Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

430/360 v GT4

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:33 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Really just curious, never owned an F car before and always wanted one when I was younger. Maintenance costs are the only thing really holding me back from buying one. I love the GT4 and have 0 complaints with it, just have car ADD. Even looking at R8 V10 6spd as they have really come down in price.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:56 PM
carcrazyteen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In MY experience the 360 has been fairly inexpensive compared to what I was expecting, but I drive it a lot and follow the recommended schedule. No engine outs or madness like that, just fluids and such annually. Belts every 30k.

I do know the less you drive them the more they will cost to fix.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazyteen
I do know the less you drive them the more they will cost to fix.
Interesting, do you know why that is? I'd think as long as you drove it "regularly" (like once every few days), you'd be fine, even if you didn't drive a lot.

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
The only Ferrari I would even remotely consider trading the GT4 for would be a 458. OK, maybe a 430 Scuderia.

The standard 430 may be slightly faster in a straight line, but has decade old technology. The 360 doesn't even come close for me.
I would think that the 430 would be faster in almost every way, even if it is decade old technology, buuut I'm not sure.

It'll also sound better, look better, and probably feel better, too, between more communicative steering (hydraulic) and, well... #becauseferrari

I kind of want to buy an F430 some day... just hope they don't start to appreciate too much any time soon.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:21 PM
carcrazyteen
Advanced

I meant more the cars that sit tend to have more issues. I thing just regular intervals of driving tend to be better. Not a lot, just some. One of my friends got a 360 a few years ago and drives it maybe once every month or 2, usually very briefly. His seems to throw warning lights more often. Not really any issues but more warning lights.

I just did a road trip in mine over 2k miles and it was phenomenal.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:40 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think the F1 is bad as folks here are making it out to be. It's no dual clutch and it takes some getting used to. A quick test drive isn't going to win anyone over but my enjoyment of the car never suffered for it.

Manual cars are out there though if you are willing to look and pay a few dollars more. Asking prices on manuals are on the way up for 360/430 too so as long as the trend continues it'll be tough to lose.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the GT4 is a new car with warranty for under 100k

The 360 and 430 might be around the same price point now, but no warranty. they are not new cars.

The GT4 can be used daily and pounded hard on and off the track even when out of warranty.

I am not sure i would want to pound on a 360 or 430 on and off the track when out of warranty.

Different cars for different people, but for ease of ownership over the life of the vehicle the GT4 wins.

That being said, a 360 or 430 is a great way to scratch that Ferrari itch for not awhole lot of money up front. 6 speeds are last of the breed.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:08 AM
brel
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seriously considered a F430 instead of the GT4, but went with the GT4 for all the reasons Smoltz mentioned. The bottom line, I felt the GT4 is a better performing car that will be a lot easier, and less expensive, to run and live with.

I still have a craving for an F-car, but, other than 458, nothing modern attracts me. It will be interesting to see what 2018 Dino will be like.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:50 AM
JustACarGuy
Advanced

If you're seriously considering an F430, I would urge you to test drive a McLaren 12C first if you haven't already.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:25 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JustACarGuy
If you're seriously considering an F430, I would urge you to test drive a McLaren 12C first if you haven't already.
Looked at them, just worried resale is going to tank even more on them. Figured the Ferrari is around its bottom point right now.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:11 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,209 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Looked at them, just worried resale is going to tank even more on them. Figured the Ferrari is around its bottom point right now.
Investment wise, the Ferrari is the smart buy now
Old 05-11-2016, 09:14 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
If you're trying to get the Ferrari bug out of your system, the McLaren or a Lambo won't do it!

I had to get that bug out of my system - three times. My two cents - if you buy an early 360 or an early 430 and keep it for 18 months you probably won't get killed on depreciation. You'll get the experience of Ferrari ownership - which is very enjoyable. It's intense in a way that Porsche ownership isn't - much more of an element of fear! Each time you turn the key and the car starts there's a palpable sense of relief - not something you get in a modern P-car.

Setting aside the issue of just having to scratch the itch of Ferrari ownership, I'd say that if you are looking for a weekend toy and don't want to track the car, a 430 (or 360) will be a fun experience. I know I enjoyed it - but don't want it again!
Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 AM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Originally Posted by tstafford
If you're trying to get the Ferrari bug out of your system, the McLaren or a Lambo won't do it!

I had to get that bug out of my system - three times. My two cents - if you buy an early 360 or an early 430 and keep it for 18 months you probably won't get killed on depreciation. You'll get the experience of Ferrari ownership - which is very enjoyable. It's intense in a way that Porsche ownership isn't - much more of an element of fear! Each time you turn the key and the car starts there's a palpable sense of relief - not something you get in a modern P-car.

Setting aside the issue of just having to scratch the itch of Ferrari ownership, I'd say that if you are looking for a weekend toy and don't want to track the car, a 430 (or 360) will be a fun experience. I know I enjoyed it - but don't want it again!
Why couldn't/wouldn't you track it? Just reliability concerns?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:52 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Why couldn't/wouldn't you track it? Just reliability concerns?
You certainly could. But I think the maintenance costs, god forbid repair costs, etc. could be staggering.

I always felt the cars were delicate. Probably just my constant fear of something going wrong. They were more works of art for me than truly sports cars. YMMV
Old 05-11-2016, 12:55 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Originally Posted by tstafford
You certainly could. But I think the maintenance costs, god forbid repair costs, etc. could be staggering.

I always felt the cars were delicate. Probably just my constant fear of something going wrong. They were more works of art for me than truly sports cars. YMMV
Heh, I guess I've sort of gotten that impression about Ferraris (and other exotics)... but personally, a Ferrari has almost no appeal to me if I can't track it, and I'm not yet rich enough to do so if maintenance and repairs are that much of a concern.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:11 PM
3sixoh
2nd Gear

Ferraris are like having a beautiful sexy wife. When they are good they are hot, sexy, fun and get you all the attention you can stand.
When they are off they can break your heart and are bitchy, moody and prone to lock up.
In the end you get divorced and it ends up costing you half of all your money if you are lucky.
Everyone should have one of each in their life at some time or another.

Quick Reply: 430/360 v GT4