nano coating on Xpel

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 04:49 AM
GT4VR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nano coating on Xpel

Getting my GT4 in a week's time.

Having Xpel installed on the front and around the wheels. Have read about nano coating on this forum, but never had that done before. How is it applied differently on the Xpel areas vs the non-Xpel areas of the car?

If I had a detailer I already trusted I would just let them do their thing, but I recently moved and there are only a couple shops in the area that do this kind of thing.

Using these guys for the Xpel: http://www.nordicwrapping.no/index.p...article&id=116
And these guys for Nano: http://www.ceramicpro.oslo.no/silver-pakke/

My goal is to walk into the shop with as much knowledge as possible so I can ask the right questions to figure out first if they really know what they're doing at the same level as for example @Detailed Designs in Atlanta. If they don't, I still don't have any other options but at least I can tell them specifically what it is I want them to do.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:04 AM
DuncGT4
Intermediate

Had mine coated on top of the film, they just gave it 2 coats like the painted areas of the car that wasn't coated in film
Find it great and dirt just falls off very easy
Old 05-02-2016, 08:51 AM
dntlvet
Pro

So ....... what is nano coating? An organic or non-organic product. Chemical or ionic bone. What is it?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:34 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4VR
Getting my GT4 in a week's time.

Having Xpel installed on the front and around the wheels. Have read about nano coating on this forum, but never had that done before. How is it applied differently on the Xpel areas vs the non-Xpel areas of the car?

If I had a detailer I already trusted I would just let them do their thing, but I recently moved and there are only a couple shops in the area that do this kind of thing.

Using these guys for the Xpel: http://www.nordicwrapping.no/index.p...article&id=116
And these guys for Nano: http://www.ceramicpro.oslo.no/silver-pakke/

My goal is to walk into the shop with as much knowledge as possible so I can ask the right questions to figure out first if they really know what they're doing at the same level as for example @Detailed Designs in Atlanta. If they don't, I still don't have any other options but at least I can tell them specifically what it is I want them to do.
Coatings can be applied to the film in a similar manner same as the paint. The top coat of XPEL is an automotive grade clear coat, which is why coatings are popular on top of XPEL.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:16 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Application on film vs. paint is very similar. One of the main differences is that you wouldn't need to polish or decontaminate the film itself prior to application. Some detailers will polish / decon the paint underneath the film prior to the film being applied, but that is a different issue.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

For the sake of the information being publicly available...

If you coat clear bra, my advice is to only use the main coating over PPF. Do not use a primer and do not use a lesser coating if offered one. Ideally, a proper coating without a primer will last longer. If offered a top coat over your primary coating, sure...why not. But again, do not opt for a lesser coating solution.

Coatings do not perform exactly the same over PPF as they do over clear coat. They are still great over PPF but slickness is only as good as the foundation and PPF is not as smooth as clear coat.

My advice is to have the coating application at minimum 24 hours after the PPF is installed. This gives ample opportunity for any lifting to occur and be addressed and water/slip/gel be evacuated. Some shops are big on a quickie in and out service(no thanks).

Finally, inspect for lifted corners before leaving the shop. Sometimes, during installation of PPF technicians can apply too much pressure on a weaker PPF corner and lift it. If coating gets under the film, it will either need to be trimmed back or replaced.

Have fun! And there are a number of potential professionals for you. https://www.facebook.com/ModestaScandinavia
Old 05-02-2016, 07:18 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dntlvet
So ....... what is nano coating? An organic or non-organic product. Chemical or ionic bone. What is it?
Some are inorganic(Modesta is one) and some are not. But isn't an ionic bond a type of chemical bond? Not sure how to answer the last part.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:17 AM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs

If you coat clear bra, my advice is to only use the main coating over PPF. Do not use a primer and do not use a lesser coating if offered one. Ideally, a proper coating without a primer will last longer. If offered a top coat over your primary coating, sure...why not. But again, do not opt for a lesser coating solution.

Coatings do not perform exactly the same over PPF as they do over clear coat. They are still great over PPF but slickness is only as good as the foundation and PPF is not as smooth as clear coat.

My advice is to have the coating application at minimum 24 hours after the PPF is installed. This gives ample opportunity for any lifting to occur and be addressed and water/slip/gel be evacuated. Some shops are big on a quickie in and out service(no thanks).

Finally, inspect for lifted corners before leaving the shop. Sometimes, during installation of PPF technicians can apply too much pressure on a weaker PPF corner and lift it. If coating gets under the film, it will either need to be trimmed back or replaced.

Have fun! And there are a number of potential professionals for you. https://www.facebook.com/ModestaScandinavia
Thanks for the advice! For Modesta, which coating is considered the main/primary coating?
Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Thanks for the advice! For Modesta, which coating is considered the main/primary coating?
Modesta's primer is P01-A. Your common options for pure coating over ppf would be BC-03, BC-04, BC-05 and soon to be BC-08.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

....snip!
Finally, inspect for lifted corners before leaving the shop. Sometimes, during installation of PPF technicians can apply too much pressure on a weaker PPF corner and lift it.

If coating gets under the film, it will either need to be trimmed back or replaced.

Thank you for your expertise here
I love coatings and consider adding films a good sacrificial item to save paint from flying debris so usually have both. Is there any benefit to coating the whole paint job prior to applying film?
Will coatings impede film adhesion?

Much appreciated.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Thank you for your expertise here
I love coatings and consider adding films a good sacrificial item to save paint from flying debris so usually have both. Is there any benefit to coating the whole paint job prior to applying film?
Will coatings impede film adhesion?

Much appreciated.
You're welcome.

There is no benefit to coating prior to PPF being installed. As a matter of fact, the coating will have a negative affect on the PPF's ability to adhere to the paint.

If someone is suggesting they coat your paint then apply PPF I would question their knowledge and/or motives.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:21 PM
GT4VR
Instructor

You're welcome.

There is no benefit to coating prior to PPF being installed. As a matter of fact, the coating will have a negative affect on the PPF's ability to adhere to the paint.

If someone is suggesting they coat your paint then apply PPF I would question their knowledge and/or motives.
Thanks for all the advice here! It's really great having you as a resident expert on this forum. Super helpful. Cheers!
Old 05-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My XPEL installer did full XPEL ultimate wrap on my GT4. On top of the XPEL he used Ceramic Pro Light which is super hydrophobic. Helps shed dirt and making washing even easier. Also helps dirt that gets in the seams and other areas that the PPF can't cover.

I don't notice it as much on my GT4 since it doesn't see bad weather much nor daily use and the Ceramic Pro Light doesn't really help with tire rubber marks from the track. My daily driver S4 has partial XPEL ultimate plus Ceramic Pro 9H and Light and the nano coatings are awesome. HTH.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:32 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Modesta BC-04+BC-05 put on top of the Xpel ultimate on my GT4.

I'm going to the 1st to get BC-08 on my daily driver (BMW X3) from my local Modesta dealer.

-mark
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

I also had Modesta BC-04 over XPEL Ultimate at the recommendation of my installer Tim @ Adonis. He did a whole write up of the process here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9265...o-coating.html

Quick Reply: nano coating on Xpel