Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

New Owner with Track Questions

Old 05-08-2016, 08:34 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts
Default New Owner with Track Questions

I have ordered what I was told to be one of the last GT4'sto come off the line! I did not get an original allocation but mid-AprilI got a call from the dealer asking if I was interested and I could not pass upthe chance. I ended up ordering a Guards Red car with heated seats, LEDinterior lighting and larger fuel tank, as far as I was concerned the rest ofthe car was perfect.

Other than my wife’s 981 Boxster S and Macan S, which wasjust for fun, I have never seriously owned and tracked a Porsche so thespecifics of the car are completely foreign to me. My background was first with Tracking a TransAM, then Corvette, Bikes, more Corvettes, STI’s and a settled into racing mycurrent S2000 in the NASA TT series.

My plan for the GT4 is to drive it around town to variousevents, road trips through the twistys and track days. Generally I start with having the caraligned, it appears with a sticky street tire that 2.5 deg front and -2.0 degrear should be doable if I drop the car a ½” or so. Then throw on a set of DS1.11 pads and takeit for a spin.

So now for the questions. I am sorry if they are basic, Ihave been reading for days now and still trying to take it all in.

• Can anyone confirm that lowering will allow theadditional camber?
  • Does anyone know of extended risers for therear wing? Seems a bit low and getting it in the cleaners air stream might be beneficial.
  • If I want to run 19’s are Tarett’s Rear Low-Profiletoe links required? I was hoping to getthe car on a set of 19x8.5 +53MM and 19x11 +42MM running RE-71R in 245/40/19Front and 285/35/19’s Rear for the Track.
  • Are the front and rear GT4 pads the same as theGT3’s?

Thanksfor any help you can give me!

Old 05-08-2016, 08:42 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1. Haven't seen anything specific to the GT4 about this, but to my knowledge, lowering always increases camber, though I can't give you a millimeter drop to degrees of camber ratio. But the GT4 sits so low from the factory that you may not want to lower it too much further if you'll be using it on the road.

2. Haven't seen anything like that, although considering that Porsche (including AP) emphasizes that you need to adjust the front aero by removing the air dams to maintain balance even if you want to increase the wing attack angle, I would imagine that extending the wing further would significantly shift the downforce balance to the rear of the car, ignoring other questions like whether the rest of the car is designed strongly enough to handle the extra load back there without breaking something.

3. I don't think the stock toe links will clear a 19" wheel since the Tarett links specifically call that out as a feature on the GT4, but I'm not certain about this, and if you decide against lowering or can't get the camber you want in the rear that way, then you'll need to replace the stock links anyway. In fact you might even need to replace the toe links to hit that camber even via lowering, but again I'm not sure.

4. Yes.

If you haven't already, I'd strongly recommend looking at the first post of the GT4 Track Wiki thread.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:44 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deleted
Old 05-08-2016, 08:48 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Look at the Wiki thread.

GMG / vorsteiner have risers available. But you need to pair it with front aero to keep everything in balance.

Welcome!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:22 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

I had not read the Wiki page, lots of great info. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2016, 01:11 PM
lee beng chan
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I am in a similar predicament as well. But mine is whether to purchase (1) used targa 2014 4S, 1 owner, 3000 miles, options and specs to what I want or (2) buy brand new 991.2 coupe S, configure my own dream specs and wait 6 months. I am torn because of price. The used targa is USD 500,000 and brand new C2 S coupe is USD 600,000, brand new C2 basic with options is USD 550,000. Buying brand new targa is out of my budget. So basically a used targa 991.1 or a brand new coupe 991.2 one consideration is if I am spending so much get a brand new one? The other way of looking at it is if it is so expensive better to get used. I am also concerned about the torque at higher RPM for the 1.1 I do enjoy an open top, but as I am in the city in singapore, daily used is better with the 1.2 cons of the higher torque at low range? My specific question is, for city driving, how sluggish or bas would then1.1 4S be
Old 12-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Leuz
Rennlist Member

