Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki:

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 05:29 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Multi Link update

John,

speaking of the multi-link, can you give us an update?

is this something that can be reversed once it's added (say, you decide to sell the car and want to replace OEM stuff)

also, any problems with local technicians providing service/repairs once it leaves your shop?

thanks,
Steve

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
I'm not sure if you were there at the same event last week with Gennaro, but there was a second one of our guys there at the same time with a yellow GT4 (Dave) that we set up, also with our Multi Link, banner, and some other go fast bits.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I don't know anything about that multilink rear suspension but I can tell you it works!
I chased a Autoquest cheater GT4 at Road America.
Best I could do is stay even with him in my stock RS, driving ***** out.

It was so fast I followed him into the pit. Noticed fresh R7, OK..
The owner is a hell of a driver and a good liar haha, he made me just about crap my pants when he said it was stock LOL.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
John,

speaking of the multi-link, can you give us an update?

is this something that can be reversed once it's added (say, you decide to sell the car and want to replace OEM stuff)

also, any problems with local technicians providing service/repairs once it leaves your shop?

thanks,
Steve
Sure thing Steve, thanks for asking. At this point we have the kit installed on 6 GT4's and 2 Clubsports, and all are exceeding the expectations of ourselves and the owners.

The kit is bolt-on and fully reversible, so no concerns there. As for service, as always we prefer to do as much of the work on the kits ourselves. In the event of service required outside of our facility by an experienced shop, we fully support our product and will work with you and/or the shop to get you back on track as soon as possible. We are just a phone call or text away and you can consider us available at any time.

PM sent, we can chat a bit more in depth about it : )

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I don't know anything about that multilink rear suspension but I can tell you it works!
I chased a Autoquest cheater GT4 at Road America.
Best I could do is stay even with him in my stock RS, driving ***** out.

It was so fast I followed him into the pit. Noticed fresh R7, OK..
The owner is a hell of a driver and a good liar haha, he made me just about crap my pants when he said it was stock LOL.
I have a feeling I know who this driver in question is, a few other poor souls like yourself fell victim to that little prank lol. I appreciate you chiming in with your experience : )
Old 02-06-2018, 11:55 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Moderate Track Use:

Recommended settings are:

Front: Camber -2.5 to – 2.75; Toe zero, (or maybe very slightly toe out)
Rear: Camber -2.0 to -2.25; Toe in.

Caster: Center the front wheels in the well in order to minimize potential rubbing. For most this will be around a caster of about 9. Rear caster should not be a problem at these settings.

Notes:

In order to overcome the oem limitation for adding camber while maintaining appropriate toe and caster settings, aftermarket parts will need to be installed.
You will need shims to add camber, rear toe links to adjust rear toe and either front caster bushings, or adjustable thrust arms, to adjust front caster.

These parts are available either from Tarett Engineering or RSS Performance Components for Porsche.

Shim Kit:

http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss-align...i-1890057.aspx

Rear Toe Links:

http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss-adjus...i-2243823.aspx

http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...lnk-detail.htm

Caster Bushings OR Adjustable Thrust Arms:

http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...a01-detail.htm
http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...010-detail.htm

TIP: On the GT4 the rear toe settings seems to slip easily. It is recommended that if you install the above aftermarket parts it is also wise to install toe lockout kits from either Tarett or RSS.

http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss-adjus.../i-541194.aspx

http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...t01-detail.htm
do I need to buy caster bushings? i'm looking to go with a front negative camber of -2.5. will stock caster adjustments be adequate? (or even adjustable??)
Old 02-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
do I need to buy caster bushings? i'm looking to go with a front negative camber of -2.5. will stock caster adjustments be adequate? (or even adjustable??)
I posted this in another thread, but I will post it here as well. Check out this link regarding options for adding front camber:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9779...de-height.html

After talking with Ira at Tarett, I went the camber plate route too. With the strut tower adjustment slots at max and the camber plates installed, I got to -2.7 degrees on my GT4. I went for camber plates for the following reasons:
  • My main concern was tire wear, so I was not worried about increasing track width (a benefit of using shims)
  • Using shims, I was worried about thread engagement on the front tie rod ends as well as the effect on caster of the lengthened control arms. The Tarett camber plates correct for caster, and alleviated my concern on the thread engagement
  • Cost - the shim kit, thrust arm busings (to correct caster), and tie rod ends (for thread engagement) were going to run me around $950. The camber plates were less than 1/2 of that at $450.
  • Ease of install - I do all my own work, so ease of install was important to me. The camber plates are super easy to install. It literally took me 30 min to do the first side, and 10 min to do the second side. Re-aligning to get back to zero toe took the longest!

