Sponsored by: APR

Nice track safety feature

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Nice track safety feature

Not sure if this is useful, or a double post, or not. If yes, let me know and I'll delete.

The direction of the handbrake (push for on, pull for off) for some reason has been annoying me like crazy. But then I read somewhere that in case of total brake failure, say at the end of a long straight like COTA, you can do an emergency lock up by pushing the handbrake button, in which case pushing makes a lot of sense.

BTW, if you test this, make sure you're not going too fast...it makes for a pretty back snapping experience if you don't know what to expect.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:11 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I read that too (in the manual) and have been curious to try it but never did, for two reasons. The first is that the manual doesn't say how it works. I assume that if the use case is brake failure then it doesn't apply the normal brakes, but if it applies only the handbrake, which is only on the rear wheels, that would seem to increase the chance of spinning dramatically. Maybe that's acceptable if the alternative is going full speed into a wall, but that's not something I really want to attempt for no good reason. And second, the manual says you need to hold the button down for emergency braking, which means you can only have one hand on the wheel. Reduced control ability under heavy braking again seems like an unnecessary risk to take just to play around.

But if you've already tried it, let us know what it was like!

(I agree that the operation seemed backwards though! But I've made my peace with it because in the old school truck handbrake handles, you had to pull farther out and twist to release them, so a pull motion was required for both engagement and release, meaning there's no single right way to implement it on a button.)
Old 04-17-2016, 10:18 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
...it makes for a pretty back snapping experience if you don't know what to expect.
Got any video of when you did it?

Old 04-17-2016, 10:18 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by jphughan
I read that too and have been curious to try it but never did, for two reasons. The first is that the manual doesn't say how it works. I assume that if the use case is brake failure then it doesn't apply the normal brakes, but if it applies only the handbrake, which is only on the rear wheels, that would seem to increase the chance of spinning dramatically. Maybe that's acceptable if the alternative is going full speed into a wall, but that's not something I really want to attempt for no good reason. And second, the manual says you need to hold the button down for emergency braking, which means you can only have one hand on the wheel. Reduced control ability under heavy braking again seems like an unnecessary risk to take just to play around.

But if you've already tried it, let us know what it was like!
LOL. Tried it in my neighborhood. Just pushed and held the button all the way going down to the gate. Almost hit my bloody head on the steering wheel.

More seriously, all your points are on spot on. I would guess it's an absolute last resort before hitting a wall/barrier head on. For example, I have now seen two incidents at COTA where someone lost brakes at the end of the straights and hit a barrier head on. First one was a Z51 'vette that lost brakes at end of the T11-T12 straight and totaled his car and second one was a 458 that lost brakes at end of main straight and went into barrier. I guess in both those cases you might use this as last resort to scrape speed before getting to barrier (If you even remember)...
Old 04-17-2016, 10:20 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by ExMB
Got any video of when you did it?

I try and not leave evidence of the stupid things I do in life
Old 04-17-2016, 10:27 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
First one was a Z51 'vette that lost brakes at end of the T11-T12 straight and totaled his car
I was in T11 when it happend and saw the huge dust cloud from him going into the gravel trap when I was going down the back straight. Very scary driving by that incident!

Thanks for the info on the ebrake, good to know in case its needed.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:32 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
I was in T11 when it happend and saw the huge dust cloud from him going into the gravel trap when I was going down the back straight. Very scary driving by that incident!

Thanks for the info on the ebrake, good to know in case its needed.
That car was 8ft shorter. Amazing job by GM - the driver walked away.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:51 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
That car was 8ft shorter. Amazing job by GM - the driver walked away.
Yeah, it was sobering to see the car after the incident. He is a good guy, a shame I haven't seen him back out at the track. We had our ZL1's at the same time and I would chase him around COTA before he got the Vette. Really glad he walked away.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:55 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Anybody find out what was behind sudden and total brake failure like that? There was no warning when the driver was braking for T11? Scary to think that's possible....
Old 04-17-2016, 11:00 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
Yeah, it was sobering to see the car after the incident. He is a good guy, a shame I haven't seen him back out at the track. We had our ZL1's at the same time and I would chase him around COTA before he got the Vette. Really glad he walked away.
i CAN"T imagine what that experience was like....wow. 150 into a wall..
Old 04-18-2016, 03:32 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Can you reach the parking brake button while cinched down in a 6 point harness with a HANS?
Old 04-18-2016, 04:29 AM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was the only one who couldn't remember which direction (push vs. pull) when dis-engaging or engaging the e- brake.

-mark
Old 04-18-2016, 06:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Anybody find out what was behind sudden and total brake failure like that? There was no warning when the driver was braking for T11? Scary to think that's possible....
My C6 Z51 experienced total system failure. Fortunately it was at an autocross so the results weren't catastrophic. One of my instructors at the time experienced the same approaching Big Bend at Limerock. Totaled the car but also walked away. In my case it was a faulty brake line between the MC and ABS module.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:59 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by Mech33
Can you reach the parking brake button while cinched down in a 6 point harness with a HANS?
Oh Great Question! Never thought of that. No idea, will have to test...
Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 AM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdavis
I thought I was the only one who couldn't remember which direction (push vs. pull) when dis-engaging or engaging the e- brake.

-mark
I consistently try and push it to release it. Then I pull it, then I realize I need to have brake pushed. Why can't there just be a handbrake :-(

Quick Reply: Nice track safety feature