My .2 cents and personal experience, which people much more experts than I am seem to share, is to keep the car stock until you know exactly how you want the car. I've had lots of fun with my stock GT4, on back roads and track.
Am I planning on adding mods? yes. Do I know which ones now? absolutely not.
Also, my driving style and experience may be much more basic than yours, so in that case discard what I just said.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:31 PM
tstafford
Rennlist Member

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Leuz
My .2 cents and personal experience, which people much more experts than I am seem to share, is to keep the car stock until you know exactly how you want the car. I've had lots of fun with my stock GT4, on back roads and track.
Am I planning on adding mods? yes. Do I know which ones now? absolutely not.
Also, my driving style and experience may be much more basic than yours, so in that case discard what I just said.
This is what I'm doing too.

My first mods are coming this off season: bucket seats, roll bar and harness.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:39 PM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I put two track days and about 6K miles before my first mod - more aggressive alignment. Kept the suspension components stock, so I'm maxed out at 2 degrees up front, car is 10mm lower than stock.

Next mod is brey Krause harness mount, Cantrell sub bar, GT3 harness, and HANS. Skipping the harness bar for weight/visibility advantage.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:40 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts
Default DONT MOD YET!

My recommendation if you are new to running a Porsche Cayman or GT4 on the track, is to make mods slowly and methodically, where you can feel AND measure the difference from stock.

I would not even recommend you change the basics - until you know the before and after effects on the track. A pro drove my car 7:45 at the Nurburg Ring completely stock. John from BGB refused to make any 2 mods, until he did laps with each adjustment.

For me, the steps would like this:

Step 1 - full aero stock. Test

Step 2 - max stock track alignment stock - soft front / hard rear. Test

Step 3 - add adjustable rear tow links, more aggressive track alignment. Test

Step 4 - tire change to RE-71Rs. Test

Step 5 - other suspension adjustments, springs, wing riser, etc.

These are all big adjustments which do change the way the car drives. Really, doing them all up front will mask any of the car's tendencies which you should know before you "fix" them.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
My recommendation if you are new to running a Porsche Cayman or GT4 on the track, is to make mods slowly and methodically, where you can feel AND measure the difference from stock. I would not even recommend you change the basics - until you know the before and after effects on the track. A pro drove my car 7:45 at the Nurburg Ring completely stock. John from BGB refused to make any 2 mods, until he did laps with each adjustment. For me, the steps would like this: Step 1 - full aero stock. Test Step 2 - max stock track alignment stock - soft front / hard rear. Test Step 3 - add adjustable rear tow links, more aggressive track alignment. Test Step 4 - tire change to RE-71Rs. Test Step 5 - other suspension adjustments, springs, wing riser, etc. These are all big adjustments which do change the way the car drives. Really, doing them all up front will mask any of the car's tendencies which you should know before you "fix" them.
This is sage advice IMO. Ive made the mistake of changing too much at once and will not do that again. Play with what the factory gave you first, then if you are still not happy with tire wear or handling make further changes slowly. There are compromises for going aggressive with set up and it's easy to denegrate your enjoyment on the road for a few tenths you could easily have found through time, tuition and driver improvements..,
Old 12-05-2016, 07:50 PM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great advice on this thread. I'm likely keeping mine stock as I love the street/track balance this car has and I don't want to compromise that. Maybe another year of tracking before possible minor mods.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:56 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

LOL

I didn't see anything in his question about a GT4, but only about a 991.1 or .2. I think he posted in the wrong forum but everybody ignored it or just wanted to up their post count.

LOL
Old 12-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Leuz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
LOL

I didn't see anything in his question about a GT4, but only about a 991.1 or .2. I think he posted in the wrong forum but everybody ignored it or just wanted to up their post count.

LOL
I think _you_ posted in the wrong thread, brother. +1 on my post count
Old 12-05-2016, 10:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Leuz
I think _you_ posted in the wrong thread, brother. +1 on my post count
Posted today which brought the thread back up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Owner with Track Questions