Most people go the shim route, and I know you don't need to adjust caster or necessarily worry about thread engagement, but for me I like the camber plate route better. My $0.02
Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I agree with Klepper. I used shims to get -2.8 F when I first setup the car. I have since lowered the front ride height 10 mm and am getting some rubbing, some of which is due to excessive caster. I'm now removing some of the shims and adding camber plates. This will move the top of the tire inboard and relieve the rubbing as well as somewhat correcting caster.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:46 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I agree with Klepper. I used shims to get -2.8 F when I first setup the car. I have since lowered the front ride height 10 mm and am getting some rubbing, some of which is due to excessive caster. I'm now removing some of the shims and adding camber plates. This will move the top of the tire inboard and relieve the rubbing as well as somewhat correcting caster.
+1 on the Tarett Race plates.

http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...9#ITEM_7054732
Old 02-08-2018, 09:10 PM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon

OEM GT3 > Tarett.
The OEM GT3 piece is the same as what comes on GT4 CS.
It is what Porsche Motorsport uses, and I believe it is even cheaper + shipping, than Tarett.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:43 PM
fastauto
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTS_Ninja
OEM GT3 > Tarett.
The OEM GT3 piece is the same as what comes on GT4 CS.
It is what Porsche Motorsport uses, and I believe it is even cheaper + shipping, than Tarett.
Can someone confirm this works and is the same if not better than the tarett? Part number?
Old 06-06-2018, 02:10 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to keep the setup simple without buying more suspension bits.

Here is my mild setup
RSS rear toe w lock
Tarett Spring kit
ShimsTIres = re71r 245/285 19s
sway - med/hard - i tried med/med just experimenting....
Alignment - F -2.8 R -2.3 front toe 0 Rear = 4mm in Caster front is 10.8 - now do you guys recommend bringing that down to 9 ish? I drive a lot of tight turn corners in my track. From what i understand, higher caster gives a little more stability

I have no rubbing in the front but I would like to stuff in 265 in the future. Do i need to get the Thrust arm bushing kit to correct the caster value? I guess the negative aspect of higher caster is i have to turn more to achieve same radius as lower caster? Maybe im not understand something.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:33 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I am running a track-focussed setup with 3.5 neg F and R and 19" wheels. The rear was simple with just RSS toe links required. The front has involved changing a bunch of parts to get get a) the camber right and b) to then get the wheels back centred after holing out a set of guard liners.
Then at the track yesterday my track support mechanic said they now fit cup car adjustable strut tops and it allows the required camber with a a whole lot less bottom shims and they only cost about A$600 a pair plus fitting. Has any one else done that and got the result they want? If so I am not so happy having spent quite a lot on the advice of another garage to get where I am now. The setup is good and does what I want (plus I guess it's all rose joint mounted) but if the alternative is just as good, cheaper and uses genuine Porsche parts then I think I would have done that.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:56 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

My GT4 under hard threshhold braking, the rear end gets alittle squirrelly. Nothing unmanageable, but wondering if rear toe links would settle it down. Running max camber on stock suspension, med/hard on the front/rear sways.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:13 PM
AutoquestMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GT4 under hard threshhold braking, the rear end gets alittle squirrelly. Nothing unmanageable, but wondering if rear toe links would settle it down. Running max camber on stock suspension, med/hard on the front/rear sways.
Yes the rear toe links do make an improvement, allowing you to create more toe in on the rear with a smidge less toe out condition under hard braking. That being said, due to the basic geometry of the strut style rear suspension it isn't going to completely resolve the issue, hence the reason we developed the multi link rear suspension conversion for the GT4. Below is the GT4's factory toe curve versus that of our multilink, which is transformational to say the least. More geometry curves for comparison are available on our website here.

Last edited by AutoquestMotorsports; 06-19-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:19 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Would a worn lsd also produce similar behavior under hard braking?
Old 06-19-2018, 02:23 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Don't shoot me for offering a silly idea, but what happens if you take a few lbs out of the rear tires?

What hot pressures are you running (and which tires and size)?

In my experience, taking a few pounds out has helped eliminate the squirreliness you describe.

Quick Reply: Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki: