Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Has anyone changed the angle of the LWB seats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 05:36 AM
SGP
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone changed the angle of the LWB seats?

I'm 6'2" and the angle of the LWB are just not right for me. I need a bit more reike on it, so I don't feel like my shoulders are being pushed forward and I can have more support under my legs.

I'm guessing that new lateral brackets are the best solution rather than spacer in the front part of the tray. I'm wondering if anyone's tried to play with it already.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2016, 11:51 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a similar complaint on my 997.2 w/ GT2 seats. My HANS needed a smidge more room to the seatback. My race shop added some spacers (~10mm thick washer) under the front seat rail bolts that secure the seat to the chassis. That tipped the seat back just enough to make it comfortable again.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:25 PM
SGP
Track Day

Thanks. I'll look into adding spacers then.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:43 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 565 Posts

Had same issue in my Cayman R. Partly because of HANS and partly cause I'm 5'4" and wanted to see over dash bin a le and left side mirror which perfectly blocked my vision.

My shop had custom shims machined. I'll dig em out and post a photo.....but if you can do washers it sounds cheaper, easier and quicker. I suspect I needed a much bigger adjustment and a stack of washers wasn't the way to go. My seat went up with a slight recline.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:33 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SGP
I'm 6'2" and the angle of the LWB are just not right for me. I need a bit more reike on it, so I don't feel like my shoulders are being pushed forward and I can have more support under my legs.

I'm guessing that new lateral brackets are the best solution rather than spacer in the front part of the tray. I'm wondering if anyone's tried to play with it already.

Cheers
I may need to try this, too, when I take delivery. I'm same height. BTW, where are the shoulder harness pass-throughs lining up relative to your shoulders? Are they too low?
Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Had same issue in my Cayman R. Partly because of HANS and partly cause I'm 5'4" and wanted to see over dash bin a le and left side mirror which perfectly blocked my vision.

My shop had custom shims machined. I'll dig em out and post a photo.....but if you can do washers it sounds cheaper, easier and quicker. I suspect I needed a much bigger adjustment and a stack of washers wasn't the way to go. My seat went up with a slight recline.
You've been changing avatars so much lately I'm getting dizzy...
Old 04-07-2016, 06:37 PM
SGP
Track Day

Originally Posted by needmoregarage

You'll have height adjustment this time;it has a fairly good amplitude.

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I may need to try this, too, when I take delivery. I'm same height. BTW, where are the shoulder harness pass-throughs lining up relative to your shoulders? Are they too low?
Roughly at the same level, but it's far back enough to stay where it's suppose to. Not an issue at all.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Does anyone have an image of the LWB side attach plates?
Sometimes there are a series of holes for adjustment but since mine has not arrived I don't have a view
Thank you
Old 04-08-2016, 02:28 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SGP
You'll have height adjustment this time;it has a fairly good amplitude.
Yes - John at BGB was kind enough to let me sit in his car with LWB, and ChrisF let me try his at Sebring. I can definitely move the seat up enough for my height. As for angle - that's more difficult to determine until I'm strapped in but I am going to try hard to make it work without making changes. I suspect it'll be adjustable enough for my needs. The only thing I don't like (if I remember this correctly) is that as the seat is raised it seems to tilt a bit forward toward the steering wheel, and it may be at a more "vertical' angle than I'm used to. I plan to give it a generous trial period before I start making changes to OEM set up.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:12 PM
SGP
Track Day

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Does anyone have an image of the LWB side attach plates?
Sometimes there are a series of holes for adjustment but since mine has not arrived I don't have a view
Thank you
I can't post a picture cause I've just dropped off the car at Porsche for shipping it to Canada. But I had checked it already and there are no additional holes on the side plates, and not enough space to make a new one to change the inclination of the seat.

That being said, I'm a bit picky with seat position, but most of people like the way it is. And to be honest, I did about 3000km with the car and I kind of got used to it. Although it's not in the ideal position for me, and of course it's not a comfy sofa seat, I never had any back pain (and I did some long runs).
Old 04-08-2016, 07:20 PM
trlin
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 25 Posts

My race shop made a bracket to use the OEM holes in the side mount and the LWB seat. For me the tilt is perfect now.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trlin
My race shop made a bracket to use the OEM holes in the side mount and the LWB seat. For me the tilt is perfect now.
Very clever. Thanks for posting - it's a great idea and a simple option if I find I need an adjustment..
Old 08-20-2023, 04:43 PM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Received 296 Likes on 106 Posts

Bringing this post back rather than start a new one. I just wanted to share my experience with the Autoquest LWB reclining brackets in my GT4. They were easy to install and are direct replacements to the OEM brackets in the front of the seat, just longer. they effectively raise the front of the seat, which then forces a recline in the rest of the seat. I did both my seats and then drove around for a few weeks with them. At first, I kept hitting my knee on the steering column, when operating the clutch. Because the front of the seat was so much taller, it shortened the distance between my legs and the underside of the dash. I found a way to reposition my leg to accommodate that, but I never really felt truly comfortable driving in that reclined of a position. It could be because I’m shorter than most people, and I have heard that taller people really appreciate the incline position more. Either way, I have now put the driver side back to stock, and below are some photos, showing the stock position versus the modified position, with the seats otherwise in the exact same seating position. if anyone is interested in the extended brackets that I removed, shoot me a PM and make me an offer.

Quick Reply: Has anyone changed the angle of the LWB seats?