Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

How do you wash your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:55 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Mine all get washed every 2 weeks. Wheels come off once a month on the second wash to both clean the barrels on the wheels and inspect/clean the brakes. Once a year they get clayed, polished if needed and waxed. Twice a year they go on a lift and get washed underneath. Makes them nicer to work on since I am the warranty on all of them. Plus it just makes it easier to spot something that's starting to go wrong before it becomes a bigger issue.

The interiors don't get much abuse so they are always easily wiped down and vacuumed. They all still look like the day we bought them.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:03 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

Note that the CR Spotless is just water softener resin. If you have a water softener and can tap off soft water, you should have an endless supply.
CR Spotless is actually a deionizer. Different than your traditional water softener.

https://www.portablewatersoftener.co...-and-deionizer
Old 07-19-2018, 08:36 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Old 07-19-2018, 10:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
CR Spotless is actually a deionizer. Different than your traditional water softener.

https://www.portablewatersoftener.co...-and-deionizer
Ah good to know, thanks! I thought it was just water softener resin.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:37 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
What foam gun is that? What soap do you use? That certainly looks faster and more efficient than a wash rag and two buckets.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3
What foam gun is that? What soap do you use? That certainly looks faster and more efficient than a wash rag and two buckets.
foam cannon doesn't obviate the need for a good wash mitt and 2 bucket method.

the purpose of the foam is to stick, loosen grime, and provide the all-important lubricity when putting soap soaked wash mitt to paint surface. lubrication is key to preventing swirls and scratches when washing.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:36 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 129 Posts

I used to not care much but after reading the forums here and m3post over the years I have gotten a bit more into it. Typical wash is rinse, foam, two bucket, rinse, then dry. 20-30 on the GTI, 25-40 on the macan, and the GT4 took about the same as the GT4. The only thing I don't do is take off the wheels to clean. I will usually use a brush on the wheels but I am not too concerned with the inner barrel. Every once in a while I will clay and ironX/Trix. I try and not spend more than an hour a hour a week working on car cleaning. I know it sounds ridiculous but with the incoming 3.2 I am going to get a full wrap and ceramic and I might just start going to touchless auto washes if it gets the car clean. If it doesn't I am hoping it at least makes my car cleaning easier to do. There's something about drying a car though that annoys me.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Dont forget the undercarriage guys.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,164 Posts

LOL!
Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 PM
JPR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
I used to not care much but after reading the forums here and m3post over the years I have gotten a bit more into it. Typical wash is rinse, foam, two bucket, rinse, then dry. 20-30 on the GTI, 25-40 on the macan, and the GT4 took about the same as the GT4. The only thing I don't do is take off the wheels to clean. I will usually use a brush on the wheels but I am not too concerned with the inner barrel. Every once in a while I will clay and ironX/Trix. I try and not spend more than an hour a hour a week working on car cleaning. I know it sounds ridiculous but with the incoming 3.2 I am going to get a full wrap and ceramic and I might just start going to touchless auto washes if it gets the car clean. If it doesn't I am hoping it at least makes my car cleaning easier to do. There's something about drying a car though that annoys me.
Try using compressed air to blow off the bulk of the water and the drying becomes a lot easier, specially those areas that trap the water and it tear down for some time before is dries out. Works best on cars with good wax jobs or ceramic coatings. Also wheels and tires are easier to dry our as it blow all the water out of difficult to reach spots.

Jpr
Old 07-20-2018, 12:56 PM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There's something about drying a car though that annoys me.
I despise drying too, but with ceramic coating it became the easiest/quickest part of the cleaning process for me now.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ilovecarbs
I despise drying too, but with ceramic coating it became the easiest/quickest part of the cleaning process for me now.
Ceramic Coating, CR Spotless and Leaf Blower. You'll never have to dry your car again.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Type901
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 62 Posts

It's a lot more expensive than a leaf blower but picking up an Air Force Master Blaster Revolution (made by MetroVac) will change your life, especially if you have a ceramic/glass/nano coating.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:11 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

... I try and not spend more than an hour a hour a week working on car cleaning. I know it sounds ridiculous but with the incoming 3.2 I am going to get a full wrap and ceramic and I might just start going to touchless auto washes if it gets the car clean. If it doesn't I am hoping it at least makes my car cleaning easier to do. There's something about drying a car though that annoys me.
XPEL + Modesta here. I use the electric blower (thanks Allen!) for a few mins to push the majority of the water off the car. Then I go over any leftover spots with Griots quick detailer and a plush microfiber. I wash the car every Saturday and its saved me a bunch of time.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
How do you wash your cars?
With water...

Quick Reply: How do you wash your cars?