not roll over on their sides and the wear was exceedingly modest, despite some pretty solid sessions. Given how badly I've cooked stock BMW tires after even a brief track session, I would say that the GT4 basically just shrugged and didn't care. I can't reiterate just how awesome this is. The bucket seats are comfortable and supportive and way better than the normal sport seats. They are the best seats I've ever experienced. Best of all, after a full day of lapping, we drove for another 4 hours home in total comfort, me in my GT4 and my buddy in his 991 GT3. These cars are made for this. I feel so fortunate to have experienced my car in this way. I am in love with my GT4. Even more so than when I had my 997 GT3.

Hope you guys enjoyed my video! Who's tracked their cars so far? What were your experiences?

Any local WA guys here besides Herrick? Would love to meet some of you at a future one. The Ridge is awesome.

Sam

EDIT: An additional outtake video. No commentary, just a couple of my powerslides, a ton of exhaust noise and an edit of the drive bys.

Last edited by driveopolis; 05-13-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Halfshaft
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the video review. I'm local in greater Seattle area, would love to meet up sometime.
-Shawn
Old 05-10-2016, 05:39 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nicely done video. An unsolicited observation: You have a habit of shuffle-steering, which is usually followed by allowing the wheel to straighten by itself (i.e. letting it spin through semi-open palms). The resulting lack of fine control leads to the oversteer prevalent in several corners. I know you said you were hooning for the camera at times, but I thought I'd point it out, just in case.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:40 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm semi local (Currently stuck in Alberta but should be back to Van by the fall) and take delivery of my GT4 in July, I'm also coming from a 997.1 GT3.

Good video, I like comments about the GT4 > GT3... prevents those feelings of regret.

Mind sharing your best time?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

This review covers all the things one isn't supposed to do while driving on the track and gives the wrong impression for those that are thinking about doing it

1) You pay too much attention to the camera.
2) You are not focused on what you are doing.
3) Your hands and your eyes are all over the place.
4) You are driving cones like a first time student but are trying to show novice student with some minimal experience.
5) Etc.

I realize the kudoos you want to get and have been getting for your reviews but this track driving video should not be used to further your career. IMHO its shows your limitations; to a fault.

Flame away.

BTW:
That camera mount looks way to flimsy for the size and weight of the camera - while trying to advocate track driving, and review of, a GT4.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:45 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
This review covers all the things one isn't supposed to do while driving on the track and gives the wrong impression for those that are thinking about doing it

4) You are driving cones like a first time student but are trying to show novice student with some minimal experience.
5) Etc.

I realize the kudoos you want to get and have been getting for your reviews but this track driving video should not be used to further your career. IMHO its shows your limitations; to a fault.

Flame away.

BTW:
That camera mount looks way to flimsy for the size and weight of the camera - while trying to advocate track driving, and review of, a GT4.
Again - you are so righteous ....what is it like to be so perfect?
Old 05-10-2016, 11:47 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice review!
Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by otisdog
Again - you are so righteous ....what is it like to be so perfect?
I hate to see how he criticizes his wife or gf in bed lol.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:22 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

From one Asian to another:

Unless you have an English accent, no Asian man has any business using the words 'peach' or 'honey' as an adjective! It makes people cringe! LOL!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:37 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another great video Sam... Keep 'em coming.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:39 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Unless you have an English accent, no Asian man has any business using the words 'peach' or 'honey' as an adjective! It makes people cringe! LOL!
Joe you are honey and a peach at the same time...daaahhhhlllliiiiinnnnngggggg....

Last edited by golfnutintib; 05-11-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:39 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB

5) Etc.

Flame away.

BTW:
Dear God... What's your deal? I swear I don't think I've ever seen you post anything positive. Are you that freaking miserable?

Get off your high horse and give it a rest.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:42 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I enjoyed the vid. Thanks for posting!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

peach/honey. i heard of it before....oh, redtube.... yes, there.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:02 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Joe you are honey and a peach at the same time...daaahhhhlllliiiiinnnnngggggg....
Lmao! You got me, Steve!!

Originally Posted by mooty
peach/honey. i heard of it before....oh, redtube.... yes, there.
Lol!

Quick Reply: Just had my first GT4 track day at The Ridge! My Review. [VIDEO]